HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:15 AM
John
United States, WA, Mason
Joined Apr 2011
813 Posts
I think I moved directly in front of the antenna for my Vrx, and I lost video to my goggles. By the time I took my goggles off and tried to find it, it was too late. The 4s 5000 battery came throught the front of the plane and the end was stuck about 3" into the ground. The GoPro was actually face down and the back was level with the ground. I had to pry it out. Don't think glue and tape is going to do it this time. -- JOHN
digitalCAM is online now Find More Posts by digitalCAM
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:36 AM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr View Post
If Ive heard correctly, its recommended to set the cg at 30mm behind the stock recommendation of 75mm

Is 105mm behind the leading edge at the wing root correct?
matt
You will find that with the CG set back as suggested, any autopilot "whimpy gadget".......... like what I use will be much more effect as the required throws will not exceed the autopilots commands.

The FY21Ap for example has very small throws even with the gains turned right up when comparing to my expected thumb commands.
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Jul 26, 2011, 01:19 AM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc863 View Post

what happened?
Yes.... why?

Edit: Missed that. Thanks nyc863.
CaliDave is offline Find More Posts by CaliDave
Last edited by CaliDave; Jul 27, 2011 at 02:10 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 01:26 AM
Joined Nov 2008
605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDave View Post
Yes.... why?
He posted:

Quote:
I think I moved directly in front of the antenna for my Vrx, and I lost video to my goggles.
nyc863 is offline Find More Posts by nyc863
Old Jul 26, 2011, 05:43 AM
Flying low is expensive.
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
Really sorry to see that crash They die so young these days! It's scary considering I'm building mine right now.

I'd give you 20 bucks to scoop that pile into a box with my name on it, though.

I'd normally say good luck with the re-build, but that one looks like a goner.
pdiddyg40 is offline Find More Posts by pdiddyg40
Old Jul 26, 2011, 08:02 AM
Espainia, PV, Berriz
Joined Jul 2011
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthOrbiter View Post
Take off toward a little headwind. 5 Mph or 8 Kph.
Take Dameon's advice with elevator throw and COG.
Once the surfaces has a grab on the airflow use the RC controller to trim the plane as needed to keep a level flight.
Upon landing note the RC trims. Mechanically adjust the plane throws to counter what the controller had to do if neutral on trims.
If you are new to a RC controller practice first on a simulator or train with another.
We don't want you to crash

Martin
THANKS all !

I've practiced with phoenix simulator many hours ... i can control all kind of plane in simulator, with hard wind, no wind etc ... but in real life i think it'll be different i guess! there is no extra bonus ! hehe ! sorry DigitalCAM outx! that was hard landing... ... I've configured all servos and all controls work fine ... up is up and down is down hehehe ... i'll post some photos/video before launching "THE BEAST" first (and maybe last ) time ...

Today its rainning here ... maybe tomorrow will be the D day ...

in_out
in_out is offline Find More Posts by in_out
Old Jul 26, 2011, 08:49 AM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,186 Posts
Need Help.

Im ordering some carbon strips to reinforce the wing and vertical stabilizer.
What width should I use for each? Daemon said 8mm wide for the main wing, but I will be ordering from Tower Hobbies and they only come at a maximum of 5mm wide. How about the width for the tail?

thanks
Matt
Matt Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bill Hempel Xtreme Decathlon
Old Jul 26, 2011, 09:26 AM
United States, IA, West Des Moines
Joined Jan 2010
690 Posts
I am in the process of building my sky walker LRS. For the carbon rods i made sure I put a lot of glue on them because I don't want my find to fold haha.
rcplanes1234 is offline Find More Posts by rcplanes1234
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:09 AM
Espainia, PV, Berriz
Joined Jul 2011
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr View Post
Need Help.

Im ordering some carbon strips to reinforce the wing and vertical stabilizer.
What width should I use for each? Daemon said 8mm wide for the main wing, but I will be ordering from Tower Hobbies and they only come at a maximum of 5mm wide. How about the width for the tail?

thanks
Matt
sorry im new at this forum ...but its good to reinforce the wings ?? i've read in other forums that too rigid wings and structure will transmit all the vibrations to the camera. I've no FPV kit installed yet but i've read this in other posts. My SkyWalker is EPO v3 the third version ... which has reinforced wings and tail with carbon fiber strip in the tail and carbon fiber cf tubes in the wings. Im not going to do many acrobatics so i'll let it as it is ...

thankx ...
in_out is offline Find More Posts by in_out
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:28 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_out View Post
THANKS all !

I've practiced with phoenix simulator many hours ... i can control all kind of plane in simulator, with hard wind, no wind etc ... but in real life i think it'll be different i guess! there is no extra bonus ! hehe !
If you fly it as a regular R/C trainer you should be fine. Just don't panic!
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:59 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalCAM View Post
I think I moved directly in front of the antenna for my Vrx, and I lost video to my goggles. By the time I took my goggles off and tried to find it, it was too late. The 4s 5000 battery came throught the front of the plane and the end was stuck about 3" into the ground. The GoPro was actually face down and the back was level with the ground. I had to pry it out. Don't think glue and tape is going to do it this time. -- JOHN
For whatever it's worth, the Skywalker will generally right itself, or at least not
go into a spiral dive, if you simply cut the motor and take your hands off the controls.
It looked like there was some continuous right aileron input when yours went in.
Either your R/C system lost contact and the Rx went into failsafe holding last position
on all channels, or you were holding that input yourself. Something to consider for next time.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2011, 02:51 PM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,694 Posts
Sorry about your crash But don't let this stop you from FPVing...you've got to get right back in the saddle! Order yourself another Skywalker for $90 and the couple other parts that may have broken, figure out how to overcome your last crash, and rebuild!

This is why I always maintain two FPV planes, so if one crashes (like my Skywalker about 1 month ago) I've always got another to keep me in the game while rebuilding

Quote:
Almost new Skywalker for Sale -- Barely used -- Only flown twice -- Only landed once.
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Old Jul 26, 2011, 04:54 PM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,190 Posts
Found some rubber bands at Bureau En Gros here in Quebec, probably Staples else where in Canada and USA.

They are size #107, 7'' x 5/8 wide and are way much better then the ones that came with the plane. 1 pound cost me $5.46. Item # 483949, page 807 in the special order catalog.
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse
Last edited by saucisse; Jul 26, 2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:57 PM
Fly Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!
Central California USA
Joined Feb 2011
379 Posts
Thanks for the link.
Researching online it was found with Amazon.
Delivery estimate: Aug. 1, 2011 - Aug. 4, 2011 1 "SPR1071LB - Rubber Bands, 1 lb., Size 107, 7x5/8x1/16"
Office Product; $3.99
In Stock
Sold by: MyOfficeProducts
It cost $3.99 but shipping was $5.25
The elasticity, length, size, and width looks good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucisse View Post
Found some rubber bands at Bureau En Gros here in Quebec, probably Staples else where in Canada and USA.

They are size #107, 7'' x 5/8 wide and are way much better then the ones that came with the plane. 1 pound cost me $5.46. Item # 483949, page 807 in the special order catalog.
EarthOrbiter is offline Find More Posts by EarthOrbiter
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:06 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Quote:
http://www.vimeo.com/26899507Almost new Skywalker for Sale -- Barely used -- Only flown twice -- Only landed once.
OUUUCH
what the heck happened there??!!!
OK I read it
Sorry man :-(
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86