Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 11, 2010, 12:55 PM
Norway
Joined Jul 2009
53 Posts
Skywalker EPO

Today I had my first flight with the Skywalker EPO.
It was a easy plane to build even with no manual.
There is a lot of space inside and good room for all the radio and FPV gear.

To get the plane in balance at the CG I had to put 2X4000mah 3S lipo packs + 1000mah for video. I use a bigger motor then recommended. So the plane is quite tail heavy. With all that battery I guess flight time would be around 1,5 hours.

The first flight i flew it non FPV just looked at the plane to see how it behaved. And I must say I am impressed! Even with a flightweight of 1950g it flies like a dream. Super stabile and can fly amazingly slow! Cruises and holds height at 5 amp! Handlaunch is no problem.

But.. To the negative part.
The second flight I flew it FPV. cruised around and everything looked good. Until it suddenly fell to the ground!
I got my videogoggles of and saw the plane going straight to the ground with no wings from about 50m! First I thought it was the spring that holds the wings that had come off, but when I finally got to the plane the wing had BROKE!
Snapped right off outside the carbon spars, just like on Fergus EPS model.
I thought the EPO version would hadle a lot more, but it couldent take the weight!

Amazingly the plane was only damaged 15cm from the nose ! Rest of the plane in perfect condition! Took me about an hour to glue it back together.

I have now modified the wings with four 5mm hollow carbon spares running all the wings lenght! Used a dremel to cut out. Hope that will do it!
Ill post some pictures of it.

I give a report how it behaves with the mods, when I get time!
FPVlarsen is offline Find More Posts by FPVlarsen
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2010, 01:20 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
5,996 Posts
I've got one on it's way to me... I am getting worried
rcmonster99 is online now Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old May 11, 2010, 01:50 PM
KJ6BFN
United States, CA, Fountain Valley
Joined Aug 2008
718 Posts
Sorry about the failure and resulting crash FPVlarsen.
Magnificent craftsmanship on the fix. Looks better than new.

Skywalker_CEO, hopefully you will address this obvious design shortfall.
It'd be useful to ask this forum for input on how to rectify and improve.
henkvdw is online now Find More Posts by henkvdw
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Priority Mail
Old May 11, 2010, 03:07 PM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
For a $150 airplane you guys are getting raped!!! God somebody do something!! This is wrong..

Another crash with the same exact issue!! STOP Production, before anymore gear is compromised.
EyeFlyPlanes is offline Find More Posts by EyeFlyPlanes
Old May 11, 2010, 03:18 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2005
353 Posts
I just placed an order for 4 meters of 5mm carbon tube!!

I really hoped the EPO version would have fixed this issue. Oh well. Thanks for the info FPVlarsen and sorry to read about the crash.

Regards

Fergus
Fergus is offline Find More Posts by Fergus
Old May 11, 2010, 03:36 PM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Where did you order your carbon tube from?
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old May 11, 2010, 03:46 PM
Norway
Joined Jul 2009
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegroove View Post
Where did you order your carbon tube from?
Did buy it from hobbycity.
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...4&v=&sortlist=
FPVlarsen is offline Find More Posts by FPVlarsen
Old May 11, 2010, 03:55 PM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
What was the postage like for that?
Old May 11, 2010, 03:55 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2005
353 Posts
I ordered from here:

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk...d.asp?id=22721

I would have prefered glass fiber rod because I don't like putting too much carbon in an FPV plane but I had no luck finding any.

Regards

Fergus
Old May 11, 2010, 04:08 PM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Do you get Poundland in Ireland? I've found that the 1 kites come with 2 very usable fibreglass rods that are about 75cm long. I bought a load of them for use in future FPV projects where I want to minimize the use of carbon fibre.
Old May 11, 2010, 05:41 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2005
353 Posts
No poundland over here but the 2euro discount shops might stock something similar. These places tend to have the same suppliers. I'll look into it. Thanks.

Regards

Fergus.
Old May 11, 2010, 10:34 PM
Joined Sep 2008
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVlarsen View Post
Today I had my first flight with the Skywalker EPO.
It was a easy plane to build even with no manual.
There is a lot of space inside and good room for all the radio and FPV gear.

To get the plane in balance at the CG I had to put 2X4000mah 3S lipo packs + 1000mah for video. I use a bigger motor then recommended. So the plane is quite tail heavy. With all that battery I guess flight time would be around 1,5 hours.

The first flight i flew it non FPV just looked at the plane to see how it behaved. And I must say I am impressed! Even with a flightweight of 1950g it flies like a dream. Super stabile and can fly amazingly slow! Cruises and holds height at 5 amp! Handlaunch is no problem.

But.. To the negative part.
The second flight I flew it FPV. cruised around and everything looked good. Until it suddenly fell to the ground!
I got my videogoggles of and saw the plane going straight to the ground with no wings from about 50m! First I thought it was the spring that holds the wings that had come off, but when I finally got to the plane the wing had BROKE!
Snapped right off outside the carbon spars, just like on Fergus EPS model.
I thought the EPO version would hadle a lot more, but it couldent take the weight!

Amazingly the plane was only damaged 15cm from the nose ! Rest of the plane in perfect condition! Took me about an hour to glue it back together.

I have now modified the wings with four 5mm hollow carbon spares running all the wings lenght! Used a dremel to cut out. Hope that will do it!
Ill post some pictures of it.

I give a report how it behaves with the mods, when I get time!
I've talked to the skywalker CEO, the crashed planes are not the new EPO version, first,the EPO version don't have flaps, second, looking at the broken cross-section, it's obviously not the EPO version.
So, just as CEO said, someone sold the EPS internal test version without his permission.
Goldeneye is offline Find More Posts by Goldeneye
Old May 11, 2010, 10:52 PM
Joined May 2008
1 Posts
"So, just as CEO said, someone sold the EPS internal test version without his permission."

Yes of course
debali is offline Find More Posts by debali
Old May 11, 2010, 10:55 PM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeneye View Post
I've talked to the skywalker CEO, the crashed planes are not the new EPO version, first,the EPO version don't have flaps, second, looking at the broken cross-section, it's obviously not the EPO version.
So, just as CEO said, someone sold the EPS internal test version without his permission.
The manufacturer of Skywalker has just shot itself in the foot.
How could you allow your people to sell defective items as the real thing?
Worse, it may be an excuse and a cover up for poor quality.

I'm glad I didn't buy into this.
In the RC world, quality and reputation is more important than making money.
The way China does it is pathetic.
etman is offline Find More Posts by etman
Old May 11, 2010, 11:07 PM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Yip... I think things have just gone from very very bad... to very much worse. It's actually becoming a bit soap oprah-ish now, and that's all that draws me to the thread. No way on Gods green earth, will I pay for one of these. Actually, I used to say, 'Mmm.. $99 would be OK...', but that has since gone. I'd maybe send $70 with postage... This 'CEO' fellow wants your money.. wants your ideas to improve his 'product'... wants to increase the price... and there's a few people still taking the bait! STILL no positive reviews... and loads of bust wings and unhappy people....

Hang tight, fellow FPV'ers. The concept.. the idea is fantastic. The execution is laughable. Someone who knows what're doing, and isn't greedy, will soon fill this gap. We just need to wait a bit. I'm sure the idea is being worked on somewhere... Multiplex maybe?!
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis