HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2011, 01:19 PM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,667 Posts
Putting the VTx and antenna on the wingtip will almost eliminate interference/RF shadow from the electrical components in the fuselage

That stock boom location is not ideal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa78 View Post
I moved the Vtx to the flat spot on the boom behind the motor. Since the ESC is placed near that spot, there was interference from the ESC in some portions of the throttle range.

http://vimeo.com/25051435

There was minimal static compared to the last two Vtx positions (canopy and side of fuselage).

There is still a pronounced yaw to the left which was corrected with trim, for this flight. I might need to have a look at the motor's mount to see if it is seated properly.

The SW was flown for 28+ minutes which was squeezed into this six and a half minute clip.

Enjoy!

Skywalker FPV build log
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2011, 01:33 PM
Fast and low...
Joined Apr 2009
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamChicago View Post
Putting the VTx and antenna on the wingtip will almost eliminate interference/RF shadow from the electrical components in the fuselage

That stock boom location is not ideal.
That's too much fatigue on the wiring/connectors on each mount/dismount cycle of the wing. Any sudden maneuvers will add stress to the wingtip area due to extra weight. Plus, the Vtx has to be balanced with a counter weight on the other wingtip. Putting the Vtx inside the wing would require the wing's foam to be carved out. Comments/opinions on all that?

Out of the three locations I tried, the one on the boom worked out best for having the least static, excepting the ESC noise.
aa78 is offline Find More Posts by aa78
Old Jun 14, 2011, 01:44 PM
United Kingdom, Bradford
Joined Jul 2010
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneFlorida View Post
What ESC are you using with the Turnigy TR 35-36 1450kv Brushless Outrunner.

thanks
EugeneFlorida, i'm using a 45a Ripmax dragon, I would steer clear of it as the programming is unfathomable.

The motors made a massive difference, loads of power to the extent that the SW feels much lighter whilst flying, and doesn't feel like its dragging its tale . Noticed the motor and ESC are now getting warm to the touch where as they were stone cold before.

Need to get an amp meter on it to see what its pulling at WOT just to be safe. Guess its given me a bit more confidence with it as I feel like I've got enough power to get out of trouble.
omegamanuk is offline Find More Posts by omegamanuk
Old Jun 14, 2011, 03:20 PM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,667 Posts
There are actually quite a few who mount the antenna this way on Skywalkers and other planes, including myself with great success.

I use shielded USB cable with servo connectors on the ends for the VTx feed so when I break down the wing it's just a simple unplug or plug just like any normal servo connection. Then while some fly it with no counter weight with no problems (Crist for example), I partially counter balance mine and it works fine. I have not experienced any lateral CG or asymmetric-drag issues at all...it's unnoticeable...I do the same on my Zephyr as well

It made such a huge difference in video reception it's totally worth trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa78 View Post
That's too much fatigue on the wiring/connectors on each mount/dismount cycle of the wing. Any sudden maneuvers will add stress to the wingtip area due to extra weight. Plus, the Vtx has to be balanced with a counter weight on the other wingtip. Putting the Vtx inside the wing would require the wing's foam to be carved out. Comments/opinions on all that?

Out of the three locations I tried, the one on the boom worked out best for having the least static, excepting the ESC noise.
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Last edited by AdamChicago; Jun 14, 2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 04:24 PM
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Joined Nov 2010
10 Posts
aa78,

Adding weight to the wings, i.e. VTX and counter-weights, may be not only harmless but also helpful on keeping the wing's integrity. In fact, a heavy fuselage and a light weight wing means concentrating forces on the wing roots and, in SW's case, on the dihedral break point. In this sense distributing some of your loads to the wing could be a good idea, as it directly counterbalances lift and frees the critical junction points of some loads.

This is exactly how it's done in full-scale, large commercial jets. Although most of them have wing and central tanks, the latter is only used when necessary, and also the first one to be used up after take-off, leaving most of the fuel load in the wings for the remainder of the flight.

Regards.

Anddre
AndreF2TH is offline Find More Posts by AndreF2TH
Old Jun 14, 2011, 04:34 PM
Chris R
United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2009
713 Posts
Skywalker, Chainlink, CEOSD, 1.2ghz 800mw VTX, Lawmate VRX, Turnigy 9x.

FPV Skywalker CEOSD v1.5 (14 min 34 sec)
Cir2kuk is offline Find More Posts by Cir2kuk
Old Jun 14, 2011, 09:32 PM
Panama City, Fl
Joined Jan 2009
458 Posts
First Skywalker FPV maiden...

Skywalker FPV maiden (3 min 19 sec)

This a clip from the second flight from the 4S 4000 that I use. I had to come down and do some hardware swapping, then this flight.

I wanted to check motor amp draw, ESC temps..., which the ESC is located in the wing root. I have a temp sensor from RangeVideo OSD next to the ESC. The first flight showed ESC compartment temps up to 136, under various throttle settings, such as during this flight. After cutting some small vents in, temps show ambient temp or a few degrees above.

Aircraft weight for this flight was 1760g.
Equipment list:
RVOSD /GPS, current sensor
Cheapo security cam
900mhz video TX
4S 4000 main batt
APCe 10X5e
3S 100 video/OSD aux batt
BPHobbies 2814-8 1100kv motor
BPHobbies 45A ESC
5A BEC
CoPilot IR sensors (x2)
AR6200 RX
misc wires/connectors

Next up, checking out same numbers and flight characteristics with a GoPro in the nose.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

Also, I've been flying my TwinStar II via FPV for the past 2 years (vids on YT). I decommissioned that very trusty platform to try this out.

Thanks for watching,
Joe
motojoe996 is offline Find More Posts by motojoe996
Last edited by motojoe996; Jun 14, 2011 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Forgot prop/size!
Old Jun 14, 2011, 09:37 PM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,187 Posts
Some fun with the Skywalker...this is definitely my favorite plane of my fleet!

Skywalker FPV fun! (3 min 5 sec)
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:03 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucisse View Post

http://vimeo.com/25114412
Nice flying.
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:06 PM
United States, NC, Wake Forest
Joined May 2011
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucisse View Post

http://vimeo.com/25114412
That was one damn fun video to watch! I thougt for sure I was going to get a face full of grass a couple times! You need to mount a 3D gopro and do that again!
mustangbrandon is offline Find More Posts by mustangbrandon
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:34 PM
Fast and low...
Joined Apr 2009
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamChicago View Post
There are actually quite a few who mount the antenna this way on Skywalkers and other planes, including myself with great success.

I use shielded USB cable with servo connectors on the ends for the VTx feed so when I break down the wing it's just a simple unplug or plug just like any normal servo connection. Then while some fly it with no counter weight with no problems (Crist for example), I partially counter balance mine and it works fine. I have not experienced any lateral CG or asymmetric-drag issues at all...it's unnoticeable...I do the same on my Zephyr as well

It made such a huge difference in video reception it's totally worth trying.
Any pics of your Vtx installation in the wing?

There is the option to bring all wires (servos, Vtx) into a single connector (e.g. DB9, perhaps?) and simply plug that into the mating connector.
aa78 is offline Find More Posts by aa78
Old Jun 15, 2011, 04:58 AM
London, UK
Joined Jan 2009
465 Posts
Hacker motor??

Has anyone stuck a HACKER motor in their skywalker?

What model was it??

Cheers

Dan
latin105fm is offline Find More Posts by latin105fm
Old Jun 15, 2011, 07:09 AM
Joined Aug 2008
208 Posts
saucisse-
What camera are you using?
Moose2 is offline Find More Posts by Moose2
Old Jun 15, 2011, 08:37 AM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,187 Posts
FPV cam is the RCV922 on pan tilt (which is real good !!) and GoPro HD (which sucks in low light conditions as you can see) for onboard recording.

I still don't get it why some still want to use the GoPro as a primary cam for FPV, did it for a while and since I've switch to the RCV922 I just can't figure out why I did not go with this one in the 1st place...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose2 View Post
saucisse-
What camera are you using?
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse
Last edited by saucisse; Jun 15, 2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 08:52 AM
$$$'s vs Skill
United Kingdom, England, High Wycombe
Joined Feb 2011
24 Posts
Skywalker Newbie - My Setup

Hi forum!

Been watching and poaching ideas from this thread for a while now. Finally have all my gear and the Skywalker is coming together nicely. Couple of custom parts are taking some time to finish. Will post pictures of the build before the maiden... just in case it is the only flight it does.

For those interested, here is my setup:
Scorp Commander 70a ESC
Scorp 3014-1220KV Motor
APC 9x4.5 Prop for 4S (2200g thrust), 9x7.5 Prop for 3S (1650g thrust)
HS65-MG's on control surfaces, HXT900 added to tailwheel
Carbon Fiber landing gear, 55mm wheels (short grass takeoffs)
Custom wing saddle and mount, attaches using 4 Nylon screws.
Carbon strips in wings, vert and hori stabs as well as carbon supports between hori and vert stabs.
Custom 1mm aluminium canopy.
Fibreglass sheath round rear part of tail and vert stab to limit tail twist.

Will be running on 35mhz rc with 2.4ghz vtx, pan/tilt mount with 420TVL camera, nothing special. OSD will be EagleTree OSD Pro with Data Logger V4 and FY21AP, V4 GPS, Altimeter Module, Airspeed Module.

Fingers crossed.
Fpvicv is offline Find More Posts by Fpvicv