to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2010, 12:31 PM
Oleg
Joined Dec 2008
812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorAP View Post
Im using a Turnigy 3530-1400, with a 9X6 APC prop
Thank you for the data! I choose the same motor and prop, but had some doubts until now.
I wonder what thrust it can deliver @ 37 amps? Will it prop-hang?
Syberian is offline Find More Posts by Syberian
Old Jun 15, 2010, 06:12 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonj View Post
I think you will find the reynolds numbers are better for a larger propeller. So running two smaller propellers fast will not be an efficient way to go.

Think of a mesi copter/quad copter, and compare that to a normal two rotor blade helicopter. Flight times are always a problem with the multi blade multi motor machines.

This is probably all moot anyhow, if you are not looking for long flight times.

Back to the skywalker.
What if you extended a dowl out the front with a small weight on it. So as to move the CoG right forward. This might allow you to run smaller lighter packs. Not the most elegant solution, but it would work quite well I think!
Hey 'J' ...I see your still in here batting with the ******s....I guess it passes the time
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Jun 15, 2010, 07:28 PM
South Australia
Joined Mar 2003
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SON OF PALEFACE View Post
Hey 'J' ...I see your still in here batting with the ******s....I guess it passes the time
LOL thats like hangman..........Is there an "F" ?
wilsonj is offline Find More Posts by wilsonj
Old Jun 15, 2010, 09:31 PM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Would two 3mm solid CF rods, 700mm long (2 per wing), be suitable for strengthening the wings? Or would 4mm be better?
Other options are 3 or 4mm hollow tubes? Wouldn't solid be better though?
They can also supply me strips, 0.5mm (Sounds VERY thin....) by either 3mm of 5mm.

Which would be best for trying to strengthen the weak point in the wings?
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Jun 15, 2010, 09:48 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,092 Posts
the strips if placed vertically and glued in place are VERY strong and much lighter than a hollow tube. BTW, hollow in this case is plenty strong when compared to the solid rod.
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Jun 15, 2010, 09:56 PM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Thanks ashdec87.
I like the sound of the strips, but ... 0.5mm is VERY thin. Would it be strong enough?
Old Jun 15, 2010, 10:00 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
Thanks ashdec87.
I like the sound of the strips, but ... 0.5mm is VERY thin. Would it be strong enough?
Easily strong enough.

0.5mm might seem thin... but once glued into a slit cut in the foam you will be surprised at how stiff it will make the wing.
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Jun 15, 2010, 10:02 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,092 Posts
well I generally use about .9mm, I think if you have a couple of them should be ok. But thats a judgement call on your part. Pretty much the purpose of these strips is to spread the load from the end of the spars. They arent taking the full weight of the plane. I think they should be ok if you glue them in well enough.
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Jun 15, 2010, 10:02 PM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Convinced. Thanks guys. Order being placed.
And 70cm (27.5 inches) would be good, right? Crossing the weak point... with 35cmm on each side. I'd put two strips in, maybe 5cm apart.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 10:19 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
Convinced. Thanks guys. Order being placed.
And 70cm (27.5 inches) would be good, right? Crossing the weak point... with 35cmm on each side. I'd put two strips in, maybe 5cm apart.
Look at how Sander did it.... I thought you had been following this thread?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=577
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Jun 16, 2010, 03:21 AM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Thanks galaxiex... I had seen it. I was asking something COMPLETELY unrelated to anything he said. I was asking if tubes would be OK, because I thought 0.5mm seemed too thin. What suggests I didn't read it? You maybe misread something I wrote? I was asking if 700mm, with 350mm on each side of the weak point was OK.... (I've since changed to 500mm, with 250mm on each side)

Anyways, as I said.. then 0.5 mm strips ordered, and I am using 500mm long ones... overlapping the default CF tubes but a bit more. Should work well...

Did a dry fit today... SO close to ready... No motor.. or FMA Copilot... and the CoG comes in at 3cm from the LEading Edge. The added weight of those components should put the CoG closer to the cm CoG recommendation (IIRC). So.. quite pleased!

A few photos. Are the aileron throws OK? I can't get much more than that because the pushrud touches the wing on up throw...

I had my GPS inside the 'ESC' area... the area under the wing joins... and took ages to get a lock... I'm suprised. I thought I'd get a quick lock through the foam. Took it out, and it got a good lock. I maybe have an error in my test though... Initial test inside was a 'cold' start? While the second test was a 'warm' start, and would aquire quicker? However, I suspect it's more the proximity to my ESC (Even though I have no motor connected?) that may be the issue?
Last edited by Cralis; Jun 16, 2010 at 03:33 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 03:31 AM
Yeah Baby
Joined Apr 2006
1,404 Posts
Nice Cralis
what cam are you gonna use or have I missed that, also Like the hatch idea, wished I'd done something like that with my Twinstar
Simon

Edit:- Reckon the throws are way more than enough
bignose13 is online now Find More Posts by bignose13
Old Jun 16, 2010, 03:36 AM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Thanks bignose13.

I had a cheap $25 cam off ebay. It died... and the seller took it back. I decided to upgrade with them to the 480L version for an extra $20. So, I am just waiting for it. Really hope it does the trick.

Hatch was nice.. Problem is, it's not too easy to get to the 'floor' where I have the OSD placed.. but.. it's possible. I need to shorten a few lines. But... am wondering if it's better to have soldered wires, or slighjtly longer wires...
Old Jun 16, 2010, 03:48 AM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts
Hey Cralis, she's looking good mate. I just used hollow 3mmx3mm rod, about 300mm long.

Kev.au is offline Find More Posts by Kev.au