HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2011, 04:50 PM
SILURIA / UK
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2009
2,440 Posts
I see some of you guys put their ESC under the wing - well I did that too, but it failed after a few flights. I don't know if it was heat related or just a general fault.
Luckily I was close in and use a seperate BEC so could glide back OK.
Didn't fancy risking another under the wing without knowing the temperature in there.
Shikra is offline Find More Posts by Shikra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: MultiWii OSD - MWOSD NG
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2011, 05:25 PM
VaZ
TheFlyer_PT
Portugal
Joined Feb 2011
611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricmick View Post
The switch positions depend upon how you have mounted the sensor block + or x relative to the fuselage. However, the trick with the CP4 is to follow the instructions very carefully. They are not well written and not laid out to easily read on a screen, more logical if you have them printed out.

1) Set up the CP4 precisely as per the instructions

2) If possible have the sensitivity going to a trim on your radio.

3) Trim the SW for straight and level, hands off the controls at cruising speed with the CP4 turned right down. Land and check all control surfaces are neutral, if not then different issue.

4) Set CP4 sensitivity to maximum, perform the pre-flight check as per instructions

5) Check that servos move in the correct directions when tilting the SW

6) Check that when you hold the the SW in the straight and level flight attitude the control surfaces are neutral.

7) turn down the sensitivity to low-position i.e. stabilisation off

8) launch SW and achieve straight and level flight at cruise power and then slowly increase sensitivity. SW should stay S&L, if not then above not carried out correctly.

Hope this helps, good luck.
Will do so. Thanks for the info
VaZ is offline Find More Posts by VaZ
Old Apr 03, 2011, 06:56 PM
United States, CA, Marin County
Joined Apr 2009
805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmonster99 View Post
I see the ESC is under the wing.
1) the toroid might foul against the wing base
2) it has been acknowledged that this is not the best place for the ESC as it will overheat, either install cooling vents or install the ESC outside, for example, right under the motor
The toroid wasn't an issue with the wing base, but the ESC heat is a good point. Unfortunately, that isn't a problem I'll have the opportunity to solve. I set the CG at 75mm behind leading edge, but it flew like it was a little tail heavy, so I brought it around to land. The right wing folded on the way down, less than 30 seconds in. Of course, it folded near the end of the wing spar.

I read where a few people said that extra wing reinforcement isn't necessary with the new EPO version, so I chose to use stock wings. Big mistake!

The plane could probably be salvaged, but I hesitate to spend more time and money knowing that another part of it may fold. I think I'll just wait for the Ritewing I ordered a couple of weeks ago.

-TL
wtl0715 is offline Find More Posts by wtl0715
Last edited by wtl0715; Apr 03, 2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old Apr 03, 2011, 08:21 PM
San Francisco
Joined May 2009
1,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtl0715 View Post
The toroid wasn't an issue with the wing base, but the ESC heat is a good point. Unfortunately, that isn't a problem I'll have the opportunity to solve. I set the CG at 75mm behind leading edge, but it flew like it was a little tail heavy, so I brought it around to land. The right wing folded on the way down, less than 30 seconds in. Of course, it folded near the end of the wing spar.

I read where a few people said that extra wing reinforcement isn't necessary with the new EPO version, so I chose to use stock wings. Big mistake!

The plane could probably be salvaged, but I hesitate to spend more time and money knowing that another part of it may fold. I think I'll just wait for the Ritewing I ordered a couple of weeks ago.

-TL
Sorry to see that, but if the plane is flown within a conservative flight envelope as I do, there is not a problem with the stock wing. I have made no modifications and have over 30 flight hours on my plane. Maybe I'm just lucky, but who knows.
rsowder is offline Find More Posts by rsowder
Old Apr 03, 2011, 08:32 PM
Joined Apr 2009
805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsowder View Post
Sorry to see that, but if the plane is flown within a conservative flight envelope as I do, there is not a problem with the stock wing. I have made no modifications and have over 30 flight hours on my plane. Maybe I'm just lucky, but who knows.
I'm not sure what I did wrong. I flew for less than 20 seconds - definitely didn't get crazy with it. I was trying to get it back down because it felt a bit tail heavy. I'm not sure how fast I was moving, but it wasn't anything over the top.

if I decide to rebuild, I guess I'll have to use a CF rod along the top of the wing from the end of the stock spars to the end of the wings. I'll search for a mod and see how others have done it.

-TL
Old Apr 03, 2011, 08:36 PM
San Francisco
Joined May 2009
1,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtl0715 View Post
I'm not sure what I did wrong. I flew for less than 20 seconds - definitely didn't get crazy with it. I was trying to get it back down because it felt a bit tail heavy. I'm not sure how fast I was moving, but it wasn't anything over the top.

if I decide to rebuild, I guess I'll have to use a CF rod along the top of the wing from the end of the stock spars to the end of the wings. I'll search for a mod and see how others have done it.

-TL
Ii see that BEVRC just came out with a new wing that has the CF extend well beyond the current design. You might just buy the new wing if the fuselage is ok.
rsowder is offline Find More Posts by rsowder
Old Apr 03, 2011, 08:36 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,527 Posts
wtl0715

Ross is selling these SkyWalkers now and you he has parts....
He can make this SkyWalker anyway you like also....

Great Guy knows his stuff.

www.Visual-rc.com

http://www.visual-rc.com/node/165
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Apr 03, 2011, 09:20 PM
Joined Apr 2009
805 Posts
I think that I may be able to rebuild mine (if I decide to give SW another chance). If not, I'll definitely get in touch with Ross.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 03:19 AM
www.shop.trisembly.co.za
South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
1,570 Posts
What is the concensus on putting the esc in the cabin?

People like Crist Rigotti flies with the ESC in the top bay without any issues whatsoever, is it not a matter of to small esc if you are overheating? I'm planning a 920Kv, 9x6 and 60Amp Turnigy plush, should me more than able to handle and not overheat?
rcimports is offline Find More Posts by rcimports
Old Apr 04, 2011, 04:29 AM
Back in Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2003
964 Posts
I have got mine in the fuse under the wing and it runs stone cold...but I do have scoop intakes on both sides and I enlarged the hole that goes down at the back of this compartment to help with getting good air flow. ESC out in the air flow also works well and is easy to do but I just dont like how it looks. What ever you do you need to test that it works with your setup. Remembering that these aircraft will be having long constant engine runs. I am fitting a temp gauge(eagle tree) to mine on my SW because of the flight times I am hoping to acheive when I get my DL tx. Going bigger alone on the ESC is not always enough. Bigger is better but aircooling is a must to keep it reliable. There are enough things that can go wrong with FPV without having to worry about an ESC thermal cutout.

ps...love the SW for FPV.
hornant is offline Find More Posts by hornant
Old Apr 04, 2011, 07:35 AM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
I have my ICE50 under the wing without problems. I don't have anything in the servo cutout on top of the fuse so I cut a cooling hole through that area into the top compartment. The ICE50 also has a big heatsink on it already which I'm sure helps a bit.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old Apr 04, 2011, 07:43 AM
www.shop.trisembly.co.za
South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
1,570 Posts
Cool, thanks for the replies, I'll be putting my Eagletree temp on it as well and see how it goes,

Cheers
D
rcimports is offline Find More Posts by rcimports
Old Apr 04, 2011, 07:43 AM
CQ CQ DX RC
Pahrump, NV
Joined Nov 2008
691 Posts
I placed mine outside alongside the fuse due to summer time temps out here get ridiculously hot. I can't see it getting enough airflow (at least in my case) in the under wing location.
w7mag is offline Find More Posts by w7mag
Old Apr 04, 2011, 08:08 AM
SILURIA / UK
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2009
2,440 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.

Maybe I was just unlucky with a dodgy ESC. I went for a 70A one too - thinking that would help.

I've just fitted mine underneath the motor, in front of the prop.
I shaved off a bit of the fuselage to make a flat, cyano's it then velcro'd it in place. To be sure I wrapped a cable tie around it and through the fusaelage.
Not going to have any airflow issues there! It looks quite tidy too.

And as a bonus, that bay is perfect for my IMU and a few other bits
Shikra is offline Find More Posts by Shikra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: MultiWii OSD - MWOSD NG
Old Apr 04, 2011, 08:29 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikra View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

Maybe I was just unlucky with a dodgy ESC. I went for a 70A one too - thinking that would help.

I've just fitted mine underneath the motor, in front of the prop.
I shaved off a bit of the fuselage to make a flat, cyano's it then velcro'd it in place. To be sure I wrapped a cable tie around it and through the fusaelage.
Not going to have any airflow issues there! It looks quite tidy too.

And as a bonus, that bay is perfect for my IMU and a few other bits
Like Crist said, I guess different setups will produce different results. the same happened to me as shikra... on the maiden flight the ESC overheated and shut down. I had no UBEC and mine ended up in a spiral dive nose first on the ground from about 100m height.
Fortunatele I got only a crumpled nose out of this. I tried prizing off the ESC from the compartment, it was stuck to the foam by being melted into it.
I had a 40A speed controller and my motor does not burn more han 35A WOT .
In hindsight I should perhaps have a 60A speed controller, but the one I have now (another 40A) lives outdoors and it is cool as a cucumber at all times

so, from personal experience I will keep it out...

My GPS sensor lives inside the wing housing compartment.
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99