HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2011, 10:39 PM
Fly Big, Low and Slow....
USA, VA, Wicomico
Joined Aug 2008
1,358 Posts
I agree, the missing canopy cant be helping.
Alpina540 is offline Find More Posts by Alpina540
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2011, 10:54 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2011
1,289 Posts
yeah, i snapped my wing in relatively easy going flying (slight pull up... very very very very very slight pull up). I'm not happy about it. v3 does not look much better either (spar looks too close to the surface). they need full length spars. no point having a plane that is designed to carry so much without a properly supported wing.

And as for them saying its not designed to carry so much.. that's the market they are targeting, thats the main and probably only reason why we buy the skywalker!! that sort of comment will just turn people away ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvegas View Post
be carefull on newest skywalker...my wing broke off at the ends of rods in wings ....this while flying straight at hald throttle and only had a digital camera on board...manufacture said it must of been from a steep climb!! as well as it will not handle over 1.8kg anyway had this happen to a friend fpv shywalker too...if its not meant to put a few grams in it why the space? anyone want to see their responce will be more then happy to forward it along with pictures of plane...buyers beware!!!!!
PMRfly is offline Find More Posts by PMRfly
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 08, 2011, 11:19 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,947 Posts
I have a V3 under construction. I cannot compare it to earlier versions as I am a newbie to FPV. The V3 wing looks up to the task if, in my case the simple procedure is followed.

I always reinforce the LE with cross weave fibretape on every foamie. I do if more to ensure that this critcal part of the airfoil stays unspoiled for as long as possible. The fiber tape does go deteriorate after a while so I ususally over cover that with trim tape which also aids orientation. There appears to be enough CF to keep it well together although as a precaution I intend to add some cf ribbon out to the tips.

BTW thanks for the warnings.

Hopefully a flight report in a couple of weeks.

IMO you could but the V3 with confidence. No comment on previous versions.
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old May 08, 2011, 11:25 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,947 Posts
Dumb newbie question.

I lack experience with flight aids like gyros and auto pilots etc. However, I do want to fit the FY 21 AP to give me an additional safety net given our aussie RX/TX limitations. I will have decent DMGs all round.
Will the model be more stable if I set the model TX with expo or should I just let the AP do its own thing and manage the gain??
J
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old May 09, 2011, 03:14 AM
Unregistered User
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy321 View Post
Are you guys feeding you elevator and rudder extensions through the cf boom?

And if I have some tail twist, will 30 min epoxy and just holding it where I want keep it in the right place after it dries?

-Tyler
I am and I'm using toroids near the tail servos just in case. About 1 page ago I asked the same question about the glue because I have the same twist problem so you can read those answers.
cmanley_nl is offline Find More Posts by cmanley_nl
Old May 09, 2011, 03:43 AM
Joined Apr 2009
717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danvegas View Post
be carefull on newest skywalker...my wing broke off at the ends of rods in wings....
More details please, you managed to broke a V3 wing? When you say the "newest" you mean the latest? The one with the third carbon tube embed into the wing? If yes, please respond to this, it would help all us:

- You were leveled flight (or doing "normal" manouvers)?
- Where exactly the broke happened on the wing, where the two rods finishes, or where the third rod finishes (do you have a picture)?
- Did you glued the rods into the wings (one piece wing)?

Thanks.

(if it wasn't the V3 .. nevermind about the questions, we know unfortunately)

Edit: this is your third message about your broken SW (from May 4th), and we asked already about if you owned the v3 or not, but u never gave details... not to doubt about your words, but we need to know for sure, it would "save" us .. eventually. Thanks.
npole is offline Find More Posts by npole
Old May 09, 2011, 04:05 AM
UAV Pilot
sweden
Joined May 2007
1,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy321 View Post
Are you guys feeding you elevator and rudder extensions through the cf boom?

And if I have some tail twist, will 30 min epoxy and just holding it where I want keep it in the right place after it dries?

-Tyler
I feed them thru the CF - works great for me with no toroids on tail.

I used supplied glue - generously spread over all surfaces - still some twist but that is due to EPP nature - not the glue itself.

//UndCon
UndCon is offline Find More Posts by UndCon
Old May 09, 2011, 04:53 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2011
1,289 Posts
i live in panania, sydney, did some minor expo dialled in on turnigy 9x with bevrc long range. had to tune fy21ap to ensure direction matched intention on rth, but did not pull it back too much from top tune and it seems to work well.

have not had an issue with fy21ap yet.. (fingers crossed!)

p.s. pm me, where you flying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb1rdz View Post
Dumb newbie question.

I lack experience with flight aids like gyros and auto pilots etc. However, I do want to fit the FY 21 AP to give me an additional safety net given our aussie RX/TX limitations. I will have decent DMGs all round.
Will the model be more stable if I set the model TX with expo or should I just let the AP do its own thing and manage the gain??
J
PMRfly is offline Find More Posts by PMRfly
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 09, 2011, 10:07 AM
Joined May 2005
1,181 Posts
First of all, sorry for a mistaken input!
I did NOT use a EasyStar motor!!!

I use the motor that did follow the Skywalker Combo + prop !

I also checked the cog, and it`s exactly ON the servo wires on the wing.
Will try to move it 3cm back (as recommended here)
I think that will be tail-heavy ?? but I will try it anyway.

Let you know how it goes later today
Thanx again..
liteglow is offline Find More Posts by liteglow
Old May 09, 2011, 10:17 AM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liteglow View Post
...Will try to move it 3cm back (as recommended here)

Let you know how it goes later today
Thanx again..
Don't forget to reduce your elevator throws.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old May 09, 2011, 11:05 AM
Oopss. Oh well.
In the tropics
Joined Jan 2006
3,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb1rdz View Post
I always reinforce the LE with cross weave fibretape on every foamie.
IMHO, foam wings MUST be reinforced with fibretape to prevent breakage.
The carbon rods only prevents wing flexing, not breakage of the foam structure in case of high G force (acting downwards).

Foam is excellent to counter compression, but has very little structure to prevent separation (breakage).

Regardless if you are flying above or below the recommended 1.8 kg flying weight, reinforcing the wings with fibre-tape is a must!
borneobear is offline Find More Posts by borneobear
Old May 09, 2011, 11:35 AM
Joined Apr 2009
717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liteglow View Post
First of all, sorry for a mistaken input!
I did NOT use a EasyStar motor!!!

I use the motor that did follow the Skywalker Combo + prop !
Better.. but WICH motor? ...name? Model? KV ? Watt?

Quote:
I also checked the cog, and it`s exactly ON the servo wires on the wing.
Will try to move it 3cm back (as recommended here)
Don't move it so much initially, move it just 1cm. back .. and try, then 2cm. and see if it's getting better. SW isn't that sensible to a wrong CG but a very tail heavy airplane would be hard to control and we won't have a crash.
npole is offline Find More Posts by npole
Old May 09, 2011, 11:44 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by npole View Post
SW isn't that sensible to a wrong CG but a very tail heavy airplane would be hard to control and we won't have a crash.
30mm behind the servo wire slot does not make the SW "a very tail heavy airplane". Many of us are running that far back, and sometimes more, without issue.
Running the CG *at* the servo wire slot, makes the SW a "very nose heavy airplane" and performance suffers accordingly.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old May 09, 2011, 07:39 PM
Acworth, GA
Joined Mar 2007
225 Posts
Skywalker "Belly Sheild"

Friends,

I am about to start building my 2nd skywalker. I recall seeing somewhere that someone was making "belly sheilds". Can someone direct me to a website that carries these?

TIA to all.
Avenger GBU-1H is offline Find More Posts by Avenger GBU-1H
Old May 09, 2011, 07:55 PM
RC Connectors dot com
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Jan 2008
1,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger GBU-1H View Post
Friends,

I am about to start building my 2nd skywalker. I recall seeing somewhere that someone was making "belly sheilds". Can someone direct me to a website that carries these?

TIA to all.
http://www.bevrc.com/bevgf-protect-k...ker-p-209.html

they've been out every other time I checked so get it now if you want it.
glenn2626 is offline Find More Posts by glenn2626
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Xtreme Video TX cable