Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 01, 2010, 03:01 AM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Thanks for that. Would the HS81s be suitable?
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2010, 03:59 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
5,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssassen View Post
Alright, just received my Skywalkers and I'm not a happy chappy

Unfortunately the box was pretty dented and the planes themselves have not been packed very well. With the contents I can maybe build one plane, although with dents and scuff marks all over, the rest of the parts are severly scratched and dented and cannot be used as they look horrible.

Cheers,

Sander.
Man that sucks.
I received mine not long ago and I must say I was lucky the plane did not get damaged. the clear canopy got crushed but it is rubbish anyway. In my opinion the box it too big and too flimsy, they fill it with broken bits of polystyrene and old Chinese newspapers (I was hoping it would not be discarded toilet paper) fortunately the plane itself was nicely wrapped in clean and soft foam like sheets of material.
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Jun 01, 2010, 05:03 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,465 Posts
Skywalker has arrived after 5-6 days since ordering

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~>Miha<~ View Post
Thanks BEVRC,

I am not worried about a few days delay. I am only worried about how it will arrive, if the factory had no packaging material
Hmm, they could have used some old EPS versions for packaging, eh?
Just kidding...

Edit (June 1st): It looks like my parcel is still in Beijing. EMS tracking hasn't been updated since three days now.
2010-05-28 11:00:00 QINGYUAN Posting
2010-05-28 20:39:28 BAODING Despatch from Sorting Center
2010-05-29 09:42:58 BEIJING Arrival at Sorting Center
2010-05-29 15:13:10 BEIJING Despatch from Sorting Center
Maybe it was quite damaged and someone in the sorting center opened it and saw it contained just "packaging material" (the EPO) and then throw it to the garbage

M.
2010-05-31 08:07:00 GRENADA FRANKFURT Arrival at Sorting Center

Folks, my shipping from BEV has just arrived! It was shipped directly to my home. The box is a bit damaged and was kind of "open". Going to make photos of the unpacking. Later...

EDIT: It seems that everything is inside (I had ordered Tx/Rx and cameras too). The Skywalkers seem to have survived the trip... mostly... the wings have some scratches, a few mm deep. And one of the canopies is bended in a few places, but that doesn't matter for me. Definitely packaging must be improved. I was just lucky this time. Photos coming soon.

EDIT: Some photos attached.

Conclusion: Would I order again from BirdsEyeView? Yes!
But improve the packaging please. I am sure clients are willing to pay a couple of bucks more to avoid a lot of trouble with warranty and re-shipping.

Going to test the Tx/Rx and cameras over the week.

Most of the electronic stuff was well hidden inside the belly of one airplane (that's why you don't see it on the photos).

Miha
~>Miha<~ is offline Find More Posts by ~>Miha<~
Last edited by ~>Miha<~; Jun 01, 2010 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Info and photos added
Old Jun 01, 2010, 06:09 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Here's some photos of the damage on mine, these photos were take *after* I gave these parts the hot water treatment, as you can see the scratches/dents/scuffmarks are still very visible and obviously they were a lot worse initially. All this due to the manufacturer not taking the time to pack these items properly.

Cheers,

Sander.
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 01, 2010, 07:00 AM
Any excuse to fly
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Apr 2008
544 Posts
I was lucky that my first one came in good shape apart from some scratches too and I was surprised as the packing was horrible. Even if they filled it full of peanuts it would support it a little more.
A little low luster paint will help :/
LHTPlane is offline Find More Posts by LHTPlane
Old Jun 01, 2010, 07:17 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,565 Posts
Sander and others... ouch, that doesn't look good.

I like the concept of the Skywalker and really hope the manufacturers get the point and package their planes better in the future.
boopidoo is offline Find More Posts by boopidoo
Old Jun 01, 2010, 07:43 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Here's my solution to making sure the wing doesn't fold. This is something which I've successfully used on many builds in the past. I use 8x1mm CF strip, and cut slots in the wing, sand the CF and whipe any grease or dirt off with some alcohol and then insert the strip in the slots.

If you cut deep enough (no, not *through* the wing) you can still keep the dihedral as the wing is much thicker than the CF strip. Glue in place with thin CA (I use ZAP Thin CA) by dropping a few drops in and rocking the wing so the thin glue is evenly distributed (wipe off any excess with aceton).

Make sure you have some overlap with the wingspars, or you've just created a new breaking point. I used ~10cm (4 inches) of overlap which should be more than sufficient, this allowed me to use a single 1000mm length 8x1mm CF strip per wing (two 500mm lengths).

I hope the pictures illustrate things properly, if not, just ask!

Cheers,

Sander.
Old Jun 01, 2010, 10:10 AM
Fly like a bird
Beijing & ShenZhen, China
Joined May 2010
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~>Miha<~ View Post
2010-05-31 08:07:00 GRENADA FRANKFURT Arrival at Sorting Center

Folks, my shipping from BEV has just arrived! It was shipped directly to my home. The box is a bit damaged and was kind of "open". Going to make photos of the unpacking. Later...

EDIT: It seems that everything is inside (I had ordered Tx/Rx and cameras too). The Skywalkers seem to have survived the trip... mostly... the wings have some scratches, a few mm deep. And one of the canopies is bended in a few places, but that doesn't matter for me. Definitely packaging must be improved. I was just lucky this time. Photos coming soon.

EDIT: Some photos attached.

Conclusion: Would I order again from BirdsEyeView? Yes!
But improve the packaging please. I am sure clients are willing to pay a couple of bucks more to avoid a lot of trouble with warranty and re-shipping.

Going to test the Tx/Rx and cameras over the week.

Most of the electronic stuff was well hidden inside the belly of one airplane (that's why you don't see it on the photos).

Miha
Thanks Miha, I have talked to the skywalker CEO, he promise to improve the package, the latest skywalkers he send to me will full with the EPS wings to make sure the EPO skywalker survive.(just for package materials)
BEVRC is offline Find More Posts by BEVRC
Old Jun 01, 2010, 10:19 AM
Any excuse to fly
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Apr 2008
544 Posts
I did the same thing with my wings Sander, I cuts slots in the wings with a Die grinder as the blade was the same thickness as my carbon( 1 mm).
I did a test spot but ended up cleaning it out with Brake cleaner and CA'd them in. The UHU Por made a mess and didn't stick too well.
LHTPlane is offline Find More Posts by LHTPlane
Old Jun 02, 2010, 01:07 AM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Ooo.

2010-06-01 18:57:00 BEIJING Posting
  2010-06-01 19:00:00 xiaoguanyingyunbu Despatch from Sorting Center
  2010-06-01 22:39:35 BEIJING Arrival at Sorting Center
  2010-06-01 22:48:17 BEIJING Despatch from Sorting Center

Took 9 minutes to 'sort' it! Nice work, postman! And.. posted at 19h00... and by 23h00... it was on it's way! I see from others that the next step is 'Arrived' local airport.
Old Jun 02, 2010, 01:26 AM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssassen View Post
Here's my solution to making sure the wing doesn't fold. This is something which I've successfully used on many builds in the past. I use 8x1mm CF strip, and cut slots in the wing, sand the CF and whipe any grease or dirt off with some alcohol and then insert the strip in the slots.

If you cut deep enough (no, not *through* the wing) you can still keep the dihedral as the wing is much thicker than the CF strip. Glue in place with thin CA (I use ZAP Thin CA) by dropping a few drops in and rocking the wing so the thin glue is evenly distributed (wipe off any excess with aceton).

Make sure you have some overlap with the wingspars, or you've just created a new breaking point. I used ~10cm (4 inches) of overlap which should be more than sufficient, this allowed me to use a single 1000mm length 8x1mm CF strip per wing (two 500mm lengths).

I hope the pictures illustrate things properly, if not, just ask!

Cheers,

Sander.
Sander, how's the wings going? Nice and stable?

Iw as thinking of grabbing some CF rods off HK, but they all come in 750mm lengths. Would 750mm be suitable for a wing then? So, running 2 x 750mm CF rods in the same areas as you did it?
Old Jun 02, 2010, 01:51 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,565 Posts
Although I haven't used the method Sander proposes on the Skywalker (I don't have that model yet) I've used it on other models and I can also recommend it. The strip can make the wing a lot more rigid then a rod.
Old Jun 02, 2010, 02:07 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Cralis,

I wouldn't use rods, strip is much stronger and lighter as well.

Cheers,

Sander.
Old Jun 02, 2010, 02:47 AM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Thanks guys - just wish I knew were I could locate the strips. Anywhere online?

Also, based on advise here - Hitec HS-65HB Mighty Feather Micro Servo ordered. I got 2. My wife would have killed me if I got 4.. so they will be the ailerons... HS55 on rudder.. and maybe elevator? Or else I have a spare HS81 for elevator?
Old Jun 02, 2010, 03:10 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,565 Posts
Hobbyking sells CF-sheets of various dimensions. I don't know how they can be cut but I guess it's doable. I bought my CF-strips at the local hobby store.

http://www.goodwinds.com
http://cgi.ebay.com/RC-Carbon-Fiber-...item3ca2ef117b