HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:46 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy321 View Post
Good, but Make sure you don't inhale any of the CF dust or get any in your eyes. -Tyler
When you cut with the dremel throw a soaked paper towel over the area and
cut though it. It will absorb most of the CF dust.

Blues
Blueshy is online now Find More Posts by Blueshy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:05 PM
Joined Nov 2008
605 Posts
Obviously some common sense is helpful when cutting stuff that makes dust.

But I don't see anything online that indicates carbon dust, or cured resin dust, is any more toxic/scary than other kinds of dusts and vapors you might encounter in RC. And I did quite a bit of searching on it.

You do want to avoid getting a splinter though, they can be a bugger to remove as they disintegrate into shards. But, no, they don't get into your blood and travel to your heart.
nyc863 is offline Find More Posts by nyc863
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:10 PM
United States, IA, West Des Moines
Joined Jan 2010
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigotti View Post
I wont use one because all of the gear I am getting can take 6-12v.
rcplanes1234 is offline Find More Posts by rcplanes1234
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:08 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,985 Posts
agreed... I have never found anything that substantiates the fear around CF. I do cut quite a bit of it... using a scroll saw.. I do try and be carefull but if someone could maybe post a link on how CF is like asbestos I would be interested in reading it.... seriously... no joke.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc863 View Post
Obviously some common sense is helpful when cutting stuff that makes dust.

But I don't see anything online that indicates carbon dust, or cured resin dust, is any more toxic/scary than other kinds of dusts and vapors you might encounter in RC. And I did quite a bit of searching on it.

You do want to avoid getting a splinter though, they can be a bugger to remove as they disintegrate into shards. But, no, they don't get into your blood and travel to your heart.
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:58 AM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
agreed... I have never found anything that substantiates the fear around CF. I do cut quite a bit of it... using a scroll saw.. I do try and be carefull but if someone could maybe post a link on how CF is like asbestos I would be interested in reading it.... seriously... no joke.

Steve
It's always better to be on the safe side. But here's something that may be a good read for you.

Blues
Blueshy is online now Find More Posts by Blueshy
Old Jul 20, 2011, 01:41 AM
Joined Nov 2008
605 Posts
funny, I read the same page, guess it ranks high in google.

And a very dry report where a bunch of rats got to breath in bulk CF dust then had their lungs examined for problems.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 05:05 AM
Joined May 2009
154 Posts
Hi!

Just lost my Skywalker yesterday.. I was flying normally (No fpv) and trying to fly high.. Weather was not too good. No wind at low altitude which is good but clouds where low and moving quite fast. Sky was full off clouds. I circled around and tried to get higher and higher. I have graupners telemetry onboard which tells height.

Finally I reached my goal 1000Meters about 3000 feet. Plane was so small. And then it happened.. There where clouds way lower than my plane and I lost visibility totally.. I put plane to constant left turn and stopped engine. It was very hard to get lower. Finally I get it to 350 meters about 1000 feet. but didn't find it anywhere. Then it was so long away that telemetry went off.. I just kept stick left and throttle off for few minutes.

Then I jumped to my car and drove around with radio on trying to catch telemetry signal but it didn't work..

Area where plane lost is mainly fields and forest.

I didn't know what to do next.. Then I wrote email to local newspaper if they could put message to newspaper. Finally they answered and wrote whole story about FPV flying / RC flying

Hope that someone reads article and finds my plane.
It was simply my fault because I tried to brake my records

There where FY-20+Graupners receiver+telemetry onboard and my GoPro what was filming whole flight.
It could be nice video if camera is ok.

So don't fly on poor condition too high
bigbear_fin is offline Find More Posts by bigbear_fin
Old Jul 20, 2011, 05:40 AM
Registered Loon
Jeffreys Bay South Africa
Joined May 2006
1,306 Posts
that sux dewd :S hope you get it back
Blackrat is offline Find More Posts by Blackrat
Old Jul 20, 2011, 05:53 AM
Fast and low...
Joined Apr 2009
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear_fin View Post
Hi!

Just lost my Skywalker yesterday.. I was flying normally (No fpv) and trying to fly high.. Weather was not too good. No wind at low altitude which is good but clouds where low and moving quite fast. Sky was full off clouds. I circled around and tried to get higher and higher. I have graupners telemetry onboard which tells height.

Finally I reached my goal 1000Meters about 3000 feet. Plane was so small. And then it happened.. There where clouds way lower than my plane and I lost visibility totally.. I put plane to constant left turn and stopped engine. It was very hard to get lower. Finally I get it to 350 meters about 1000 feet. but didn't find it anywhere. Then it was so long away that telemetry went off.. I just kept stick left and throttle off for few minutes.

Then I jumped to my car and drove around with radio on trying to catch telemetry signal but it didn't work..

Area where plane lost is mainly fields and forest.

I didn't know what to do next.. Then I wrote email to local newspaper if they could put message to newspaper. Finally they answered and wrote whole story about FPV flying / RC flying

Hope that someone reads article and finds my plane.
It was simply my fault because I tried to brake my records

There where FY-20+Graupners receiver+telemetry onboard and my GoPro what was filming whole flight.
It could be nice video if camera is ok.

So don't fly on poor condition too high
Sorry to read about your loss.

A properly implemented and tested RTH would have helped you in such a situation.
aa78 is offline Find More Posts by aa78
Old Jul 20, 2011, 08:49 AM
Joined May 2009
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa78 View Post
Sorry to read about your loss.

A properly implemented and tested RTH would have helped you in such a situation.
Thatīs true. What kind of RTH systems are available?
bigbear_fin is offline Find More Posts by bigbear_fin
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:02 AM
Joined Nov 2008
605 Posts
I believe the next version up from your FY-20 ... FY-21, has RTH

of course, insurance is never free, but losing a gopro hurts! (I've done it, flown mine into the ocean without the waterproof case on).
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:16 AM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,674 Posts
Actually now that I think of it, I don't really care if it's not smooth because it's just the FPV/OSD cam for looking around at things and not the HD cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddyg40 View Post
Hey, get that frowny face outta that post! It may work fine for you! At least now you'll have it to try and you could try a couple of different servos to see what works best. All hope is not lost
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:06 PM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear_fin View Post
Thatīs true. What kind of RTH systems are available?
Also if you had gps in your variometer setup, you could have repeated the coordinates to your spotter who could enter them into a handheld and tell you which way to look before it was completely lost. Also last known coordinates would have given you a starting point to find the lost plane.
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Old Jul 20, 2011, 05:41 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,945 Posts
I would rather lose he plane for ever than ask the media for help on FPV.

I can see the headline.

Amateur Drone loses control and crashes into ????
A great way to end the activity for all.

Please don't get me wrong, I feel sorry for you but doing this hobby safely is all about incremental steps and not leaps. I am not sure what aerials Rx and Tx you were using but reading through the many FPV posts sure teaches you that off the shelf PNP systems are not suitable for stretched distances. Rubber ducky antenna in particular are not so good for distance and overhead.

Good luck and I hope all ends well.

J
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Jul 20, 2011, 06:14 PM
wep
https://vimeo.com/wep800
Joined Dec 2006
220 Posts
He was nog flying FPV...

Sorry that you lost your plane.... but what were you thinking??
I mean, why with all that expensive equipment flying basicly out of sight?

You have any idea what the attitude is of your plane of you let go of the sticks?Try to find out what the max radius is.

Best chance to find it back is by overflying the area and take high res pictures straight down and start scanning....

Do you know anybodu who had a plane and take high res pictures for you?

Good luck
wep is offline Find More Posts by wep