SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 06, 2011, 04:29 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Brøndbyvester
Joined Jun 2009
615 Posts
Today I maiden my SW, but during full throttle I broke my prop and did a little damage to the wing.

According to my GPS logger, I was going 96 km/t (if I should trust my GPS logger) when the SW suddenly started to act strange and I could see that the wing had jumped out of place. I managed to get it down without any further damaged. I could see that the prop was broken and a small damaged to the wing.

Could it be that the wing was forced out of place, because of the high speed, and then the prop hit the wing, and broke ?

I did only use two rubber bands, should I use four the next flight ?

I'm using a Scorpion SII 3014-1040kv motor, 4s lipo and a 9x6E prop.
SpookiePower is online now Find More Posts by SpookiePower
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2011, 05:17 PM
United States, CA, Marin County
Joined Apr 2009
805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookiePower View Post
You should use a minimum of four. I always use eight. I have a box of rubber bands made specifically for R/C planes, and I use those for the four extra, but I'm sure any strong rubber bands that are an appropriate size should work.

-Taft
wtl0715 is offline Find More Posts by wtl0715
Old Jun 06, 2011, 05:19 PM
Joined Apr 2009
805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henkvdw View Post
Probably should also consider stiffening up the tail part of the fuse to resist the torque action of the vert stab.
Any suggestions on how to do that? For my current SW, I did a quick (ugly) glass job on about 6" of the tail boom, but there may be a better way to do it.

-Taft
Old Jun 06, 2011, 05:42 PM
KJ6BFN
United States, CA, Fountain Valley
Joined Aug 2008
745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtl0715 View Post
Any suggestions on how to do that? For my current SW, I did a quick (ugly) glass job on about 6" of the tail boom, but there may be a better way to do it.

-Taft
Any exoskeleton type of support will render the max resistance against the twisting action.
- Your glass job is probably one of the best solutions.
- Could also use laminate or a combo of glass and laminate as is done on some flying wings.
-Alternatively cut longitudinal slots in the boom, insert CF or GF strip and CA. Maybe in 2 or 3 locations around the boom.
Internally.
-Another option would be to increase the boom spar OD - in other words replace the stock with a bigger tube.
-Also make sure the boom spar is glued in very securely.
-Could also add another boom spar. May be heavy though.
henkvdw is offline Find More Posts by henkvdw
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 1400mm FMS T28
Old Jun 06, 2011, 06:24 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2010
8 Posts
So I buckled and my Skywalker is on the way. I've decided on using 4s with a Scorpion 3014 830kv motor and I was wondering if I definitely should buy the matching esc or if I can get away with using 60amp sentry esc. Also i wanted to add landing gear what size would be appropriate for the skywalker?
Sadnap is offline Find More Posts by Sadnap
Old Jun 06, 2011, 06:55 PM
NE Texas, USA
Joined Jan 2011
314 Posts
Hello,
Patchitagain is offline Find More Posts by Patchitagain
Old Jun 06, 2011, 07:00 PM
NE Texas, USA
Joined Jan 2011
314 Posts
HMMM... how did that post get up there... Anyway, I have a question about props.. I see some folks are using folding props.. I saw some 3 blade folders on the web and was wondering.. What are the pro/cons of using a 2 blade vs a 3 blade folder on the SW ?
Patchitagain is offline Find More Posts by Patchitagain
Old Jun 06, 2011, 07:10 PM
Joined Apr 2009
805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchitagain View Post
HMMM... how did that post get up there... Anyway, I have a question about props.. I see some folks are using folding props.. I saw some 3 blade folders on the web and was wondering.. What are the pro/cons of using a 2 blade vs a 3 blade folder on the SW ?
There are too many variables to answer that question directly. Generally speaking, a three-blade prop will pull more amps than the same size (LxP) two-blade prop. The two-blade will almost always be more efficient, but the three-blade will usually provide more power.

Most people stick with two-blade because the added power is not worth the higher amp-draw and lower efficiency.

-Taft
Old Jun 06, 2011, 07:18 PM
UAV Pilot
sweden
Joined May 2007
1,006 Posts
Saftey first!

Saftey first!

I intended to fly under the approach to my local airport - several ponds and wetlands in the area so I contacted the tower and they gave me OK as long as I stayed under 50 meters and they also have my cellphone-number so they can contact me if I have to land. I told them I would most likely stay under 30meters anyway to get some decent pond-flying. To bad the wind was making a mess (choppy, windgusts)

This is the only part that is useful.

FPV Slow Down [HD] (1 min 5 sec)

http://www.undcon.com/2011/06/06/fpv-video-slow-down/

I will come back here several times when there is less wind.
UndCon is offline Find More Posts by UndCon
Old Jun 06, 2011, 07:28 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtl0715 View Post

-Taft
I have no external strengthening on mine.

I glued the boom rod into place with CA and kicker which is what the engineers at Mutiplex suggest for their EPO models.

Before I joined the halves, I dripped some wetted Gorilla glue into the molded webbing. The boom is now VERY stiff torsionally and light. The stabs got some of the CF ribbon treatment. 2 strips each for the length of the vert and horizontal at maximum lengths, near front and rear of surfaces. I have no need for struts to brace anything back there. J
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Jun 06, 2011, 07:52 PM
Joined Apr 2009
805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb1rdz View Post
I have no external strengthening on mine.

I glued the boom rod into place with CA and kicker which is what the engineers at Mutiplex suggest for their EPO models.

Before I joined the halves, I dripped some wetted Gorilla glue into the molded webbing. The boom is now VERY stiff torsionally and light. The stabs got some of the CF ribbon treatment. 2 strips each for the length of the vert and horizontal at maximum lengths, near front and rear of surfaces. I have no need for struts to brace anything back there. J
J,

The Gorilla Glue idea is great. I think I may use that. I'm not sure I'm familiar with the "CF ribbon treatment". I assume that refers to using carbon fiber tape straight across the control surface. Is that correct? Also, should I worry about any RF issues from extra carbon on the tail surfaces? I am unfamiliar with using CF tape, so I don't want to find out the hard way that it affects RF in a different way than CF rods.

Thanks,

Taft
Old Jun 06, 2011, 08:18 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,933 Posts
No, "carbon ribbon" refers to lengths of stiff uni-carbon that are wider than they are thick.
Exact dimensions vary these days it's often available at the local hardware store.
It's installed by cutting a vertical slit into the foam, widening slightly (tip of a screwdriver
will do) and then push the carbon ribbon in edgewise. Apply thin CA to glue it
in after it's in the wing, or use thick slower curing CA first and then press it into place
quickly. Install one on the top of the wing, one on the bottom, directly
above each other and it creates a virtual I-beam (don't get hung up on the fact
that it's not shaped like an "I") and makes the wing super rigid.
I also installed a ribbon on each side of the vertical, reaching all the way from the
very top of the mount on top, down into the boom and it's now very stiff,
and the horizontal stab does not move around at all.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2011, 08:31 PM
Flying low is expensive.
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
No, "carbon ribbon" refers to lengths of stiff uni-carbon that are wider than they are thick.
Exact dimensions vary these days it's often available at the local hardware store.
It's installed by cutting a vertical slit into the foam, widening slightly (tip of a screwdriver
will do) and then push the carbon ribbon in edgewise. Apply thin CA to glue it
in after it's in the wing, or use thick slower curing CA first and then press it into place
quickly. Install one on the top of the wing, one on the bottom, directly
above each other and it creates a virtual I-beam (don't get hung up on the fact
that it's not shaped like an "I") and makes the wing super rigid.
I also installed a ribbon on each side of the vertical, reaching all the way from the
very top of the mount on top, down into the boom and it's now very stiff,
and the horizontal stab does not move around at all.

ian
That's a really great "how to"! by local hardware store did you mean Lowes or Home Depot? I've never seen it around and figured I had to order it online.
pdiddyg40 is offline Find More Posts by pdiddyg40
Old Jun 06, 2011, 08:32 PM
Fly Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!
Central California USA
Joined Feb 2011
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookiePower View Post
Today I maiden my SW, but during full throttle I broke my prop and did a little damage to the wing.

According to my GPS logger, I was going 96 km/t (if I should trust my GPS logger) when the SW suddenly started to act strange and I could see that the wing had jumped out of place. I managed to get it down without any further damaged. I could see that the prop was broken and a small damaged to the wing.

Could it be that the wing was forced out of place, because of the high speed, and then the prop hit the wing, and broke ?

I'm using a Scorpion SII 3014-1040kv motor, 4s lipo and a 9x6E prop.
My first maiden did almost exactly the same. It broke one blade on the prop after the wings lifted off. I used 1 band. The minor damage on the back of the wings looks very similar. Use all the bands and grab the wings near the fuselage and briskly lift it up assuring the wings do not separate. No big damage done however a great learning lesson.
EarthOrbiter is offline Find More Posts by EarthOrbiter
Old Jun 06, 2011, 08:44 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddyg40 View Post
That's a really great "how to"! by local hardware store did you mean Lowes or Home Depot? I've never seen it around and figured I had to order it online.
Actually, I meant to type "local hobby store".
Many place carry it online as well, usually in 36" or 48" lengths. I'd normally point ya at http://canuckenineering.com
but it's in the middle of a move right now.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member