HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 26, 2010, 11:50 PM
KJ6BFN
United States, CA, Fountain Valley
Joined Aug 2008
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy View Post
Hey guys, I have an EPO version on the way and am wondering if either of these 2 motors would work ok. The larger is a 1000kv and weighs 146gr w/prop adapter and the other is 750kv and weighs 78gr w/prop shaft/nuts. I have many different props and was thinking of this 9x5 3 blader. I know 3 blades aren't as efficient but I like to have the extra ooomph when needed and with a lower kv motor, it wouldn't hurt. I can run either 3s 4400mah, 4s 3000mah, or 4s 4400mah. I plan on having a full ET OSD, co-pilot, aileron gyros and some other stuff so I will probably be on the heavier side when done and haven't decided about flaps yet so I may save some weight without the flap servos.

Anyway, any thoughts on either of these motors?
My guess is that the TGY3542 will be to much. On 3s that motor will swing a 12" prop easily. On 4S probably a 10" 3 blade. Whatever the case, it may be to heavy.
Can't really tell what motor the smaller one is but it seems a little small for what you need done. I doubt if that motor can run on 4S without burning up and with a low kV of 750 you would need higher cell count. May be able to spin a small prop but that defeats the purpose.
henkvdw is offline Find More Posts by henkvdw
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 1400mm FMS T28
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2010, 01:31 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~>Miha<~ View Post
Folks, I have two EPO SkyWalker coming from BEV (one as spare) and now I have a serious problem.

When checking out all those Turnigy motors recommended here in this thread, I see that most, if not all, have many horrible ratings. It seems that Turnigy has a serious QM problem recently. Bearings, vibrations, burnings etc.

I think I will just purchase Lipos from them and go with another brand for the motor. Any suggestions? I need a motor with enough juice for about 4.4lb (2kg) of AUW and slow cruising speed and enough power to bring it back home if the wind goes nuts.

Thanks,
Miha
The SK series have all 5*, where do you see complaints ?
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old May 27, 2010, 01:56 AM
Joined Oct 2005
29 Posts
Hi folks,

I just got my skywalker EPO. But I'm wondering if it's EPS instead of EPO.
How to tell? The wing seems very brittle. I saw some pictures of EPO. Its wing can bend like a U-curve.
nick-lau is offline Find More Posts by nick-lau
Old May 27, 2010, 03:00 AM
South Australia
Joined Mar 2003
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick-lau View Post
Hi folks,

I just got my skywalker EPO. But I'm wondering if it's EPS instead of EPO.
How to tell? The wing seems very brittle. I saw some pictures of EPO. Its wing can bend like a U-curve.
Easy to tell. Fly it and if the wings snap then it was likely the EPS!

Seriously, you can tell by looking at the flaps. The EPS flaps are cut almost right out. The EPO has mostly solid flap hinge area. There is a picture of this a few pages back, have a look.
wilsonj is offline Find More Posts by wilsonj
Old May 27, 2010, 03:09 AM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
[QUOTE=w

Dunno why you bother J ............next thing they will want you to build it for them....
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old May 27, 2010, 03:13 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,620 Posts
@SOP
Thanks for a really informative post.
boopidoo is online now Find More Posts by boopidoo
Old May 27, 2010, 03:35 AM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
have sent you a PM...................
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old May 27, 2010, 05:51 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
The SK series have all 5*, where do you see complaints ?
Check out the reviews at the bottom of each page.
~>Miha<~ is offline Find More Posts by ~>Miha<~
Old May 27, 2010, 07:51 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonj View Post
First motor is too big.

The smaller one will probably be ok with the 3 blade prop on a 3S pack. You could also try it on a 4S pack and with a 9x6 2 blade.

Incidentally why would you want aileron gyros with a co-pilot? Or flaps for that matter ???
The co-pilot will be for orientation recovery situations if needed and to assist with rth. The gyro is only to help dampen wind effects when flying manually or with rth engaged. I know the co-pilot helps with wind but the gyro really smooths things out. I used a gyro on one elevon on my 60" Ritewing and it did wonders. The only reason i mentioned flaps is because they are apparently moulded into the wings and I see others are using them. I am sure they are useful but not sure I will need them.

Here is the smaller motor info;

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6247

I am using 3 of them on my tri-copter on 3s with 11x4.7 and they work great. It seems at least one person has reported using it on 4s with no issues. I will probably give this one a try with the 9x5 3 blade and see what kind of current vs power it produces. It will be easy enough to swap out if needed.
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old May 27, 2010, 08:47 AM
Egypt
Joined Apr 2010
36 Posts
i have bad news
they refused to let my plane go from customs
so i had to send it pack to china !
is any one coming to Egypt soon ??
he could get it legally.. they told me if it came with passenger it will pass normally..
any help ?!
ahmose is offline Find More Posts by ahmose
Old May 27, 2010, 08:57 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,620 Posts
What?! Is it illegal to import model planes to Egypt? I can't believe this is true, they're probably fishing for a bribe... ask to talk with their superior. I've done this some times when I thought the custom office didn't know what they were talking about. It has always worked.

BTW, if it's legal to bring in the plane as luggage it shouldn't be illegal to import and you shouldn't have to send it back.
boopidoo is online now Find More Posts by boopidoo
Old May 27, 2010, 11:07 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~>Miha<~ View Post
I think I go with the Scorpion SII-3014-1220 on 3s spinning APC 9x6.
I am flying the Hawkeye with 3s and APC 9x6 too, so I can keep number of different Lipos and props low.

I have 2200mAh and 5000mAh 3s already here. Will see what fits better into the SkyWalker belly. 1x5000 or 2x2200 or 3x2200.
Hmm, or with the Scorpion SII-3008-1220

Scorpion SII-3008-1220:
http://innov8tivedesigns.com/Scorpio...20%20Specs.htm

Scorpion SII-3014-1220:
http://innov8tivedesigns.com/Scorpio...20%20Specs.htm

Considering only 3s with APC 9x6E or APC 9x7.5E, which one would you choose?

For the 3014 I would need the Scorpion Commander 45A V2 ESC I guess, while with the 3008 the 35A would be enough, right?

On my Hawkeye I fly a Dualsky 40A V2 (XC4018BA) ESC and I am wondering if that would by good enough for the Skywalker-Scorpion3008/3014 as well.

M.
~>Miha<~ is offline Find More Posts by ~>Miha<~
Old May 27, 2010, 11:15 AM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2005
353 Posts
Either Scorpion will require additional motor mount as the spacing of the motor mounting holes will be too close to the edge of the supplied mount. I just cut a larger ply disc and stuck it to the one supplied.

I think a 2KG plane needs the 3014 even though others have said differently. I'm using it and am very happy with it on a 9x6 with 3s. It needs that power to climb well at that weight in my view. Agreed that the same motor on 4s may be overkill. I might try it on 4s with a 9x4.5 just to see though.

Regards

Fergus
Fergus is offline Find More Posts by Fergus
Old May 27, 2010, 12:58 PM
KJ6BFN
United States, CA, Fountain Valley
Joined Aug 2008
744 Posts
Miha
I'd go with Fergus' recommendation.
For 34g more you buy yourself flexibility.
Can run either on 3S or 4S and get more than 2000g of thrust.
If needed then this will almost allow you to go vertical immediately after launch.
If you are thinking running on 4S the 45A ESC is marginal but for 3S it would suffice. Probably use a 50A or 60A with 4S. Watch the weight too.
Don't have to use a Scorpion ESC. The TGY ESCs (HobbyWing) are very good, reliable and affordable.
henkvdw is offline Find More Posts by henkvdw
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 1400mm FMS T28
Old May 27, 2010, 03:22 PM
Egypt
Joined Apr 2010
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boopidoo View Post
What?! Is it illegal to import model planes to Egypt? I can't believe this is true, they're probably fishing for a bribe... ask to talk with their superior. I've done this some times when I thought the custom office didn't know what they were talking about. It has always worked.

BTW, if it's legal to bring in the plane as luggage it shouldn't be illegal to import and you shouldn't have to send it back.
its illegal to have any radio stuff.. and it had video transmitter and receiver with it.. that's why they stopped it
ahmose is offline Find More Posts by ahmose