HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2011, 09:01 AM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,651 Posts
No pics now, maybe in a few days.

However, it's actually pretty simple...I ran a USB cable the length of the wing, put torroids, on and then cut out a slot for the VTx to lay flat under the wing (with heat sinks attached), then just run the antenna line out a few inches further towards the tip and plant the antenna on top. My antenna is a CloverLeaf so it just sits on top, no need for support rods or anything.

The counter balance on the other side of the main, LOL, is a stone of just a little lessor weight than the VTx & antenna combo place in a slot cut into the wing.

Here's the cool part...I added 2 additional wooden spars and my SW survived probably close to a 100mph spiraling crash from 400ft up into Lake Michigan and survived with no damage...wing 100% intact!

The common connector is a great idea! I chased that down a little bit a few months ago but gave up on it, but that is the best way ensure solid connections over time...and save time and hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa78 View Post
Any pics of your Vtx installation in the wing?

There is the option to bring all wires (servos, Vtx) into a single connector (e.g. DB9, perhaps?) and simply plug that into the mating connector.
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2011, 09:13 AM
Acworth, GA
Joined Mar 2007
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motojoe996 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh5lQH5q5FE

This a clip from the second flight from the 4S 4000 that I use. I had to come down and do some hardware swapping, then this flight.

I wanted to check motor amp draw, ESC temps..., which the ESC is located in the wing root. I have a temp sensor from RangeVideo OSD next to the ESC. The first flight showed ESC compartment temps up to 136, under various throttle settings, such as during this flight. After cutting some small vents in, temps show ambient temp or a few degrees above.

Aircraft weight for this flight was 1760g.
Equipment list:
RVOSD /GPS, current sensor
Cheapo security cam
900mhz video TX
4S 4000 main batt
APCe 10X5e
3S 100 video/OSD aux batt
BPHobbies 2814-8 1100kv motor
BPHobbies 45A ESC
5A BEC
CoPilot IR sensors (x2)
AR6200 RX
misc wires/connectors

Next up, checking out same numbers and flight characteristics with a GoPro in the nose.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

Also, I've been flying my TwinStar II via FPV for the past 2 years (vids on YT). I decommissioned that very trusty platform to try this out.

Thanks for watching,
Joe
Joe,

That was quite a ride. Looks like you have yourself a great flying skywalker. My family & I are going to vacation in Panama City in a few weeks...so I was wondering. Have you ever flown from or near the beach? it is allowed? Is it too windy?

TIA
Avenger GBU-1H is offline Find More Posts by Avenger GBU-1H
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:51 AM
USA, FL, Stuart
Joined Jul 2009
2,723 Posts
i really need to get this project going soon. I already have most of the equipment.

i have fatsharks, motor/esc/bats/servos.

whats the best place to get the SW to make sure you get the latest ?

as far as OSD/stabilizer i am guessing the FY would be a good choice, correct ?

i have a 900MHz video transmitter and rx and a camera but am open to suggestions on what would be best to be used with a Futaba 2.4 Fasst system

also planning on using a gopro hd as well

any suggestions are welcome especially in regard to the OSD/stabilizer

thanks

Mike
starzen is offline Find More Posts by starzen
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:56 AM
KJ6BFN
United States, CA, Fountain Valley
Joined Aug 2008
732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starzen View Post
i really need to get this project going soon. I already have most of the equipment.

i have a 900MHz video transmitter and rx and a camera but am open to suggestions on what would be best to be used with a Futaba 2.4 Fasst system

thanks

Mike
Get it from whomever has it in stock and has the best package deal shipping included.
The version 3 is slightly better wrt wing reinforcement but we have seen those fail too.
When doing the wing reinforcement Daemon style, any version (except the originally mistakenly released EPS) is up to the task.
henkvdw is offline Find More Posts by henkvdw
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Futaba 9CHPS
Old Jun 15, 2011, 04:35 PM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,721 Posts
Ok, so I havent done a thread search yet, but I am on my way out the door..

Has anyone had to adjust the thrust angle to get her to fly straight under power? Mine has a right yaw under power, but a nice, straight glide unpowered. I added about 5-7 degrees left thrust which helped, but it still needs more. It seems excessive...?

I have a 1300 kv motor with a 8x6 prop. The motor mount it pretty much stock otherwise.

I just want to ask if I should just add more, or if I should look into something else (is the vert stab a little crooked?)

BTW, I know for pretty sure it is not a flex/twist problem in the tail, I fixed all that.
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Old Jun 15, 2011, 07:34 PM
Joined Aug 2010
878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Making the thrust line more parallel to the long axis of the plane with
a high mounted pusher will make it pitch forward *more* not less. Pitch changes with
power depend on three things.
1. Airspeed and CG location. If you're nose heavy it pitches up with higher airspeed. If
it's truly tail heavy then it pitches forward with increasing airspeed, which is not stable.
2. Thrust line relative to sources of drag. If the thrust line is above the major
source of drag (the wing is the greatest contributor to drag), then rapid increase in thrust
causes it to pitch forward.
3. Thrust line relative to true center of mass of plane. If thrust line is above
center of mass, then rapid increase in thrust causes it to pitch forward.

You can help 2 and 3 by angling the thrust line down toward the source of drag
and/or center of mass, which is why it is angled the way it is. Same for the EZ* and
most other high mounted pushers. The SW is *so* tall though, its center of mass is always
very low relative to the thrust line, so if you have a lot of power, it will always pitch forward when
you go to full throttle quickly. The solution is, ramp up the throttle more gradually
to give the plane time to speed up, and that'll reduce the forward pitching moment
caused by 2 and 3.

That is correct.

ian
I can agree with that, but, there really is no way to diminish the pitch down of the nose if the thrust is above the longitudinal axis. What I do is set up a "mix" to add "up" elevator as the throttle is increased to oppose the pitch down caused by the thrust.

The 767 acts the same way in reverse, the engines are below the longitudinal axis and pitch the nose up with thrust increase. We don't have mixing and it is unnatural to push the nose while adding thrust on final.
thekubiaks is online now Find More Posts by thekubiaks
Old Jun 15, 2011, 07:45 PM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,721 Posts
I added a little nose down pitch to mine and it seemed to reduce the nose down pitch tendency. It is still there, but it is defiantly reduced. Mine is 3s, so when I punch it it might not jump like some out there, though...
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Old Jun 15, 2011, 08:26 PM
United States, NC, Wake Forest
Joined May 2011
28 Posts
Starzen, I just got two from bevrc. Ordered a power cable for my ground station to push the cost from 198 to over 200 for free shipping. You can either keep the other as a spare or sell it ( to a neighbor like I did) but basically you save the EMS shipping cost of around $50 if you can move the other plane...

I got the latest and greatest and they even come with an instruction book now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starzen View Post

thanks

Mike
mustangbrandon is offline Find More Posts by mustangbrandon
Old Jun 15, 2011, 08:33 PM
Joined May 2011
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucisse View Post
FPV cam is the RCV922 on pan tilt (which is real good !!) and GoPro HD (which sucks in low light conditions as you can see) for onboard recording.

I still don't get it why some still want to use the GoPro as a primary cam for FPV, did it for a while and since I've switch to the RCV922 I just can't figure out why I did not go with this one in the 1st place...
Saucisse, what do you like about the rcv922? I work for the worlds largest security company and have access to a bunch of cams. Just curious if there is something special about this one. I'm thinking about experimenting on mine with a wide dynamic range cam to see how it reacts to the lighting difference between sky and ground. In a way it is somewhat similar to how a CMOS cam works. Just not through individual pixels.

Would love to throw a megapixel cam on it but need to talk to some techs at work to see how to deliver that signal in a useful format.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 09:18 PM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,186 Posts
Well I like the fact that it can handle almost any light conditions. Of course I've seen cam with better colors but they never handle like this one. Also like the fact that this is a 5v cam like my vtx so I can run on a single 3s pack with out any problems of having video feed cut out on me because voltage dropped too low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangbrandon View Post
Saucisse, what do you like about the rcv922? I work for the worlds largest security company and have access to a bunch of cams. Just curious if there is something special about this one. I'm thinking about experimenting on mine with a wide dynamic range cam to see how it reacts to the lighting difference between sky and ground. In a way it is somewhat similar to how a CMOS cam works. Just not through individual pixels.

Would love to throw a megapixel cam on it but need to talk to some techs at work to see how to deliver that signal in a useful format.
saucisse is online now Find More Posts by saucisse
Old Jun 15, 2011, 09:26 PM
Panama City, Fl
Joined Jan 2009
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger GBU-1H View Post
Joe,

That was quite a ride. Looks like you have yourself a great flying skywalker. My family & I are going to vacation in Panama City in a few weeks...so I was wondering. Have you ever flown from or near the beach? it is allowed? Is it too windy?

TIA
I've flown from the beach a couple of times (check me youtube vids under motojoe996). Nobody has cared, though I haven't done it during the peak season for this area.

Bring your stuff anyways, but watch the winds. Sometimes the mornings will be prime time for you or an evening. It never is predictable. If you get lucky and are able to fly between 10am and maybe 4 or 5pm, watch for the banner planes and the occasional sight seeing heli (which cruise the beach under 200').

Hope it works out. Let me know if you need anything FPV related while you're down here...

Joe
motojoe996 is offline Find More Posts by motojoe996
Old Jun 16, 2011, 05:21 AM
USA, FL, Stuart
Joined Jul 2009
2,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangbrandon View Post
Starzen, I just got two from bevrc. Ordered a power cable for my ground station to push the cost from 198 to over 200 for free shipping. You can either keep the other as a spare or sell it ( to a neighbor like I did) but basically you save the EMS shipping cost of around $50 if you can move the other plane...

I got the latest and greatest and they even come with an instruction book now!
thanks for the headsup. right now out of stock so will have to see how long it takes them to get it back in stock
starzen is offline Find More Posts by starzen
Old Jun 16, 2011, 05:42 AM
Derbyshire UK
Joined Nov 2008
35 Posts
hacker

yes i have a hacker motor A30 8XL with a 9x6 prop and a castle creations 60amp esc although it only pulls 38amp i know of 3 others with the same setup
Quote:
Originally Posted by latin105fm View Post
Has anyone stuck a HACKER motor in their skywalker?

What model was it??

Cheers

Dan
highpeakmac is offline Find More Posts by highpeakmac
Old Jun 16, 2011, 06:31 AM
UAV Pilot
sweden
Joined May 2007
1,005 Posts
My intentions was to fly in the Total lunar Eclipse yesterday...

http://www.undcon.com/2011/06/16/fpv...lunar-eclipse/
UndCon is offline Find More Posts by UndCon
Old Jun 16, 2011, 08:31 AM
Joined May 2011
28 Posts
Everyone can add this to their list of INCREDIBLY stupid mistakes (but was quite funny)

So I was testing everything last night in the garage to get ready for a maiden this weekend. Mounted the prop on the motor (9x6 on a 1020 kv optima). Due to my inexperience and maybe a beer or two, I had mounted the pusher prop backwards... So.... when I fired the bad boy up, it pulled the moter right off the SW. (apparantely I am a crappy gluer also). If anyone is curious how much damage a brand new APC 9x6 prop can do attached to a 1020 motor, it sliced 25% of the way into the tail boom and very cleanly (like a scapel) cut my vtx wires.

My work bench happend to be my 32 Ford Roadster but luckily it wasnt damaged!!

Chalk this one up to 1. inexperience 2. not taking your time 3. stupidity 4. stupidity, oh and 5. im a dumbass...

Damn that thing has some snot though!

Dumb Ass Brandon