HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2011, 06:37 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,809 Posts
GPS in the elctronics Bay?? I can't really tell but I cant see it anywhere else either.

BTW, that is a very neat build, I hope you can land it on a feather down pillow to keep it that way. J
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2011, 07:11 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,673 Posts
GPS receiver is upper left inside the bay. As long as it has mostly just foam
above it, it's fine inside.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2011, 07:40 PM
KK4CCD
United States, NC, Gastonia
Joined Apr 2011
77 Posts
I just received my Skywalker, Chain Link Xmitter and two receivers from BEV.RC.
The plane made it without a scratch on it even though the box appeared crushed in shipment. Very surprised that the forklift that ran over it didn't kill it.

Unfortunately, the Transmitter and two receivers didn't fair as well. Both receivers had bent pins and the transmitter was banged up pretty well.

One receiver, even though encased in a static envelope, had bent pins. The other was found in the bottom of the box with no protection.

Everything was just thrown in the box and as you can imagine, slid back and forth banging against each other the entire trip.

I was able to bend the pins back to their original place. They appear strong still.

The transmitter has a few dings, a messed up LED (although it still lights).

The good: Well I was able to bind each receiver without effort. The only issue I had was with the Futaba trainer plug that seems to have a short in it. Pressing on it usually restores the link but I can't rely on it for flight.

I'll have to order a new one and solder the leads for reliability.

Would I order again? Not sure but I can say I'm excited to get this thing flying.

FCC Technicians test is on Saturday!

R/Avi
avi8tor0 is offline Find More Posts by avi8tor0
Old May 10, 2011, 08:22 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb1rdz View Post
I inherrited some of Tim the Toolmans genes. I can't leave well enough alone, even when simple works better.

I have started a nylon bolt mod. It remains unfitted at this stage . The mod is easy, ply braces glued to the CF rods with blind nuts. Large nylon washes and ply plate imbedded in the top wing surface. It's easy but not any lighter. I cut the parts because I wanted to reduce unnecessary drag. I also have made a brace for E-flite retracts similar to F-16 mounting so the track is wider than the fuse when the gear is down. Again it si not fitted yet as I have had not time at home to work on it and having decent FPV is a higher priority than my streamlining mods. J
I did a nylon screw wing mount on my Skywalker...has worked great. Post here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4186
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2011, 08:24 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy321 View Post
Hey van, do you have the specs of your homemade mount from awhile ago?

I was looking for people who use DL and DOSD so I could get an idea of where to place everything and saw your mount and really liked it. -Tyler
I just home-made bashed one similar to the one offered by ReadyMadeRC: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=295
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2011, 08:29 PM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,809 Posts
.... it just goes to show that what ever you think of, someone else already has.

Thanks for the pictures. They are neater than mine. Ciao J
Old May 10, 2011, 08:38 PM
Joined Apr 2009
717 Posts
One thing guys, i used to hate those rubber bands.. until two weeks ago, when they saved my skywalker from an hard impact with a tree, the wing come off from its place with only a small dent, if it was fixed on the fuselage it would have broken, or it would have ripped off the the screw mounting.
So each solution does have its pros and cons, i've started with the idea to use nylon bolts, but rethinking at it i've changed my mind... those rubber bands are there not because they are the cheapeast solution (for the factory/maker), but to have a point that can evacuate the energy after an impact (it can't simply vanish, and if everything is solid, there will be a breaking point.. otherwise we wouldn't have the bumpers on our cars ).
npole is offline Find More Posts by npole
Old May 10, 2011, 08:44 PM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,809 Posts
I agree NP,

I have swapped out many times the band solution for nylons. BUT you do need the energy absorber as you say. My solution has been to attache the mounting plates with 3M 77 glue.

It bonds, especially EPO foam, very well by keying in - but lets go in a decent hit. The trick is to know how large the bonding surfaces should be. The bands are simpler and more reliable for sure.... I am just a tinkerer !
Old May 10, 2011, 11:28 PM
Fly Big, Low and Slow....
USA, VA, Wicomico
Joined Aug 2008
1,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrape View Post
You guys think the foam will short it out.
+1

I am not concerned with that shorting as the chances something metalic would get wedged there is remote. But thanks for looking over the build so closely.
Alpina540 is offline Find More Posts by Alpina540
Old May 11, 2011, 01:17 AM
UAV Pilot
sweden
Joined May 2007
994 Posts
I use 2pcs Nylon bolts and they seems to work just fine

http://www.undcon.com/2011/01/10/skywalker-wing-mount/

This setup worked when I crashed into a tree so I'm not convinced rubber bands are better

The crash is here - in the end
http://www.undcon.com/2011/04/25/sky...ion-recording/
UndCon is offline Find More Posts by UndCon
Old May 11, 2011, 02:30 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,673 Posts
Hoped to maiden my second SW today, but it was too windy.
Got around to building a pan mount for the Hero HD tonight.
At the base of it is an HS5245 digital servo programmed to 180 degrees throw.
I mounted it low in the cockpit hatch filled the space with foam, and topped
it with a super slippery plastic covering (used to cover fences/guides on power tools
like table saws and make them really slippery), that rests against the bottom of the
big round servo arm that the Hero sits on. It's smooth and solid. Hero is currently
only attached with velcro but I'm going to screw two hooks into the round platform
of the arm in front of and behind the camera and try a couple good rubber bands or
zip tie over the top of the camera to keep it from rocking for and aft. The idea behind
all of this is to make the GoPro mount as stable as possible. My last mount was
a commercial Hero P&T unit and it was just too wobbly in the wind.

I also have done a little experimentation with the motor mount trying to isolate
the motor vibration a bit. Same two layers of ply with blind nuts installed behind it
and Gooped onto the stock mount a little high so I can clear a 10x6 prop.
But I've opened up the holes in the motor's cross to larger than the screws, and added
a few rubber bushings on either side and into the holes to isolate the screws
from the motor's cross itself. Medium locktite will keep the screws from backing out.
So far it *seems* to produce less vibration but I won't know for sure until I fly it
with the Hero. For some reason it *sounds* very different.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; May 11, 2011 at 02:36 AM.
Old May 11, 2011, 04:06 AM
Joined Apr 2009
717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndCon View Post
I use 2pcs Nylon bolts and they seems to work just fine

http://www.undcon.com/2011/01/10/skywalker-wing-mount/

This setup worked when I crashed into a tree so I'm not convinced rubber bands are better

The crash is here - in the end
http://www.undcon.com/2011/04/25/sky...ion-recording/
It depends of the crash of course... if you going to impact with the nose/fuselage, only a minimum part of the energy is transferred to the wing section because it's lighter (intertia), BUT if you hit it with your wing at enough speed while your fuselage is "free to go", it will ripp off the whole thing because you won't have any energy absorber between the two. That's true even while landing, if for any reason the wings hits an obstacle, or if the wing tip (ie: because of the wind) hits the ground before the belly.
npole is offline Find More Posts by npole
Old May 11, 2011, 05:52 AM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
...I also have done a little experimentation with the motor mount trying to isolate the motor vibration a bit...
What hub are you using with the APC folder? I like that little metal strip against the propnut. It's a nice idea for keeping the blades from folding back too much without a spinner.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old May 11, 2011, 06:43 AM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,178 Posts
Ian, are you going to mix the pan of the RCV922 with the GoPro's pan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
...Got around to building a pan mount for the Hero HD tonight.
At the base of it is an HS5245 digital servo programmed to 180 degrees throw.
I mounted it low in the cockpit hatch filled the space with foam, and topped
it with a super slippery plastic covering (used to cover fences/guides on power tools
like table saws and make them really slippery), that rests against the bottom of the
big round servo arm that the Hero sits on. It's smooth and solid.

ian
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse
Old May 11, 2011, 11:24 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,673 Posts
Don't have an extra channel so will use a simple Y-harness to drive both pan servos.
Have to reverse the direction of one of the servos so they'll turn the same way, but
they're both digital and programmable so that's easy.

ian
RCG Plus Member