HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2011, 08:20 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,657 Posts
To me, it's beautiful any time form really follows function.
What's ugly to me is when function is compromised due to
form, or form implies a function that it's incapable of delivering (like a SW shaped
plane with little usable space inside, or impossible to balance due to poor positioning
of the cockpit).

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2011, 08:35 PM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,910 Posts
Nice looking planes blueshy and npole !

Mine is pure original decal & foam colored glory.

Perhaps I will finish this plane and make it pretty in the future, but for now I will only look out through the camera and never actually at the plane. lol.

I dub her Medussa.

Now if I could just get my Dragon link! If she's miles away I won't have to worry about turning to stone accidently peering around my goggles!
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Old May 11, 2011, 10:50 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
I can't visualize how a rubber band will hold the blades away from center. Got any more photos?
If they can overlap the way I see em in your photo above, then the blade often won't extend at all
when you throttle up. It just shakes violently.

The little metal plate I fashioned is pretty simple. Used some banding
from the hardware store (already has holes in it). Drilled out one of the holes large
enough to go over the adapter hub, then cut it down to the correct length
to hold the prop out with tin snips and made sure it was balanced in all directions.
Doesn't weigh more than a gram or two.

BTW, I'm using a folder, because I'm planning to do plenty of soaring with the SW this
spring on my home slope. For general buzzing around, it's not necessary.

ian
Oh, in that picture they are actually taped back with some clear tape because I was tired of them flopping around since i was about to transport the plane in a car. It took me a little bit of creativity to find the right way to wrap and wind it but in the end the rubber band is great and easy.

(Apologies in advance for the bad picture quality, all ive got right now is my webcam that can take 1.3 MP pics and it has no focus whatsoever...)
Blueshy is offline Find More Posts by Blueshy
Old May 11, 2011, 11:02 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Targetlocman View Post
Nice looking planes blueshy and npole !
Hell yeah! Orange tipped wings/tails ftw.
Old May 11, 2011, 11:05 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by npole View Post
but you must agree that the purpose of this plane isn't to be beauty but to be functional
Actually, I disagree. Why not be both? Sure, be functional. But why not look like a badass while doing it?
Old May 12, 2011, 03:57 AM
SILURIA / UK
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2009
2,444 Posts
Some nicely finished SkyWalkers guys. Mine tend to be pretty functional. Just hate the thought of making it look nice and then trashing it.... They always fly better after a crash too!

Here is my dual Pan/Tilt setup

The HD Hero has full unobstructed view and works well, and I normally fly with a head tracker but I found it a little strange flying without a bit of the fuselage in the picture for reference. Maybe with time I'd get used to it, but in the end I opted for a second synched camera.

The servos are synched for same direction and travel. To do this they had to be dismantled and some of the wires swapped and resistors added. Digital would have been much easier, but didn't have any to hand!

Both pans & tilts run from a Y lead, but in doing so I discovered that some servos would not work together due to interference feedback on the pwm signal.
(Why is nothing simple!! You do learn a lot in this game though.)

Anyway, here's the vid of the setup. Cables and the cams are not fixed down, but you'll get the picture.

http://www.vimeo.com/23625820
Shikra is offline Find More Posts by Shikra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: MultiWii OSD - MWOSD NG
Old May 12, 2011, 07:14 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Brøndbyvester
Joined Jun 2009
613 Posts
I receive my first SW in a few days, and was wondering what kind of gear you have used to attach the FPV camera on top of your SW ?

What about the servos, what kind are you using ? I would like to get some of a good quality, that I can trust for many flights.

I have found these on hobbyking.com HXT900 9g / 1.6kg / .12sec Micro Servo. Would you trust them for use on the rudder,elevator and ailerons ?
SpookiePower is offline Find More Posts by SpookiePower
Last edited by SpookiePower; May 12, 2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old May 12, 2011, 10:20 AM
SILURIA / UK
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2009
2,444 Posts
Depends on the cam.
On lightest one I use a hyperion atlas digital metal gear. On the larger dx201 I actually use a standard servo on the planes that do a lot of flying. Bit more weight, but they keep working without any wobble. OTT unless you use pan/tilt all the time.

There is a small servo hole just behind where I have the tx antenna on mine. A small hitec will fit in there. 9gr-19gr depending upon camera is probably a good start.
Shikra is offline Find More Posts by Shikra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: MultiWii OSD - MWOSD NG
Old May 12, 2011, 10:40 AM
United States, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Jan 2011
130 Posts
Anyone have the SkyWalker in stock?

How about a shopping list for the parts? Can someone share what they think is the best servos, motor, batt, esc, prop...

Thanks,
Pete
peatmoss is offline Find More Posts by peatmoss
Old May 12, 2011, 10:53 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2005
236 Posts
rtft
cwd10 is offline Find More Posts by cwd10
Old May 12, 2011, 05:31 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peatmoss View Post
Anyone have the SkyWalker in stock?

Thanks,
Pete
Pretty sure BEV does.
Old May 12, 2011, 06:21 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina540 View Post
They are made from aircraft grade birch ply, the camera plate is 1/32 laminated and painted and the wing saddle is 1/64 ply laminated.

-Anson
Ah, can you give details on how you fit the curves so nicely?
What did you cover the wood with?
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA
Old May 12, 2011, 06:26 PM
Tom Para
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Joined May 2003
1,199 Posts
If you are in the US check out http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=438

I think he just got a bunch in. I would call him if you are specifically looking for version 3.
Tom in Cincy is online now Find More Posts by Tom in Cincy
Old May 12, 2011, 06:37 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshy View Post
Oh, in that picture they are actually taped back with some clear tape because I was tired of them flopping around since i was about to transport the plane in a car. It took me a little bit of creativity to find the right way to wrap and wind it but in the end the rubber band is great and easy.

(Apologies in advance for the bad picture quality, all ive got right now is my webcam that can take 1.3 MP pics and it has no focus whatsoever...)
Old credit cards work great too
nakelp86 is online now Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old May 12, 2011, 06:40 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
hey guys, how to connect the pan with the rudder, so I look in the turn direction?
nakelp86 is online now Find More Posts by nakelp86