HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 06, 2010, 03:38 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2005
353 Posts
I've started some work to strengthen the airframe.

First the internal cavity:

Layed up with fiberglass and WBPU

Ridge being cut for a carbon spar.

Regards

Fergus
Fergus is offline Find More Posts by Fergus
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2010, 04:28 PM
Smoke on , go !
Verona - Italy
Joined Jan 2007
2,527 Posts
I'm not going to touch the rigidity of the airframe, rigidity transmits motor vibrations to the camera and I don't need it for the low speed of this airplane, for me the less rigid the better for quality filming in HD
zaguruinzasky is offline Find More Posts by zaguruinzasky
Old Apr 06, 2010, 04:33 PM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Wow, you don't hang around. I'm sure that the cargo area has to be strengthened or else it will just smash to pieces on the first landing. I will probably build a liteply frame to go in there to give it some strength and put some 3M extreme tape on the outside.
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old Apr 06, 2010, 04:39 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2005
353 Posts
First word of warning. THROW AWAY the supplied glue. It eats the foam as it cures.

I tried it on a scrap piece and thought ya it's fine. Then as it cured it ate the foam. Only noticed after I had used it on the spar. No major damage thankfully.

Regards

Fergus.
Old Apr 06, 2010, 04:46 PM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Looks like you're the guinea pig for this build. Hope you get it finished before mine arrives
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old Apr 06, 2010, 05:36 PM
South Australia
Joined Mar 2003
195 Posts
Wow, this all sounds a little disapointing! And I have one on the way too. Now not that the glue eating foam is a big problem, but REALLY? Why even bother putting it in the kit? It doesn't instill a great deal of confidence.
wilsonj is offline Find More Posts by wilsonj
Old Apr 06, 2010, 08:40 PM
Senior Gravity Checker
Tampa, Florida
Joined Mar 2001
1,046 Posts
Would glassing the outside give you strength plus ding resistance?

What motor to use?

I was thinking to glass the outside....now I am thinking tape and solite covering.
kist2001 is offline Find More Posts by kist2001
Old Apr 06, 2010, 08:43 PM
I AP'd myself again......
Yawn....Iowa
Joined Mar 2005
2,500 Posts
So, instead of building to fly......we must build to crash.
aviatordave is offline Find More Posts by aviatordave
Old Apr 06, 2010, 11:30 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviatordave View Post
So, instead of building to fly......we must build to crash.
Absolutely. Full scale air and full scale fixed obstacles are hard on small scale fragile aircraft.

If this plane was made of almost anything but EPS foam (EPO, EPP, Elapor.. etc),
I'd be a lot more interested in it. Too bad.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 07, 2010, 02:01 AM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
Here is the actual page link for anyone that doesn't want to fiddle around trying to sift through the pages.

http://www.fpvhobby.com/24-168-cm-wi...-airplane.html

So heres the thing, I own a Twinstar 1 and I am pretty sure It is made up of the same stuff as this one is. Ya its your typical styrafoam, but I can tell you from experience that If you know how to land your plane, U dont need to worry about the stability of this foam. I have landed many hard landings on my TS1 & maybe a couple of nicks and scratches here and there is all I have noticed. Sure you can glass it or tape it to death, but im sure some simple reinforcements will keep this plane flying well for a long time.

I am not downplaying ELAPOR by any means, I wish every foam plane used it as a standard in the industry. What I am saying is - it shouldn't be a make it or break it for you. This plane has enough positive points to have it weigh in the other direction.

What I like about it...Look at that cargo room!! No easystar ever had that much space!! Unless of course U do major surgery like we all have. U can put a nice size prop on that for some serious thrust. Its got a nice flat area to mount servos, cameras, HD cameras, small farm animals, I mean just about anything you want.

I guess its just nice to see a plane for once thats made for FPV. Now if we could just get the Pricepoint down a little closer to the EZ*. $183.00 Shipped, geez!

Guess u cant have your cake and eat it too..
EyeFlyPlanes is offline Find More Posts by EyeFlyPlanes
Old Apr 07, 2010, 02:10 AM
Smoke on , go !
Verona - Italy
Joined Jan 2007
2,527 Posts
but is this airplane so fragile that needs to be reinforced or you guys are just protecting it in case of hard landing?
zaguruinzasky is offline Find More Posts by zaguruinzasky
Old Apr 07, 2010, 02:19 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,042 Posts
Fergus:
Do you plan to use the flaps too ? I have noticed there is a cutout on the side of the fuselage , maybe it is intended for a camera but it could give you an easy access to the cargo bay for the side.
How are you going to hinge ailerons and rudder elevator etc... from your pictures there doesn't seem to be any hinges .

Thanks for posting your building experience.
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Apr 07, 2010, 02:32 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
Joined Sep 2003
6,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaguruinzasky View Post
but is this airplane so fragile that needs to be reinforced or you guys are just protecting it in case of hard landing?
If the plane is made of everyday polystyrene then I would perhaps consider glassing the wings so they don't clap on me.
Sometimes the amount of gear we carry can be relatively heavy, this, combined with the poor perception we have on how we dive (depending on the lens of the camera) could produce enough Gs to over stress the airframe.
On some of my videos I have seen ow my Radian's tail stars to wobble on a fast descent...Maybe I was diving but to me it was a fast descent.
However I might consider glassing the underbelly of the plane for durability only

I think Fergus is going a great job and doing us a favour in sharing his experience, the glue being one hell of a warning. I will probably use foam friendly CA
Old Apr 07, 2010, 04:33 AM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2005
353 Posts
On the issue of reinforcing I'm just going by what I've seen on the Chinese forums. Recommendations there call for some form of reinforcement. The designer recommends it on the fuse and on the wings.

Any pics I've seen show the packs up front in the nose. That coupled with the recommended capacity of up to 5Ah batteries puts alot of stress on what is a much higher (less compact than EZ*) fuse and could cause it to snap.

I've chosen to glass the interior cavity and add a spar. I will also glass the underbelly and sides. Others may choose to do this differently but this is what I decided on.

I will be opening one of the two side doors for access to internal components.

The wings have flaps pre moulded although no cavity for servos is provided. I think I will use them. Glue hinge tape is provided but I think I'll just use some blenderm tape.

I have very little fixed wing experience and am just sharing my plans for the airframe. Others will do things differently and I encourage all to share their experience with the model.

Regards

Fergus.
Last edited by Fergus; Apr 07, 2010 at 04:52 AM.
Old Apr 07, 2010, 06:40 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
Joined Sep 2003
6,042 Posts
this is like the easystar case where everyone has his own recipe for success. whatever you are doing on this plane is great for me ! you are a path finder