SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 31, 2011, 03:17 PM
Joined Jun 2010
706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boopidoo View Post
I don't think the there's a problem putting the GPS under foam. I have it embedded in foam on all my models and it works. The GPS doesn't need clear visibility of the sky.

Agreed. It is common industry practice to sometimes embed microwave antennas (helicals especially) in foam.
cliffkot is offline Find More Posts by cliffkot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2011, 09:29 PM
Fly Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!
Central California USA
Joined Feb 2011
379 Posts
Correct foam has little carbon content. Mostly with Air. Unless burnt or contaminated.
EarthOrbiter is offline Find More Posts by EarthOrbiter
Old Jul 31, 2011, 10:05 PM
Flying low is expensive.
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthOrbiter View Post
Correct foam has little carbon content. Mostly with Air. Unless burnt or contaminated.
Well if my plane catches fire and the foam starts burning, I'd definitely want a clear signal to see all that!
pdiddyg40 is offline Find More Posts by pdiddyg40
Old Jul 31, 2011, 10:27 PM
Fly Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!
Central California USA
Joined Feb 2011
379 Posts
Such is likely a RF burn at a higher freq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddyg40 View Post
Well if my plane catches fire and the foam starts burning, I'd definitely want a clear signal to see all that!
EarthOrbiter is offline Find More Posts by EarthOrbiter
Old Aug 01, 2011, 06:39 AM
Joined Nov 2008
605 Posts
I am not really a plane guy so this might be a naive question: my kit came with 4 control rods and 4 little brass like barrel things, and four machine screws. Are the screws supposed to bite onto the rods as well as screw through the horn or servo arm holes?
if so they don't bite very well, they are not grub screws.
on top of that, if the screws bite on the rods, the holes can't rotate meaning a slight bend on extension

it seems unsafe how do people fix the surface control links using the kit? put another z bend in and use subtrim ?
nyc863 is offline Find More Posts by nyc863
Old Aug 01, 2011, 06:46 AM
Village Idiot!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
ScooterInVegas is offline Find More Posts by ScooterInVegas
Old Aug 01, 2011, 06:47 AM
Fast and low...
Joined Apr 2009
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc863 View Post
I am not really a plane guy so this might be a naive question: my kit came with 4 control rods and 4 little brass like barrel things, and four machine screws. Are the screws supposed to bite onto the rods as well as screw through the horn or servo arm holes?
if so they don't bite very well, they are not grub screws.
on top of that, if the screws bite on the rods, the holes can't rotate meaning a slight bend on extension

it seems unsafe how do people fix the surface control links using the kit? put another z bend in and use subtrim ?
These pics might give you some idea:

Aileron pushrod installation on Skywalker

Similar mechanism on another plane
aa78 is offline Find More Posts by aa78
Old Aug 01, 2011, 06:56 AM
2Vision-Air
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Aug 2009
2,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa78 View Post
Need to register to see the pictures.
bakchos is online now Find More Posts by bakchos
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2011, 07:08 AM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,067 Posts
Just use Dubro EZ Connectors (which should be how it was done from the factory)

I found that using the stock connectors tightens the little brass piece against the servo arm and makes the servo work a little too hard.
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bill Hempel Xtreme Decathlon
Old Aug 01, 2011, 07:13 AM
Joined Nov 2008
605 Posts
thanks that is how mine are done
but those screws they are not grub screws (hmm or are they? i didn't look closely at the end) what I find is even when I tighten them I can, with some force, still slide the rod.. i don't think the end of the screw is "biting" the way a grub screw does with it's tiny cutting ring. one would not want slippage at a moment of maximum need. Maybe I am being pessimistic and you'd not get enough force to slip.
edit: and yes also the screw resists the necessary twist you need in the brass piece it makes my links bow.
the trouble with not being a plane guy is not having a drawer full of alternatives to bad design!
nyc863 is offline Find More Posts by nyc863
Old Aug 01, 2011, 12:15 PM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by octane81 View Post
yes the v3 has a good wing , ive not heard stories about it breaking.
but then again , u have to fly the skywalker like its ment to be flown... i don't think its designed to handle high G forces.

personally i like the v3 better than v4 , because i can put things like GPS etc under the clear "cockpit" hood , and its protected .. and got clear visibility to the sky
I've got the V4 in the build stage and it looks real nice. I thought in V3 they added the outer wing spars, but that they may have not overlapped with the main spar as they do for V4.

I can personally verify in V4 that the outer embedded rod overlaps with the 2 main spars. Here I lay another spar over the spot where the embedded one is and my hand is marking the spot where the spar ends in the wing:

The canopy is not solid which doesn't allow for as much customization, however it's easy to work with and seems much more functional than the clear top canopy IMO:

Its a little weird they also made a platform, but it's not horizontal, rather it's tilted down. Not a big deal, but I don't think I'd use it in the stock angle:

And, the only other think I didn't like is that they put the decals on the plane in the box, and I don't want them, so I've had to remove them and it shows marks where they were on the fuse. Again not a big deal, but if I get a "kit" plane I'd like to decide myself if they go on... and in general, I'm not a decal guy.

Overall, very happy with the plane and nice to seem them iterate the SW already to a V4. After a tight TS2 build the space available and freedom to work on it is a breath of fresh air.
CaliDave is offline Find More Posts by CaliDave
Old Aug 01, 2011, 04:40 PM
Flying low is expensive.
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
The V3 does overlap the wing tubes and the wing reinforcement rod.

BTW: I PM'ed Sander a while ago about the installation of his wing. He does not use a tapered rod. Instead, he tapered the pocket in the wing that the rod goes into. I'm not 100% sure how he did this, I'm trying to figure it out.
pdiddyg40 is offline Find More Posts by pdiddyg40
Old Aug 01, 2011, 06:22 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Servos

Ok pilots,

So after waiting 3+ Months for Hobbyking to send me the HS65MG servos, I still haven't received them. Those clowns are telling me that it can take up to 90 more days (3 months), which I am simply not gonna wait for. Instead of HS65MG, which other servos can I use for the SW FPV platform?? And where can I get them?

Thanks
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
Old Aug 01, 2011, 06:39 PM
RTFM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,178 Posts
you buy these servos , http://www.bevrc.com/beves08ma-p-203.html
octane81 is offline Find More Posts by octane81
Old Aug 01, 2011, 06:40 PM
Illinois, USA
Joined Aug 2009
968 Posts
I am not sure were your located, but I normally order Hitec servos here.
http://servocity.com/html/hs-65mg_mighty_feather.html
vertcnc is offline Find More Posts by vertcnc