to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2011, 05:34 AM
UAV Pilot
sweden
Joined May 2007
1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamChicago View Post

Note: The video was edited so the SW wasn't actually pulled out of the water for about 5-10 minutes

http://www.vimeo.com/24706420
Absolutely amazing! Did you get a chance to say thanks to the sailor?
I hope your gear survives getting soaked

This alone makes me reconsider start using the GoPro housing again...

I flew 8km over water a few days ago and it is really hard to tell height by FPV camera alone. I dont trust GPS for altitude - according to GPS i was ~1meter above at lowest point (still - might have been true)
UndCon is offline Find More Posts by UndCon
Old Jun 06, 2011, 05:46 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Brøndbyvester
Joined Jun 2009
613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
It doesn't matter what the manual says. It's useless information.
30mm behind the wiring slot works well. The further in front of
that you go, the less efficient the plane will fly, and the more you'll
see pitch changes with changes in airspeed.

I have no idea what you're trying to do or asking here. A "nose heavy" plane flies poorly. A truly "tail heavy" plane (with the CG set too far back)
doesn't fly at all (or as they say, only flies once). The SW with the CG at 30mm is neither nose heavy nor tail heavy.

ian
English is not my native language, and some times I miss the point.

I have done a photo to show what I mean. I'm not sure where the "leading edge" of the wing is - I have tried to illustrate where I think it is, and where the default/stock cog could be. In this position my SW is not nose heavy, it is pretty tail heavy - and moving the cog back, like about 30mm behind the servowire, adds more weight to the nose, not to the tail.

I'll will try to place the cog somewhere between the red and blue dot.
SpookiePower is offline Find More Posts by SpookiePower
Old Jun 06, 2011, 05:58 AM
Praying for better weather
Joined Dec 2007
4,174 Posts
Your diagram is correct, set CG to red marker in your picture
Coyote64 is offline Find More Posts by Coyote64
Old Jun 06, 2011, 07:17 AM
I should be flying right now!
United States, IN, Crown Point
Joined May 2010
450 Posts
If you look at Spookie's picture above, you see just to the right of his red dot is an indentation in the foam, that's your COG. I wonder if it was actually put there for a reason and the instructions or whoever started the 75mm from leading edge is just wrong. I just put my finger tips in that indentiation and it is balanced in flight everytime. I had a Parkzone plane that had the same thing, the COG location was in marked by depressed area in the form of the wing. Or is it just a coincidence?
al1242 is offline Find More Posts by al1242
Old Jun 06, 2011, 07:27 AM
Chris R
United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2009
713 Posts
Currently got COG @ 40mm back from servo wires and it flys great for me.
Cir2kuk is offline Find More Posts by Cir2kuk
Old Jun 06, 2011, 08:00 AM
KJ6BFN
United States, CA, Fountain Valley
Joined Aug 2008
735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THOMASJONES View Post
Hi guys,

What would you recommend for a higher power output between these two options for the Skywalker:

1) E-Flite Power 10:
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...odID=EFLM4010A
--> I would be using the eflite with a 10x7 prop

---OR---

2) AX2814 ---Special customed for Skywalker
http://www.bevrc.com/ax2814-special-...ker-p-207.html
--> I would be using the AX2814 with a APC 9060E prop

i)Which one would be a better fit for the Skywalker with a 5000mah battery?
ii) If I go with the AX2814, which size prop adapter do I have to get?
Thanks.
With the kV values of these motors at (1100 Power 10 and 980 AX2814), one would assume that you are going to use 4S packs.
The Power 10 is not rated for 4S use in the specs provided in the link above. So before running it on 4S, confirm that it would be OK.
On the other hand, if you are planning to run on 3S, the recommendation from e-Flite seems to be a 10x5E prop. Not sure if this will produce the thrust you want though.
The AX2814 will not produce the needed thrust on 3S with a 9" or 10" prop. So for the SW application this is a 4S motor with the 9" prop.
There are probably better suited kV motors out there for 3S.
On 3S, the Power 10 will be the better choice.
On 4S, my guess would be the AX2814 would be better suited.
henkvdw is offline Find More Posts by henkvdw
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by henkvdw; Jun 09, 2011 at 07:53 AM.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 09:00 AM
United States, NC, Wake Forest
Joined May 2011
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Yes. Just keep your elevator rates down to somewhere around +/-5mm throw.
The SW flies like a nose heavy pig at the stock recommended CG. It flies
great at 30mm behind the servo wire slot.

ian
Continue with my stupid question list! Ian, the 5mm throw, where are you measuring that at? servo travel from center or actaul elevator movement?

Also, I noticed after i installed the wing servos (futaba 3114) the travel of the arm hits the wing when traveling to the "back" of the wing. The other side obivously does the opposite. Should I notch that a little? Or better said, what it the appropriate "throw" for the ailerons? (and where are you measuring that )

Thx Brandon
mustangbrandon is offline Find More Posts by mustangbrandon
Old Jun 06, 2011, 09:08 AM
If it flies, I can crash it!
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Well today was initially a very sad day...crashed my fully FPV Skywalker into Lake Michigan (Chicago, IL USA) about 6000 feet out into the lake and from about 400 feet up.
That is one scary video! Your first reaction must have been a string of curse words that is still hovering out over Lake Michigan. Glad to hear you got everything back. Hope most of your electronics survive the soaking.

Doug
djdavid60 is offline Find More Posts by djdavid60
Old Jun 06, 2011, 09:09 AM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,667 Posts
I struggled over the GoPro housing because of the additional 100gs, but really the SW is a bus that can handle soooo much weight.

Yikes, let's hope you weren't out 8km and only 1m over the water! Was it possibly reporting barometric altitude instead of GPS altitude??

This incident has taught me to fully tune my RTH...which will be pretty solid as soon as RangeVideo and EagleTree come out with the gyro stabilization...promised this month from both, but we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndCon View Post
Absolutely amazing! Did you get a chance to say thanks to the sailor?
I hope your gear survives getting soaked

This alone makes me reconsider start using the GoPro housing again...

I flew 8km over water a few days ago and it is really hard to tell height by FPV camera alone. I dont trust GPS for altitude - according to GPS i was ~1meter above at lowest point (still - might have been true)
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Old Jun 06, 2011, 09:14 AM
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,667 Posts
Thanks Jay and I need the laugh as well after that.

I'm glad to hear your's faired well too after your crash. I really wish we had a better way to ensure a solid RF lock when flying within range...guess we'll have to wait for technology to catch up with our flying.

For now though I'm really focusing on getting a solid RTH!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb1rdz View Post
My SW got shot down on the weekend. No damage apart from a bent nose wheel, as it went into failsafe setting and just did a gentle LH turn into the ground. Even though the wing hit first the soft grass and gently approach left it virtually unmarked. A good reminder of the failings of 2.4ghz RC.

There were 4 of us flying on 2.4 (TGY Fasst and Spectrum) and all 4 got shot down by RX lockout. I have a 430 mhz module that I just hadn't fitted yet as I am still ironing out the models trim at speed. A new very tall transmission tower on the horizon is the expected culprit.

I have the V3 and it has plenty of carbon spar and ribbon support but the 1220 kv at WOT on 4s is not what this bird is made for. I have to get over the fact that the SW is the RC aerial equivalent of a family freighter and not a sportscar !

Hey Adam, what a reat result for you.

It's not my usual thing to laugh at someone elses misfortune, but given the outcome........... That was funny J
Old Jun 06, 2011, 09:16 AM
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,667 Posts
Thanks Doug...it was amazement followed by a bit of sadness...then followed by overwhelming joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavid60 View Post
That is one scary video! Your first reaction must have been a string of curse words that is still hovering out over Lake Michigan. Glad to hear you got everything back. Hope most of your electronics survive the soaking.

Doug
Old Jun 06, 2011, 09:23 AM
Kragerø, Norway
Joined Jun 2010
725 Posts
To write your phone number is a very good idea! Will do the same to mine!

Good you got it back!
Voguna is offline Find More Posts by Voguna
Old Jun 06, 2011, 09:34 AM
San Francisco
Joined May 2009
1,098 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Jay and I need the laugh as well after that.

I'm glad to hear your's faired well too after your crash. I really wish we had a better way to ensure a solid RF lock when flying within range...guess we'll have to wait for technology to catch up with our flying.

For now though I'm really focusing on getting a solid RTH!!!!
I use the FY20 on my Skywalker with Eagle Tree components and the RTH works perfect every time. Saved me twice when i totally lost video for two minutes at four miles out. I won't fly far away without a properly working RTH.

And your Vid is amazing. I would submit that for the Vid of the month contest
rsowder is offline Find More Posts by rsowder
Old Jun 06, 2011, 09:42 AM
If it flies, I can crash it!
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsowder View Post

And your Vid is amazing. I would submit that for the Vid of the month contest
These crash videos are perfect advertisement for the durability of the GoPro.
djdavid60 is offline Find More Posts by djdavid60