FPV Skywalker (6 min 27 sec)
Cir2kuk is offline Find More Posts by Cir2kuk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2011, 11:22 AM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,694 Posts
rsowder, what do the say, "accidents are a chain of errors"?? I have RTH setup on RVOSD also linked with FY20...it is all setup, IN THEORY, but not tested. By sheer bad luck the FY20 wasn't functioning before this flight and also I had set the failsafe settings a week ago but changed the motor mount a few days prior to this flight to accommodate a larger prop which was causing a lot of nose down which the failsafe wasn't set for. What I don't understand is why the RVOSD didn't try to hold the failsafe set GPS altitude of 200ft? Well... and why wasn't the FY20 operating...ugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsowder View Post
I use the FY20 on my Skywalker with Eagle Tree components and the RTH works perfect every time. Saved me twice when i totally lost video for two minutes at four miles out. I won't fly far away without a properly working RTH.

And your Vid is amazing. I would submit that for the Vid of the month contest
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Old Jun 06, 2011, 11:48 AM
San Francisco
Joined May 2009
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamChicago View Post
rsowder, what do the say, "accidents are a chain of errors"?? I have RTH setup on RVOSD also linked with FY20...it is all setup, IN THEORY, but not tested. By sheer bad luck the FY20 wasn't functioning before this flight and also I had set the failsafe settings a week ago but changed the motor mount a few days prior to this flight to accommodate a larger prop which was causing a lot of nose down which the failsafe wasn't set for. What I don't understand is why the RVOSD didn't try to hold the failsafe set GPS altitude of 200ft? Well... and why wasn't the FY20 operating...ugh!
These planes are complicated with all the components. And once you get one thing working, something else acts up. That's been my experience. That makes it a frustrating but interesting hobby
rsowder is offline Find More Posts by rsowder
Old Jun 06, 2011, 12:00 PM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,694 Posts
I know...can't help but continuously solve problems
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Old Jun 06, 2011, 12:54 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Brøndbyvester
Joined Jun 2009
617 Posts
I'm about to maiden my SW in a few hours, but I'm worried about having enough power.

I just did a ground test with a wattmeter, and at 50% throttle the amps was 8.0 and 137watts. I was expecting much more. I did not do WOT. Is this normal ?

I'm using 4s lipo, 9x6E prop and a Scorpion SII-3014-1040kv.
SpookiePower is online now Find More Posts by SpookiePower
Old Jun 06, 2011, 12:58 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,093 Posts
Can't determine anything from half throttle. That motor/prop combo should be fine.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2011, 01:18 PM
I do all my own crashes
United States, NH, Rochester
Joined Jan 2011
243 Posts
AC, That is one crazy event caught on film..... in "First Person" I'm sure that was a roller coaster of emotion. That had to suck standing there holding onto your equipment... knowing where your plane is and not much you can do about it. Though I'm sure it's just a matter of time before it happens to me. ~Wingnut13
Wingnut13 is offline Find More Posts by Wingnut13
Old Jun 06, 2011, 02:21 PM
Joined Feb 2011
594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa78 View Post
EagleTree Elogger graph for the AX2814 motor from BEVRC

I use it with a 4.9Ah 4S battery with APC 9x6EP prop and it delivers a lot of power and practically lifts the SW right out of the hand on launch. I just throw it lightly and away it goes. IIRC, the motor comes with a prop adapter.
Thanks AA78, very helpful
AVIATION_RULZ is offline Find More Posts by AVIATION_RULZ
Old Jun 06, 2011, 02:31 PM
If it flies, I can crash it!
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamChicago View Post
rsowder, what do the say, "accidents are a chain of errors"??
Adam, I have a theory about the "chain of errors"....

Aliens like Skywalkers too. You are just lucky that the sailboat was right there, or your beloved Skywalker would be on the mothership right now.

Doug
djdavid60 is online now Find More Posts by djdavid60
Old Jun 06, 2011, 02:44 PM
I should be flying right now!
United States, IN, Crown Point
Joined May 2010
450 Posts
Adam,

what numbers should I use for today's pick 4?
al1242 is offline Find More Posts by al1242
Old Jun 06, 2011, 03:19 PM
United States, NC, Wake Forest
Joined May 2011
28 Posts
Radio?

Hey, without everyone getting in a huge debate, what are some options for FPV radios? I have a Futaba 6 ch right now but want to add pan and tilt...

I don't need the top of the line but also dont want garbage

THX!
mustangbrandon is offline Find More Posts by mustangbrandon
Old Jun 06, 2011, 03:26 PM
United States, CA, Marin County
Joined Apr 2009
805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangbrandon View Post
Hey, without everyone getting in a huge debate, what are some options for FPV radios? I have a Futaba 6 ch right now but want to add pan and tilt...

I don't need the top of the line but also dont want garbage

THX!
Mustang,

I fly with the 7CAP. It is great, but I would like more channels. I suggest that you buy a used 9C. As soon as I have the money, that's going to be my next radio. It has enough channels for FPV with most setups, a great computer display and is a well-tested high-quality radio.

-Taft
wtl0715 is offline Find More Posts by wtl0715
Old Jun 06, 2011, 03:31 PM
Joined Apr 2009
805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firatp View Post
How does it look?
Do you thing it will fly again ?

Any advice to heal will be very very appreciated

Regards.
Check out the damage I did to my wing:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3916742

I fixed it, along with a mangled fuselage, in less than an hour. This plane is perfect for piecing back together. It's an added bonus that the fuse cavity is large enough that you can fit your hand inside of it, which helps you properly align broken surfaces and hold them together.

-Taft
Old Jun 06, 2011, 03:40 PM
Joined Apr 2009
805 Posts
I have done some searches looking for must-have V3 mods, but I'm having trouble figuring out which versions need which mods. I read that some wing reinforcement is necessary, but I can't tell if there were any other improvements made to V3.

So, what structural improvements are necessary for V3? My current SW is a test platform for some new equipment, but once I have all of the kinks worked out, I plan to move it all to my new V3. The setup will be: ET OSD, LR UHF, 4s ~6600mah, GoPro, VTx, and small FPV cam. I will not perform aerobatics, but I would like to be able to move fast (for a SW, not super fast) without worrying about structural integrity.

1) Strengthen wings
2) Redo aileron hinges
3) Strengthen vertical stab
4) Reinforce elevator
5) Redo elevator hinge

What else?

Thanks,

Taft
Old Jun 06, 2011, 03:56 PM
KJ6BFN
United States, CA, Fountain Valley
Joined Aug 2008
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtl0715 View Post
3) Strengthen vertical stab

Probably should also consider stiffening up the tail part of the fuse to resist the torque action of the vert stab.
henkvdw is online now Find More Posts by henkvdw
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 1400mm FMS T28