SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 14, 2011, 01:47 PM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,694 Posts
I haven't flown mine yet, but I have tested it in the house and here's how I set it up:

Rudder: Rx > RVOSD > Servo
Ailerons & Elevator: Rx > FY20 > Servos

This way if I use the autopilot or trip the RTH (like you said) the RVOSD will stear the nose home while the FY20 keeps the plane level. Also it allows me to use FY20 stabilization when flying normally (except for the rudder).

I was going to run the elevator through the RVOSD and then the FY20 but I was worried that when on RTH if the RVOSD was sending signals to the elevator it would cancel out the FY20 stabilization (sticks centered) and the thing would death spiral.

Let's both report back after 1st test flights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromitvt10 View Post
Adam,
How do you have your FY-20 and OSD set up? I've got a ET OSD Pro and want to use it for RTH functions. Right now i've got it set up like this:
RX(TLRS)--->OSD Pro--->FY-20--->servos
RX--->FY-20A--->Rudder Servo

Will that work so when i hit RTH the OSD will turn the plane and work the throttle using Ail/Elev/Throt and the FY-20 will keep it level? Thanks

Kyle
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2011, 02:22 PM
United States, MD, Solomons
Joined Feb 2002
1,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamChicago View Post
I haven't flown mine yet, but I have tested it in the house and here's how I set it up:

This way if I use the autopilot or trip the RTH (like you said) the RVOSD will stear the nose home while the FY20 keeps the plane level. Also it allows me to use FY20 stabilization when flying normally (except for the rudder).

I was going to run the elevator through the RVOSD and then the FY20 but I was worried that when on RTH if the RVOSD was sending signals to the elevator it would cancel out the FY20 stabilization (sticks centered) and the thing would death spiral.

Let's both report back after 1st test flights.
OK, sounds good. Hopefully we both still have airplanes after our first test flights
gromitvt10 is online now Find More Posts by gromitvt10
Old Feb 14, 2011, 09:59 PM
SLO Flyer
San Luis Obispo, CA
Joined Dec 2003
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iw28 View Post
Thank you all for the help!

But before purchasing the GWS S125 1T 2BB Sail Winch Servo or the Hyperion Atlas digitals, does anyone have any videos where they are using one of those servoes for FPV? (for pan)
iw,

Iím not sure if you wanted a video from the flight, or of the servo itself in operation, but here you go...

Skywalker FPV Pan Tilt With 360° Servo (1 min 8 sec)

Jaybee
Jaybee is offline Find More Posts by Jaybee
Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:05 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
iw,

Iím not sure if you wanted a video from the flight, or of the servo itself in operation, but here you go...

http://vimeo.com/19955089

Jaybee
how you prevented wires from tangle up?
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Feb 15, 2011, 01:54 AM
SLO Flyer
San Luis Obispo, CA
Joined Dec 2003
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
how you prevented wires from tangle up?
nakelp86,

I have video feed from the GoPro and control to the tilt servo combined in one shielded 4-conductor cable. The cable itself is routed through a hole drilled in the white GWS servo ďplatformĒ (ie: the sail winch pulley) close-ish to the axis of rotation to minimize the slack needed to keep things moving smoothly.

(I hope you can kinda make it out in the photo.)

Jaybee
Jaybee is offline Find More Posts by Jaybee
Old Feb 15, 2011, 06:08 AM
Denmark Copenhagen Hvidovre
Joined Nov 2009
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
iw,

http://vimeo.com/19955089

Jaybee
Thanks for the help! it seems to be a very good servo for panning! smooth and 360 degree!
awsome!
iw28 is offline Find More Posts by iw28
Old Feb 15, 2011, 09:41 AM
Joined Oct 2009
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talajouy View Post
Putting together the SkyWalker, it is version one.
I have the wing covered with a very thin white color tape, its thin and light same time protect foam surface very well.
Here is some pics of what I have done so far.
what type of cover do you use?
Mister_a is offline Find More Posts by Mister_a
Old Feb 15, 2011, 09:54 AM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,694 Posts
Very nicely crafted work on your SW.

Hey just a note, many here have moved there VTx to the wing tip with significant improvement in video quality...just wanted you to know before you buttoned your SW up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talajouy View Post
Putting together the SkyWalker, it is version one.
I have the wing covered with a very thin white color tape, its thin and light same time protect foam surface very well.
Here is some pics of what I have done so far.
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:15 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Aug 2007
856 Posts
Quote:
Very nicely crafted work on your SW.

Hey just a note, many here have moved there VTx to the wing tip with significant improvement in video quality...just wanted you to know before you buttoned your SW up.
That make sense, great advice.

Regarding to the removable wing, the only considerable issue will be a dis-attachable connector on the video TX cable, you know connectors are the most trouble makers.
I don't like extra connectors and eliminate them as much as I can, you see I have solder the extension cables directly to the servos that is what I will do on my video TX same time I will use shielded wire.

Connectors aside, your advice is the most welcome and I will try to make it as you said, I also believe that video TX antenna sit on wing tip much better too.

Do you have any advice on connector type? how did you do that?
Talajouy is offline Find More Posts by Talajouy
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:26 AM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Quote:

I too have the FY-20A and the ET OSDPro, but haven't flight tested the setup yet. As I understand it the FY20A should come after the OSD but should have all of the control surfaces going through it. In other words, if you're using the rudder to steer RTH then it should go RX-->OSD-->FY20-->servo. My concern with having the rudder not go to the FY20 is that, if the FY20 can't sense the rudder input (from the OSD) then it may try to countersteer with the ailerons to keep the plane level resulting in an uncoordinated attitude. I have the OSD steering the rudder and elevator, so for them I have: RX-->OSD-->FY20-->servo. For the ailerons I have RX-->FY20-->servo.

This way the FY20 can stabilize all surfaces and is able to see the input from all surfaces so it knows when not to stabilize.

ET recommends using the rudder for RTH but with the FY20 it may be better to go ahead and use the ailerons. I'll find out once we finally get flyable weather.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:00 AM
Joined Aug 2007
856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_a View Post
what type of cover do you use?
These tapes are the same as the one normally uses for packing, they come in many different colors and width, stick on foam well specially by using covering iron will stretch and stick very tight, tape gives extra strength to foam surface on tension as well.
As you see they are very thin and mostly (not for black or dark blue colors) transparent.

I am using this kind of tape on my home made foam planes for years and am really happy with them.
Here is some photo of my previous planes covered by this kind of tape and some photo of the tapes, you may find them on your local stationary shop.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:10 AM
Joined Aug 2007
856 Posts
One question
Some who has used Dragon Link on SkyWalker, Where and how did you install the DL receiver antenna?

Thanks
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:17 AM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts
On the tail, but get the long antenna so you can keep the DL rx inside the fuselage, unlike mine.

Cheers, Kev.
Kev.au is offline Find More Posts by Kev.au
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:30 AM
Joined Aug 2007
856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev.au View Post
On the tail, but get the long antenna so you can keep the DL rx inside the fuselage, unlike mine.

Cheers, Kev.
Thanks Kev, I can make my antenna cable and connectors, you can buy the SMA connectors and RG174 cables and probably do it in home as well, if you buy good quality RG174 or other type of coaxial cable (you should choose the compatible SMA connector regards to the the coax cable you choose) you are able to save a few dB on wire lose as well.

As I see you made the lower antenna sector (Ground probably) flexible, so it doesn't bother on landing, thats clever.

I will add a light weight landing gear on my plane cause I love taxi, takeoff and runway landing on FPV.

Cheers