HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2010, 11:11 PM
Joined Sep 2008
35 Posts
As far as I know, the man sold the EPS version is not from the skywalker, just a tester, u should ask why the shop sold the EPS version as an EPO version and why not choose a better supplier or get the EPO directly from the CEO.
Not an excuse, and never say poor quality even when u don't get an EPO skywalker,In China, the EPO version are used by lots of people and never encounter such a situation
Goldeneye is offline Find More Posts by Goldeneye
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2010, 12:08 AM
Norway
Joined Jul 2009
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeneye View Post
I've talked to the skywalker CEO, the crashed planes are not the new EPO version, first,the EPO version don't have flaps, second, looking at the broken cross-section, it's obviously not the EPO version.
So, just as CEO said, someone sold the EPS internal test version without his permission.
HI!

This is the EPO version! I have cut out the flaps myself. I have had a lot of EPO planes before, and this is the EPO version, 100% sure! I also thought it would handle a lot more than it did. But it still broke. If they had carbon all the wings lenght, it wouldnt be a problem I think.
FPVlarsen is offline Find More Posts by FPVlarsen
Old May 12, 2010, 12:24 AM
Joined Sep 2008
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVlarsen View Post
HI!

This is the EPO version! I have cut out the flaps myself. I have had a lot of EPO planes before, and this is the EPO version, 100% sure! I also thought it would handle a lot more than it did. But it still broke. If they had carbon all the wings lenght, it wouldnt be a problem I think.
So strange, I will ask CEO to have a look at this, beacause the EPO version canceled flaps.
Old May 12, 2010, 01:07 AM
Tianjin, China
Joined Jan 2008
2,495 Posts
WOW, this is such a crash, never saw any EPO skywalker's crash photo before. i think it could be caused by loosing rubber bands, i suggest you to double check them before next take off, some low quality rubber bands get old and fragile really quickly in hot or cold weather.
I have been flying skywalker EPO for months and for dozens of times. it's a great plane indeed. i have once dived from 1000m almost vertically and record the maxium deformation of the wing tip, it 's not likely to break easily.
check the pics
glassfox is online now Find More Posts by glassfox
Site Sponsor
Old May 12, 2010, 02:10 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
5,993 Posts
Can't wait to get mine now....
It will prove someone right or wrong !
The pictures from glassfox are promising yet FPVlarsen experiences disaster. Aaaargh....
A full review will be on it's way as soon as I get my hands on it. I like the concept And I think it will kick the pants of any of my Mutiplex planes. I hope I am right
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old May 12, 2010, 02:42 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeneye View Post
So strange, I will ask CEO to have a look at this, beacause the EPO version canceled flaps.
Well he just wrote that he cut out the flaps himself. That means that they were not pre-cut, he did the work himself. Just re-read his post.

@glassfox
It's hardly caused by rubber band failure. The wing was broken clean off were the cf-spar ended. It doesn't take a mechanical degree to understand that this point will be under a lot of stress. If it was a rubber band failure the wing would've come right off the fuselage floating to the ground not likely to break as it did.

@Cralis
Not everything said about this airframe is bad. On the contrary a lot of good things are presented. It's apparently a very nice flier (as long as it holds together). I think this model or derivatives of it will bring the FPV-hobby forward.
boopidoo is offline Find More Posts by boopidoo
Last edited by boopidoo; May 12, 2010 at 03:06 AM.
Old May 12, 2010, 03:18 AM
Joined Sep 2008
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boopidoo View Post
Well he just wrote that he cut out the flaps himself. That means that they were not pre-cut, he did the work himself. Just re-read his post.

@glassfox
It's hardly caused by rubber band failure. The wing was broken clean off were the cf-spar ended. It doesn't take a mechanical degree to understand that this point will be under a lot of stress. If it was a rubber band failure the wing would've come right off the fuselage floating to the ground not likely to break as it did.

@Cralis
Not everything said about this airframe is bad. On the contrary a lot of good things are presented. It's apparently a very nice flier (as long as it holds together). I think this model or derivatives of it will bring the FPV-hobby forward.
Thx for reminding me, sorry, I lost that word.
I fly a parkfun 1850 glider which is also EPO and also designed by skywalker CEO for about 1 year, crashed and broken serveral times beacause of losing RC control, but it's strange to find an EPO wing broken like that, we will see what happened.
Old May 12, 2010, 05:19 AM
South Australia
Joined Mar 2003
195 Posts
The wing breaks because it is a bad design. Not because of the material it is made of.
You can see the carbon spars line up almost perfectly with the start of the aileron, greatly reducing the material at that pint. Also the corners are all sharp, not curved, which doesn't help.
The wing might actually be stronger if the spars were shorter.

What it really needs is another thin carbon spar running between the existing spars and extending up towards the servo.
wilsonj is offline Find More Posts by wilsonj
Old May 12, 2010, 06:14 AM
USA, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2008
1,516 Posts
EPO=suck.
EPP-rules !
tushev is online now Find More Posts by tushev
Old May 12, 2010, 06:15 AM
jab
Unregistered User
Joined Aug 2007
1,055 Posts
Place some strips of fiber tape over and under the wings in parallel. Used that technique on a easy gilder and was amazed by how much stiffer and stronger the wings got. And hardly any extra weight.
jab is online now Find More Posts by jab
Old May 12, 2010, 08:01 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,568 Posts
Yup, agree with wilsonj. The way the spars are positioned is probably making the wings weaker. The design flaw of square windows on the early Caravelles come to mind. It's not only the spars that end at the same place, since the ailerons start right after the cross section area of the wing is a lot less along that same line. I think that the spars need to be either longer using some kind of bent cf-tubes (if available). Or something else to relieve this stress area. Maybe shorter main spars together with longer more flexible cf-rods/tubes going along the whole wing making wing flew possible.

The picture showing the flex of the EPO-wing is not a wing with CF-spars glued in. Try doing that with a wing that has the CF-spars and it will probably snap.
boopidoo is offline Find More Posts by boopidoo
Old May 12, 2010, 08:03 AM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,566 Posts
Possibly this design need time to mature.... I would be interested if the price point would come down a bit....
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old May 12, 2010, 11:14 AM
VALLE DEL KAS
Joined May 2010
13 Posts
somebody has manual of the Skywalker airplane
JCFPOLO is offline Find More Posts by JCFPOLO
Old May 12, 2010, 11:27 AM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2005
353 Posts
Quote: