HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2010, 09:09 PM
Brasil, PR, Curitiba
Joined Apr 2010
199 Posts
PanTilt GoPro DIY for Skywalker

Hi guys, just to help someone, i have made a GoPro Pantilt i plan to use on my skywalker. Get a look: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1311687

Regards

Guilherme
guipedroso is offline Find More Posts by guipedroso
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2010, 09:41 PM
First to go over 106K feet
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimaera View Post
Great idea Crist. I just ordered a couple of these. Would you detail how you did this.
It's easy. Once you determine the correct positon of the knob to give the desired signal, carefully remove the cover and measure the resistance on each side of the pot. Remove the pot and solder in some 1/4 watt resistors that closely match what you measured with your ohmeter.

Or even simpler yet is to turn the knob till you get the desired signal and tape the knob in position!

BTW, the servo tester needs 5v in on one set of terminals and the other 2 sets are where the servo hooks to. In our case where the servo extension connects to that is going to the signal input of the FT-20A stabilizer.
Crist Rigotti is offline Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Old Sep 22, 2010, 09:54 PM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,673 Posts
Need help with a new Skywalker power system (ESC & motor) that is Castle BEC Pro, 4S Lipo, and 9x6 prop for 5mm shaft friendly. Would prefer to use a compatible Castle ESC just to be safe.

My stock ESC and/or motor from FPVFlying.com is shot and I'm not sure if it's the glue that got into the motor or possibly the ESC isn't compatible with Castle BEC Pro, but the motor stutters after half throttle and both the ESC and motor get hot after only throttling up a couple times for seconds.

Because I'm using a BEC I pulled out the red/middle wire going from the BEC to the RangeVideo OSD and from the OSD to the Thomas Scherrer LR UHF RX so there shouldn't be any power overloading.
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Old Sep 23, 2010, 02:18 AM
A few Models is not enough Hon
Australia, WA, Noranda
Joined Mar 2007
173 Posts
Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamChicago View Post
Need help with a new Skywalker power system (ESC & motor) that is Castle BEC Pro, 4S Lipo, and 9x6 prop for 5mm shaft friendly. Would prefer to use a compatible Castle ESC just to be safe.

My stock ESC and/or motor from FPVFlying.com is shot and I'm not sure if it's the glue that got into the motor or possibly the ESC isn't compatible with Castle BEC Pro, but the motor stutters after half throttle and both the ESC and motor get hot after only throttling up a couple times for seconds.

Because I'm using a BEC I pulled out the red/middle wire going from the BEC to the RangeVideo OSD and from the OSD to the Thomas Scherrer LR UHF RX so there shouldn't be any power overloading.
Bit confusing. How about a diagram of the way you wired it up
GadgetEric is offline Find More Posts by GadgetEric
Old Sep 23, 2010, 09:01 AM
THEY MOSTLY COME OUT AT NIGHT
Kaysville, Utah
Joined Jul 2005
1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigotti View Post
It's easy. Once you determine the correct positon of the knob to give the desired signal, carefully remove the cover and measure the resistance on each side of the pot. Remove the pot and solder in some 1/4 watt resistors that closely match what you measured with your ohmeter.

Or even simpler yet is to turn the knob till you get the desired signal and tape the knob in position!

BTW, the servo tester needs 5v in on one set of terminals and the other 2 sets are where the servo hooks to. In our case where the servo extension connects to that is going to the signal input of the FT-20A stabilizer.

Thanks again Crist.
chimaera is offline Find More Posts by chimaera
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:07 AM
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetEric View Post
Bit confusing. How about a diagram of the way you wired it up
Thanks GadgetEric...here's the wiring diagram. Is there anything you see wrong regarding the BEC or something that would cause the ESC & motor to stutter with half throttle and get hot even after only throttling up for a few seconds?

Side Notes:
-The RangeVideo OSD "Power Manager" and the motor are 4S Lipo capable. The RangeVideo OSD and Camera are 3S capable.

-RangeVideo OSD doesn't have Servo-Outs for Flaps or Camera Pan so those are run directly from the RX.

-Center/Red wire is removed between RX and RangeVideo OSD and from RangeVideo OSD and ESC.
Last edited by AdamChicago; Sep 23, 2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:20 AM
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
Quote:
Thanks GadgetEric...here's the wiring diagram. Is there anything you see wrong regarding the BEC or something that would cause the ESC & motor to stutter with half throttle and get hot even after only throttling up for a few seconds?

Side Notes:
-The RangeVideo OSD "Power Manager" and the motor are 4S Lipo capable. The RangeVideo OSD and Camera are 3S capable.

-RangeVideo OSD doesn't have Servo-Outs for Flaps or Camera Pan so those are run directly from the RX.

-Center/Red wire is removed between RX and RangeVideo OSD and from RangeVideo OSD and ESC.
What happens when you connect the TSLRS receiver throttle directly to the ESC by-passing the OSD?
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:24 AM
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigotti View Post
What happens when you connect the TSLRS receiver throttle directly to the ESC by-passing the OSD?
Same result with the motor stutter, but am not sure about the ESC/Motor being hot.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:55 AM
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
Quote:
Same result with the motor stutter, but am not sure about the ESC/Motor being hot.
Do you have a ervo tester that you can hook up to the ESC?
Old Sep 23, 2010, 11:07 AM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
if you can hang in there a couple days I can give you a hand sunday
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:39 PM
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,673 Posts
Crist, I don't, but that sounds like a good purchase that I'll add onto my new motor order.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:41 PM
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,673 Posts
Ash, that would be awesome if you're still thinking of some Montrose or Northerly Island flying on Sunday. However, between the glue situation and now the motor stutter I am going to order a new motor today and then if that still doesn't do it, I'll by a new ESC locally afterwards. From all indications, my wiring scenario is ok...I think??
Old Sep 23, 2010, 02:40 PM
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,673 Posts
What do you guys think about this motor for Skywalker:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7073

Current Prop: 9x6
Current Battery: 4S 4500 Lipo
Flying a little on the heavy side
Old Sep 23, 2010, 02:51 PM
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
Quote:

My SW uses a Scorpion 3020-890kv and I'm using a 4S battery. I think 1400kv is way high for a 4S battery. Look for one that is close to 890 to 1000kv.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 03:16 PM
San Francisco
Joined May 2009
1,091 Posts
Quote:

I am using that same motor with a 3S and it works great. Not sure how it would work with a 4S
rsowder is online now Find More Posts by rsowder