HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2011, 08:09 PM
B to the O to the B
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Jun 2009
75 Posts
I'm using a Scorpion motor, considered one of the highest quality motors available, but it's probably a bit more expensive than the Turnigy.

Also you might want to get a 4s Lipo. I'm sure it would last longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strudel View Post
Hi all!

I'm shopping around for a Skywalker motor; it seems the most popular one used in this thread is the: TURNIGY 35-36B 1300kv

Unfortunately they are on backorder from hobbyking and i can't find a single one in stock anywhere! (there is just one on ebay that is going for $30! should I bid?)

Can anyone suggest a readily available alternative that would work with 3s and the Turnigy UBEC and ESC 40a?

Kind regards, and thanks for any advice!

Paul
Ecibob is offline Find More Posts by Ecibob
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2011, 09:00 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Just finished a P&T mount for the new 690TVL Pixim Ultra WDR monster nose weight. An 0.8oz camera inextricably encased in 2oz of armor plating. Might finally get to see what all the Pixim fuss is about. Can't really tell too much from the basement though.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old May 22, 2011, 09:19 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,388 Posts
Loop?

I flew my SkyWalker today and on WOT (100%)....the slightest "up" elevator at 100% throttle caused the plane to do a complete Loop-360 degree.

Is it too tail heavy?

anyone know why this is happening?

I balance the plane at 20mm behind the servo wires and I have a feeling that the 4 rubber bands may not be enough holding my wings down on the fuselage.......and its causing the front leading edge of the wing to come apart from the fuselage when I'm giving a slight "up" elevator.
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old May 22, 2011, 09:29 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
It's tail heavy. Try balancing it on the servo wire. The point you're at is around 50% back
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 22, 2011, 09:37 PM
Acworth, GA
Joined Mar 2007
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1 View Post
I flew my SkyWalker today and on WOT (100%)....the slightest "up" elevator at 100% throttle caused the plane to do a complete Loop-360 degree.

Is it too tail heavy?

I balance the plane at 20mm behind the servo wires and I have a feeling that the 4 rubber bands may not be enough holding my wings down on the fuselage.......and its causing the front leading edge of the wing to come apart from the fuselage when I'm giving a slight "up" elevator.
This same thing was happening to me with my first SW. You need more rubber bands. The leading edge of the wing is "popping" up momentarily only long enough to cause the entire bird to pitch up violently and quickly. More rubber bands will keep the wing down where it belongs.

Also, be sure to place caps over the ends of the CF tubes you wrap your rubber bands around. I didn't on my second SW and the rubber bands came off mid-flight...not pretty.
Avenger GBU-1H is offline Find More Posts by Avenger GBU-1H
Old May 22, 2011, 10:48 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,740 Posts
Quote:
What are your throws set to? Mine are 7.5mm max up and down and I havn't yet found a perfect balance but I'm somewhere up to 30 mm from the servowire. Daemon uses 5mm up and down max and is even further back.
Blueshy is offline Find More Posts by Blueshy
Old May 22, 2011, 11:42 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,916 Posts
I was talking to some of my buddies from the "pusher" group as I have never owned a model of this configuration before. They suggested that if there were changes to the thrust angle as a result of moving the motor to accomodate a larger prop, that MORE downthrust may be required. It seems counter intuitive !

Anyay, I am sure the wing fixture is one critical area to address and maybe thrust angle is another. Either way, I will not be relying on OSD or AP until I get the model well sorted on its flight characteristics with LOS and regular RC. J
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old May 22, 2011, 11:54 PM
KJ6BFN
United States, CA, Fountain Valley
Joined Aug 2008
718 Posts
Quote:
Hi all!

I'm shopping around for a Skywalker motor; it seems the most popular one used in this thread is the: TURNIGY 35-36B 1300kv

Unfortunately they are on backorder from hobbyking and i can't find a single one in stock anywhere! (there is just one on ebay that is going for $30! should I bid?)

Can anyone suggest a readily available alternative that would work with 3s and the Turnigy UBEC and ESC 40a?

Kind regards, and thanks for any advice!

Paul
Here is an affordable Scorpion but for 4S though:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1437489
henkvdw is offline Find More Posts by henkvdw
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Priority Mail
Old May 23, 2011, 12:50 AM
Switzerland, VS, Oberems
Joined Apr 2010
525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthOrbiter View Post
Those horizontal lines are exactly what servo noises can do to the video TX on a BEC connection if the Video power is part of the same.
Ground testing is important before flying.
I wish I could have told you before flight.
Take care,
Yes but this has nothing to do with
The failure we had.
Thanks. Hope he will dont give up the hobby.
w4Rd3n is offline Find More Posts by w4Rd3n
Old May 23, 2011, 02:35 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,203 Posts
Quote:

Is it too tail heavy?

It's certainly not tail heavy at 20mm behind the servo wires. Either elevator throws
are too big, or the wing is really lifting up against the rubber bands, or a combination
of both. I've had mine in some pretty steep dives and have never had it do anything
like that, but certainly something to look for I guess.

BTW, a true tail heavy (CG behind the center of lift) plane at extremely high speeds,
will tuck (nose goes down, not up).

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2011, 04:30 AM
Joined Apr 2008
356 Posts
Quote:
Hi all!

I had that motor on mine, with 8x4 prop and 4s battery, it was fine until burned after 4 flights. Thust is very good, but long climbs kill it. Much better option is the 3548 with 10x6 (same battery), exact same setup i use in rc combat, with a 4500mah nanotech 4s gives about 2kg thrust, and i can take full throttle for 7 minutes (even loger, if battery can stand up), motor don't get too warm and don't get burned after few flights
GliderLover is offline Find More Posts by GliderLover
Old May 23, 2011, 06:22 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Aberdeen
Joined May 2011
94 Posts
My SW build log + pics

Hey everyone,

Been reading the forums for a while now and got my sw almost rtf.
Here's a quick build log showing what I did

------------
Parts List
HobbyKing:

FPV Fiberglass Pan-Tilt Camera Mount
HK15178 Analog Servo 10g / 1.4kg / 0.09s
Corona 939MG Digital Metal Gear Servo 2.7kg/
Corona 939MG Metal Gear Servo 2.5kg/ 12.5g/
TURNIGY TRUST 55A SBEC Brushless Speed Contr
Turnigy nano-tech 6000mah 3S 25~50C Lipo Pac
TGS Sport 9x6E Precision propeller
Carbon Fiber Tube (hollow) 3x2x750mm
TR 35-42D 1000kv Brushless Outrunner eq: AXi
1/3-inch SONY CCD Video Camera (PAL)
TURNIGY 8-15A UBEC for Lipoly

BEVRC:
Chainlink tx & Rx
SW kit
2.4ghz 500mw video tx rx
CEOSD OSD

Amazon.co.uk
Alfa 7db Patch antenna

Ebay.co.uk
Neodyum magnets (3.1kg pull)
Nuts and bolts
plywood for motor mount
fiber tape
everything else

--------------------------

Problems/Solutions:

I had to make the plane fit into a 120L cargo bag (93cm long) because I'll be taking the plane to Greece on holiday.
Solution: Made tail removable using high pull neodyum magnets.
------

Seems everyone has reinforced the wings.
Did mine using 2 carbon rods + fiber tape
-------

Wasn't very happy using the rubber bands to hold my wings so added 4 neodyum magnets.
-------

Created a new motor mount that's attached to the stock one using 4 bolts
This should make my motor removable just in case.
-------

Using a separate 3s 2200 lipo for video tx, osd, Ubec (for rx, servos etc)
-------

Will mount gws floats because i'll be surrounded by water haha.
-------

Other info
total weight with hh cam 2300g
CG on servo wires

-----------
Hope this helps anyone starting their build
Any comments, questions, problems before I maiden my plane are welcome

Cheers.
thundead is online now Find More Posts by thundead
Old May 23, 2011, 06:58 AM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,183 Posts
thundead: I hope you are not relying only on the magnets to hold the tail and wing on the fuse!!??? If so, you're going to get a big surprise on the maiden flight

The way I see it, the tail is going to wiggle/shake a lot since the tailboom rod is not glued on to the fuse...
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse
Old May 23, 2011, 07:00 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Aberdeen
Joined May 2011
94 Posts
haha definitely not!, fiber tape on tail + rubber bands on wings. The magnets are strong but still wouldn't rely only on them to hold things together.
thundead is online now Find More Posts by thundead
Old May 23, 2011, 08:32 AM
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2007
414 Posts
Maybe an idea for your removable tail: Remove the magnet and place a extra cf rod in it to prevend the tail going to twist. Glue some wood in the cargo and put the long CF thru the wood. Fasten with a cotter pin. So cotter pin out an you can remove your tail. (i hope my english is good enough to explain).
marco899 is offline Find More Posts by marco899