HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 25, 2011, 03:15 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Brøndbyvester
Joined Jun 2009
598 Posts
On my Easy star, I could only control the plane using elevator, rudder and speed. The aileron-channel did I use to pan my camera.

With the Skywalker, I have no channel left to pan the camera. Will the only solution to pan the camera, be to drop the use of rudder and instead use it for pan or to use a headtracker, and keep the rudder ?

I have a Futaba T7C Tx
SpookiePower is online now Find More Posts by SpookiePower
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2011, 04:00 AM
Joined Apr 2009
717 Posts
I like to use the plastic hinges, but then i have been convinced to use the tape.. much less weigth and more simplicity. I've just cut the foam in two points (or 3) to pass the tape between, leaving the rest, so you don't need additional "covering" tape.

I've used the double taped method:

......=====
......xxxxxxx....WING
AIRELON..xxxxxxxx
.............======

where the "xxxxxxx" is the tape side with the glue, it's attached side to side (two tape pieces) for a part, to attach the two pieces together, and then attached to the airelon and to the wing on each other side.
npole is offline Find More Posts by npole
Old May 25, 2011, 04:05 AM
Joined Jun 2009
598 Posts
What kind of tape did you use ? I know you use double side, but what brand/name ?
Old May 25, 2011, 05:11 AM
Flying low is expensive.
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookiePower View Post
What kind of tape did you use ? I know you use double side, but what brand/name ?
He didn't use double sided tape, he used single sided tape and over lapped them in the middle where they pass by the actual hinge part. This allows you to stick it to the top of the wing and bottom of the control surface, or visa versa. I can't speak for the brand.
pdiddyg40 is offline Find More Posts by pdiddyg40
Old May 25, 2011, 06:13 AM
Still flying
Oslo, Norway
Joined Feb 2009
556 Posts
Quote:
Today I received my skywalker and everything seems to be fine, almost.

When I look at the part, where the ailerons are moving up/down, the foam seems so thin that it in some places is missing. Is this normal, or should I give it some tape on top of the wings ?
Hei på deg
If I was you i would have cut out the whole piece of aileron and hinge them with tape. It's not that hard even for a first timer as me. Searh Google for "tape hinges" or similar and you'll fin lots of links with how-to's.

You can even search in this thread and you should find the way i did it.
Need more help, PM me in Danish.

Jorn
Ramnes is offline Find More Posts by Ramnes
Old May 25, 2011, 07:04 AM
Joined Dec 2005
1,805 Posts
I tend to use CA hinges on all my stuff. No problems so far.

Installing CA Hinges (3 min 9 sec)
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA
Old May 25, 2011, 07:11 AM
Joined Apr 2009
717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddyg40 View Post
He didn't use double sided tape, he used single sided tape and over lapped them in the middle where they pass by the actual hinge part. This allows you to stick it to the top of the wing and bottom of the control surface, or visa versa. I can't speak for the brand.
Correct... didn't had time to paint a picture (anyway you can find it browsing this forum), it's normal transparent single side tape, you overlap the two pieces FACE TO FACE where it passes trought the hinge as said... you have only to make sure that it stick good on the EPP (mine does it very well), no specific brand.
npole is offline Find More Posts by npole
Old May 25, 2011, 08:49 AM
UAV Pilot
sweden
Joined May 2007
1,004 Posts
Quote:
On my Easy star, I could only control the plane using elevator, rudder and speed. The aileron-channel did I use to pan my camera.

With the Skywalker, I have no channel left to pan the camera. Will the only solution to pan the camera, be to drop the use of rudder and instead use it for pan or to use a headtracker, and keep the rudder ?

I have a Futaba T7C Tx
Hej!

On my skywalker I use Y-cables for pan/tilt & they are connected to rudder/elevator

I use 4 channels for flaps/ailerons - but will most likely change this into y-cables as well to free up channels (need to control eagle tree)
UndCon is offline Find More Posts by UndCon
Old May 25, 2011, 09:14 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Aberdeen
Joined May 2011
94 Posts
Update on my removable tail mod
See pics. Cheers
thundead is online now Find More Posts by thundead
Old May 25, 2011, 09:23 AM
FPV addict
Giske, Norway
Joined Aug 2009
521 Posts
Hi guys,

Are the boxed servos any good?
Should I use other servos?

Kristian
KristianS is offline Find More Posts by KristianS
Old May 25, 2011, 09:27 AM
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2007
414 Posts
Just what i had in mind
marco899 is offline Find More Posts by marco899
Old May 25, 2011, 09:32 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,960 Posts
Good hing discussion... my method....

put your control surface at the maximum deflection, tape along the inside with the tape touching both the control surface and wing.... then deflect the control surface maximumm the other way.... tap along there too... all the way along.... done, 10 minutes tops.

works perfect, leaves no air gap and is proven to excess of 130km/hr on my wings.

I tend to use the re-enforced tape (with the thin lines going through it) just dont use packing tape

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old May 25, 2011, 09:50 AM
Joined Jun 2009
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndCon View Post
Hej!

On my skywalker I use Y-cables for pan/tilt & they are connected to rudder/elevator

I use 4 channels for flaps/ailerons - but will most likely change this into y-cables as well to free up channels (need to control eagle tree)
Does it means, that each time you turn the plane left/rigth the camera wil also turn ?
Old May 25, 2011, 09:57 AM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
Good hing discussion... my method....

put your control surface at the maximum deflection, tape along the inside with the tape touching both the control surface and wing.... then deflect the control surface maximumm the other way.... tap along there too... all the way along.... done, 10 minutes tops.

works perfect, leaves no air gap and is proven to excess of 130km/hr on my wings.

I tend to use the re-enforced tape (with the thin lines going through it) just dont use packing tape

Steve
I've used plain packing tape on foam without issue. Although I did use re-enforced tape on the SW. Anyway I have a 3 year old foamy with packing tape on the hinges and 100's of flights on it. Just found it strange you would exclude using it. Why?
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Old May 25, 2011, 10:15 AM
Fast and low...
Joined Apr 2009
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa78 View Post
To float an idea for comments, I was considering installing the 5.8GHz 200mW Vtx either inside the fuselage or on the fuselage boom and using a servo to change antenna polarization and making it such that the antenna points vertically down beneath the airplane while in flight and a toggle switch can change it to horizontal polarization when coming in for belly landing. Any ideas/comments regarding this?
Anyone?
aa78 is offline Find More Posts by aa78