HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 16, 2011, 10:28 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randall1959 View Post
When I bench test I remove the hatch. I did notice that the vtx gets pretty warm. I thought it was odd that it didn't have a heat sink or at least air holes in the case.
I have that vtx too, different vendor, but the same product. I put two of these Radioshack heatsinks on it with Arctic Silver thermal adhesive. The heatsink(s) should attach on the side opposite the channel number display for best efficiency.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2011, 10:34 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Thanks for the info on the heat sink supplier. I was also thinking of going to a computer store and see if they had any old chipset heatsinks lying around.
I figured I'd lay the vtx on it's side and add heat sinks to front and back. Never any such thing as too much heat transfer. Do they have to be bonded or can I just zip tie them on?
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 16, 2011, 10:36 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,799 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the info on the heat sink supplier. I was also thinking of going to a computer store and see if they had any old chipset heatsinks lying around.
I figured I'd lay the vtx on it's side and add heat sinks to front and back. Never any such thing as too much heat transfer. Do they have to be bonded or can I just zip tie them on?
No, no zip tie use this as Tuppertn suggested : Arctic Silver thermal adhesive.
nakelp86 is online now Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old May 16, 2011, 11:03 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Do they have to be bonded or can I just zip tie them on?
If you don't want them to be permanent you can zip tie them but you MUST use a thermal compound between the vtx case and the heatsink. It has the consistency of lithium grease so it fills the airspace gap and allows efficient heat transfer but it's not an adhesive. The stuff stays goopy/greasy and allows you to remove the heatsinks if you wish. Adhesive is better, but thermal compound works too.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old May 16, 2011, 11:21 PM
San Francisco
Joined May 2009
1,100 Posts
Quote:
I got THESE at Fry's electronics and they work great. They have double sided tape. They are small so I put three on mine. They are also allot lighter than the Radio Shack heat-sink.
rsowder is offline Find More Posts by rsowder
Old May 17, 2011, 12:34 AM
United States, FL, Shalimar
Joined Jan 2009
322 Posts
I use these, just cut them to any size you want, and use the thermal adhesive above.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16503
jolly01 is offline Find More Posts by jolly01
Old May 17, 2011, 01:03 AM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuppertn View Post
I have that vtx too, different vendor, but the same product. I put two of these Radioshack heatsinks on it with Arctic Silver thermal adhesive. The heatsink(s) should attach on the side opposite the channel number display for best efficiency.

kendall
Haha, I did the EXACT same thing as you. Same heatsink, same placement (opposite the channel display), same thermal compound. Only used one though.

I placed my VTx on the little flat spot on the tail boom. The heatsink is perpendicular to the motor so the motor cools it when its on and blows air down the individual sinks.
Blueshy is offline Find More Posts by Blueshy
Old May 17, 2011, 03:45 AM
Papakura New Zealand
Joined Aug 2010
51 Posts
Hi Van, thanks for the great video, is that the standard lens in the gopro? have you got any filtering on the leads from the gopro? Thanks regards Nigel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Sorry to hear/see of your plane going done. Not that it would have made much of a difference, but chopping throttle would have been a good idea.

FWIW, I did my GoPro maiden voyage this past weekend...with good results. I used the GoPro's vid out for my VTx...worked great...much better picture than my SN555. I'm flying with a Dragon Link UHF system and had no issues of range reduction. Enjoy the vid:
http://vimeo.com/23744601
zl2sea is offline Find More Posts by zl2sea
Old May 17, 2011, 07:28 AM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
5,003 Posts
A step closer to maiden of the SW. I finally got the flight systems to work. 2 components malfunction out of the box. The VTX works but the channels switch numbers
do not correspond even closely to the manual. It is a commonly used 5.8g 500 mw VTX. I also bought a 200 mw (which wrks well) because of advice here and this is how I knew it was a switch issue as all the circuits were fine. Somehow, I fluked a switch combination that works on channel 8. no other switch combination lights up my goggles.

I also ran the multi meter over some of the OSD and found a cold solder joint. Too difficult for me to fix but lucky for me, not for my office techs. They make and repair PCbs for a living !

I just need a day or two to get it finished. Pity I need to work to pay for all my vices
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old May 17, 2011, 07:41 AM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,190 Posts
Film covering?

Anyone did it on their SW? I'm not done yet but so far I'm quite pleased with the results. Add some stiffness too and is not heavy at all. Still surprise how well this thing sticks to EPO.
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse
Old May 17, 2011, 07:49 AM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
5,003 Posts
Are you using an adhesive like 3m 77 ?
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old May 17, 2011, 08:31 AM
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,190 Posts
Nope. No need with this film covering. Had to remove some of it because the cat chewed the wing tip... found out the bonding was quite good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb1rdz View Post
Are you using an adhesive like 3m 77 ?
Old May 17, 2011, 08:47 AM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucisse View Post
Anyone did it on their SW? I'm not done yet but so far I'm quite pleased with the results. Add some stiffness too and is not heavy at all. Still surprise how well this thing sticks to EPO.
What brand covering did you use?

I have found some do not stick to foam very well....
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old May 17, 2011, 08:49 AM
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,190 Posts
Came form HK. This is the second plane I've done with it and so far so good. Seems to hold one real good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxiex View Post
What brand covering did you use?

I have found some do not stick to foam very well....
Old May 17, 2011, 11:47 AM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,698 Posts
Great GoPro maiden!!! Love the "walk of shame" footage...I was trying to figure out what they were doing and then made out the plane LOL. At first I was like, boy they do things differently there, because in Chicago usually the walk of shame is done at 8am on the main city streets on a weekend, not the middle of the desert LOL...then I figured it out

I'm so jealous of you guys and your wide open spaces...I practically have to fly between buildings and land in between cars and people LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Sorry to hear/see of your plane going done. Not that it would have made much of a difference, but chopping throttle would have been a good idea.

FWIW, I did my GoPro maiden voyage this past weekend...with good results. I used the GoPro's vid out for my VTx...worked great...much better picture than my SN555. I'm flying with a Dragon Link UHF system and had no issues of range reduction. Enjoy the vid:
http://vimeo.com/23744601
AdamChicago is online now Find More Posts by AdamChicago