HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2011, 09:18 AM
KJ4YYJ
Saint Petersburg FL
Joined Jun 2009
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmonster99 View Post
Like Crist said, I guess different setups will produce different results. the same happened to me as shikra... on the maiden flight the ESC overheated and shut down. I had no UBEC and mine ended up in a spiral dive nose first on the ground from about 100m height.
Fortunatele I got only a crumpled nose out of this. I tried prizing off the ESC from the compartment, it was stuck to the foam by being melted into it.
I had a 40A speed controller and my motor does not burn more han 35A WOT .
In hindsight I should perhaps have a 60A speed controller, but the one I have now (another 40A) lives outdoors and it is cool as a cucumber at all times

so, from personal experience I will keep it out...

My GPS sensor lives inside the wing housing compartment.
What motor are you using?

thanks for the help
EugeneFlorida is offline Find More Posts by EugeneFlorida
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2011, 09:49 AM
Joined Apr 2009
717 Posts
Doesn't the ESC cut only the motor output? I mean the BEC shouldn't shut down, so how u managed to crash? i may believe about an unexpected stall (if you don't figure that your motor is gone off) but can't you recover with 100m height?
npole is offline Find More Posts by npole
Old Apr 04, 2011, 10:05 AM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,629 Posts
Pan/tilt camera mount

I currently have my pan/tilt on the canopy, but it is a PITA to have to recconect my servos and video cables everytime I change the battery.

I'm currently thinking about moving my Pan/tilt to where they have that little cutout. For those of you who have done this... does this work a lot better?

Only thing I don't like about this is my cockpit area will be in my video the whole time. -Tyler

EDIT: Another thing: those who have the camera right on the front, how do you stand connecting and disconnecting the wires everytime you fly? -Tyler
flyboy321 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy321
Old Apr 04, 2011, 10:20 AM
San Francisco
Joined May 2009
1,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy321 View Post
I currently have my pan/tilt on the canopy, but it is a PITA to have to recconect my servos and video cables everytime I change the battery.

I'm currently thinking about moving my Pan/tilt to where they have that little cutout. For those of you who have done this... does this work a lot better?

Only thing I don't like about this is my cockpit area will be in my video the whole time. -Tyler

EDIT: Another thing: those who have the camera right on the front, how do you stand connecting and disconnecting the wires everytime you fly? -Tyler
I originally had my camera mounted there. I simply made the wires long enough so I never had to disconnect them to replace the batteries.
rsowder is online now Find More Posts by rsowder
Last edited by rsowder; Apr 04, 2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 10:48 AM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,629 Posts
Where do you have it now?
flyboy321 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy321
Old Apr 04, 2011, 11:13 AM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Mine's up in front. Like rsowder, my wires are long enough to not have to disconnect.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old Apr 04, 2011, 11:26 AM
UK, North Down, Bangor
Joined Nov 2009
1,593 Posts
I went for mounting mine on the top in front of the wing. Several reasons:

1. GoPro is going on the nose.
2. It was easy to mount there.

Haven't yet flown it, so can't say how good it is. I have tested the cam and it requires quite a bit of down angle of the camera to get the nose in the frame (I think it's a 2.8mm or 3mm lens)....

Of course when the GoPro is mounted it will be bang in the middle bottom of my flying cam frame.
venquessa is offline Find More Posts by venquessa
Old Apr 04, 2011, 02:14 PM
Bridgwater, UK
Joined May 2003
673 Posts
Can the guys that use flaps share some info please.
How much do they shorten the landing?
What angle of flap is best for take off? landing? cruising?
Do you need to retrim when you use flaps?
What C of G are you using?

Many thanks, Terry
Terry S is offline Find More Posts by Terry S
Old Apr 04, 2011, 02:28 PM
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,217 Posts
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
Last edited by LexusFPV; Apr 04, 2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 04:06 PM
United States, CA, Laguna Beach
Joined Dec 2009
191 Posts
I maidened my skywalker today and I had a few problems, I was able to fly it but it was not stable at all. There was a slight breeze just barely enough to make tree tops move every once in a while, but my main concern was on launch it would want to dive down for no reason, seemed like the faster I went the faster it would try to nose dive and it was like oscillating getting faster with each dive it took, im just curious as to what could cause this. When I held my plane still on the ground and powered it up the tail didnt shake much and everything seemed fine. Might have something to do with CG, which I have a tad behind normal CG but I didnt get to test it since one of the dives was too fast for me to recover from and nose cracked a little.
ruffo is offline Find More Posts by ruffo
Old Apr 04, 2011, 04:55 PM
Flying low is expensive.
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffo View Post
I maidened my skywalker today and I had a few problems, I was able to fly it but it was not stable at all. There was a slight breeze just barely enough to make tree tops move every once in a while, but my main concern was on launch it would want to dive down for no reason, seemed like the faster I went the faster it would try to nose dive and it was like oscillating getting faster with each dive it took, im just curious as to what could cause this. When I held my plane still on the ground and powered it up the tail didnt shake much and everything seemed fine. Might have something to do with CG, which I have a tad behind normal CG but I didnt get to test it since one of the dives was too fast for me to recover from and nose cracked a little.
Just to be sure- your elevator isnt reversed, is it? I do that a lot, so i figured I'd ask I'd also check your thrust angle, and after that the incidence of your horizontal stab. Those are some places to start
pdiddyg40 is offline Find More Posts by pdiddyg40
Old Apr 04, 2011, 04:57 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffo View Post
The plane will dive briefly with throttle due to the high thrust line. The harder you punch it the more it will dive. Launch at a higher angle or with less throttle.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old Apr 04, 2011, 05:14 PM
UAV Pilot
sweden
Joined May 2007
1,004 Posts
Mine has to be the slowest build on the planet

Here is some progress on the FPV wiring

http://www.undcon.com/2011/04/04/sky...-progress-fpv/
UndCon is offline Find More Posts by UndCon
Old Apr 04, 2011, 05:24 PM
San Francisco
Joined May 2009
1,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy321 View Post
Where do you have it now?
In the space they provide, just forward of the wing.
rsowder is online now Find More Posts by rsowder
Old Apr 04, 2011, 06:29 PM
CQ CQ DX RC
Pahrump, NV
Joined Nov 2008
691 Posts
Now this is a rather new approach...
w7mag is offline Find More Posts by w7mag