HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 04, 2011, 05:31 PM
San Francisco
Joined May 2009
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy321 View Post
Will these mess with my camera? I feel like the magntets might screw up the picture or something
They shouldn't have any effect on the camera. I am also using two of them on the side hatch. Some use a bunch of them to hold the fuselage haves together.
rsowder is offline Find More Posts by rsowder
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2011, 05:34 PM
Fly Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!
Central California USA
Joined Feb 2011
377 Posts
Here is the link to a flight over the Sierra foothills in central California.
SWfpv.mp4 (3 min 10 sec)

The plane has 2 5800 Mah 3s and a 1800 Mah 3s battery for servos.
If you have a load such as this, it is important to make sure your motor and prop can make the plane take off. I had more than a half tank of fuel at landing.
EarthOrbiter is offline Find More Posts by EarthOrbiter
Old Jun 04, 2011, 05:54 PM
KJ6RCJ
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined May 2010
405 Posts
EarthOrbiter,

Where do you fly out of? We fly here in Elk Grove, just south of Sacramento. Some foamies and helis. You got a great view of the Sierras in there!

Gent
gent96 is offline Find More Posts by gent96
Old Jun 04, 2011, 06:04 PM
Central California USA
Joined Feb 2011
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gent96 View Post
EarthOrbiter,

Where do you fly out of? We fly here in Elk Grove, just south of Sacramento. Some foamies and helis. You got a great view of the Sierras in there!

Gent
It is at the Copperopolis airport. Evelyn who is now in a care home took care of the airport many years after her husband died on the landing strip. There is much history and preservation in this area that many do not know.
Yes I can see you soon.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 06:25 PM
KJ6RCJ
Joined May 2010
405 Posts
Cool. We have our RCGroups here "parkflying in Sacramento". We usually fly every sunday mornings in front of the unfinished Elk Grove mall via Highway 99. Maybe the flying's gonna pick up since it's now summer.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 06:36 PM
Central California USA
Joined Feb 2011
377 Posts
Quote:
Cool. We have our RCGroups here "parkflying in Sacramento". We usually fly every sunday mornings in front of the unfinished Elk Grove mall via Highway 99. Maybe the flying's gonna pick up since it's now summer.
I hope Summer gets here soon.
If I was closer such coordination can happen on given days. Right now I have Thurs and Fridays off as a weekend.
Possibly I can drive at some time to Sacramento and be with the group there in future.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 06:40 PM
KJ6RCJ
Joined May 2010
405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthOrbiter View Post
I hope Summer gets here soon.
If I was closer such coordination can happen on given days. Right now I have Thurs and Fridays off as a weekend.
Possibly I can drive at some time to Sacramento and be with the group there in future.
Yes, well then, we'll see you one of these days.

Sorry I'm quite hijacking this thread, lol. Anyway, I'm still in the process of selecting the best and appropriate motor/ power system for the SW. I'm looking at Scorpion 3008 1220kv as this is an investment, lol. 3530's are not available at HK. I have a bunch of 2200mah, 3S batteries that I could use so maybe that Scorpion motor could use them.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 06:52 PM
Central California USA
Joined Feb 2011
377 Posts
Quote:
Yes, well then, we'll see you one of these days.

Sorry I'm quite hijacking this thread, lol. Anyway, I'm still in the process of selecting the best and appropriate motor/ power system for the SW. I'm looking at Scorpion 3008 1220kv as this is an investment, lol. 3530's are not available at HK. I have a bunch of 2200mah, 3S batteries that I could use so maybe that Scorpion motor could use them.
Regarding power to the plane. I am in to the knowledge of low resistance to Batteries, ESC's and Motors. (No heat loss)
There is something to know however we all grow.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 09:13 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsowder View Post
Attached are a couple pics of the components that present the majority of the parasitic drag on the plane. I also have about 50 grams of weight in the tail to center the CG at 25mm aft of the servo wires. I wish I could achieve the efficiencies that you have. I'm wondering if my flight profile isn't optimal. I basically keep a 5 degree angle when flying out. I wonder if it would be more efficient to fly lower and use some power on the return flight. I'm also using a 10x7 prop. I think a 10x6 would be more efficient given the slow cruise speeds of this plane. What do you think? My OSD shows that I used 4065ma on the flight. I verified that number when recharging.
Your camera pan mount can't be worse than my full P&T + the GoPro hanging
off the front of mine with no canopy behind it. Dunno about those antenna
masts. They may be draggier than they look. Hard to say. All told
I'd think your plane would be slipperier there must be some extra drag somewhere to
fly so slowly both going out and coming back. Maybe it was slow while climbing on
the way out, and into a headwind on the way back. My flight was from a high place,
so I flew almost level the whole way and used more motor coming back than going out.
Yes, I think 10x7 is too much pitch for efficient cruise. ESC is probably
well out of its efficiency range. You should be able to just eek out level
flight at a little over 5amps, and may need 1-2 more to make progress against the
wind or mild climb.. etc, and a lot less coming home. Certainly shouldn't need
3000+ft AGL to get out 6.5 miles, unless you intend to glide most of the way home.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2011, 09:16 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsowder View Post
Thanks,

Not sure yet. Daemon had some good suggestions on how to do that. I just need to search back through the thread to find out how he did it. I think he used carbon strips on both the bottom and top of the wings.

Randy
Yes, just carbon ribbons installed on the top and bottom surfaces
of the wing directly above each other, spanning the dihedral break.
The top ribbon has the slot deeper into the wing at its ends, the bottom
ribbon has the slot deeper in the middle than the ends. I've used
this technique on EPP and EPO planes for years and it holds up great
to most any flight loads.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2011, 10:14 PM
San Francisco
Joined May 2009
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Yes, I think 10x7 is too much pitch for efficient cruise.

ian
I think the major part of my problem is the prop. I have searched all the hobby stores around me and none have a 10x6 prop for electric. Do you or anyone else know where I can buy an APC 10x6 online?

Randy
Old Jun 04, 2011, 10:19 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,034 Posts
Huh, interesting. Tower only sells a 10x5 and a 10x7 APC electric prop. You'd have to use a 'Sport prop' for a 10x6.
typicalaimster is offline Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Airframes Side-By-SIde
Old Jun 04, 2011, 10:21 PM
Central California USA
Joined Feb 2011
377 Posts
I take off with almost a 65 Amp at 12 volts at such hp charge over such fractional base.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 10:21 PM
San Francisco
Joined May 2009
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by typicalaimster View Post
Huh, interesting. Tower only sells a 10x5 and a 10x7 APC electric prop. You'd have to use a 'Sport prop' for a 10x6.
I was afraid of that. I don't think a sport prop would be very efficient, right?
Old Jun 04, 2011, 11:52 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,688 Posts
I'm running a APC 10x6 folding prop, with the adapter from the aluminum spinner at rcdude.com.

ian
RCG Plus Member