SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 11, 2010, 07:10 PM
KJ4WFG
United States, SC, York
Joined Dec 2007
566 Posts
[QUOTE=AdamChicago;16021525]Well I glued the skywalker motor to the EPO mount last night using Gorilla glue, woke up this morning to find the motor totally locked up.

I haven't started my SW build yet, but I expected that a plywood-type firewall with blind nuts would be glued to the foam, and that an X-mount type motor mount would screw to plywood. No direct gluing of the motor needed at all. What am I missing (?)
modbuilder is online now Find More Posts by modbuilder
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2010, 07:14 PM
KJ4WFG
United States, SC, York
Joined Dec 2007
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minklein View Post
Has anyone used one of the coverings such as Supercote or Ultracote to cover the airplane, especially the wings? It's light, looks good and adds strength. Also, has anyone considered a single wheel on the fuselage, like a glider?
Bump Minklein's question about a single wheel. I'm very likely to try that unless someone has found it be a bad idea.

Minklein -- PM sent to correspond about ideas on single wheel. Will post to SW forum when I have results, good or bad, but it'll be awhile.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 07:27 PM
USA, MA, Arlington
Joined Jun 2010
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamChicago View Post
I imagine I just need to cut a few centimeters behind the current mount surface to make a new mountable surface.
Bummer about the motor. Obviously, you have no choice except to dig the motor out. Then you want to apply a new mount, keeping the same angle. Use a mount that you can attach first, then attach the motor to it. Yes, you might be able to salvage the motor.

Regarding the sensors, as I understant it they are infra-red sensors that detect the difference in temperature between the air and the sky, and use that to determine the horizon. So clearly, as others have said, they have to have a clear line of sight to the horizon.
--Jim
BostonJim is offline Find More Posts by BostonJim
Old Sep 11, 2010, 07:43 PM
USA, MA, Arlington
Joined Jun 2010
117 Posts
[QUOTE=modbuilder;16023950]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamChicago View Post
I haven't started my SW build yet, but I expected that a plywood-type firewall with blind nuts would be glued to the foam, and that an X-mount type motor mount would screw to plywood. No direct gluing of the motor needed at all. What am I missing (?)
That sounds fine. If you are using blind nuts for the purpose of screwing in the motor mount, perhaps lube up some screws heavily and insert them so no glue gets in the threads. The problem a lot of poeple have is that the x-motor mount is too big for the plywood disk, so they have to figure out how to deal with that.
--Jim
Old Sep 11, 2010, 07:47 PM
USA, MA, Arlington
Joined Jun 2010
117 Posts
I see I messed up my quotes. The last message was directed to Modbuilder.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 07:49 PM
KJ4WFG
United States, SC, York
Joined Dec 2007
566 Posts
Good suggestion about how to keep the blind nuts clean, Jim -- Thanks. Sounds like the size problem is manageable. I've not read all of the forum threads (yet), but that size-of-the-motor-mount issue sounds one of the more minor considerations. Thanks............R
Old Sep 11, 2010, 08:46 PM
First to go over 106K feet
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,480 Posts
[QUOTE=BostonJim;16024156]
Quote:
Originally Posted by modbuilder View Post

That sounds fine. If you are using blind nuts for the purpose of screwing in the motor mount, perhaps lube up some screws heavily and insert them so no glue gets in the threads. The problem a lot of poeple have is that the x-motor mount is too big for the plywood disk, so they have to figure out how to deal with that.
--Jim
Easy. Sand the rear face of the motor mount area till it is flat. What you're doing is to get rid of the "inset" firewall. Then trace the outline on some 1/8 5 ply plywood. The set the X-mount on the firewall and locate the mounting holes for blind nuts. Drill and mount the blind nuts, glue firewall to the foam, and enjoy a great mount.

In reality, I trim off about 3/4 inch of the motor mmount area to move the motor forward some then make the plywood firewall to the shape as shown.
Crist Rigotti is offline Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Last edited by Crist Rigotti; Sep 11, 2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 09:04 PM
KJ4WFG
United States, SC, York
Joined Dec 2007
566 Posts
Most excellent. Great pics too. Thanks a bunch.................R
Old Sep 11, 2010, 09:10 PM
KJ4WFG
United States, SC, York
Joined Dec 2007
566 Posts
Quote:
... Also, has anyone considered a single wheel on the fuselage, like a glider?
Still hoping somebody will pick up on this ..............R
Old Sep 11, 2010, 09:30 PM
Fly Big, Low and Slow....
USA, VA, Wicomico
Joined Aug 2008
1,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeoff2 View Post
Is homemade, soon I'll make a movie, I glued the fuselage and is yet to dry.
You may want to range check with the flasher on, I built a flasher circuit with a few transistors and a cap and it sent out an RF spike every time the cap discharged.

I found out because my friend came and told me something was wrong with the TV turns out every time it discharged the cap the picture on the TV would go to static!

good luck...

-Anson
Alpina540 is offline Find More Posts by Alpina540
Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:09 PM
USA, MA, Arlington
Joined Jun 2010
117 Posts
Quote:
Also, has anyone considered a single wheel on the fuselage, like a glider?
I haven't seen anyone do this. The main issue, I think, is that the plane tends to be tail heavy, so if you do use a wheel, find a lightweight one.

How about making a skid out of steel wire?
--Jim
Old Sep 12, 2010, 01:31 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,124 Posts
The single wheel issue is not a problem, it depends on what you want to do:

-if you want to protect your plane's belly from the roughness of Tarmac or dirt track then this is a good Idea.

-if you want to protect the belly from landing on grass, loose gravel or sand, then the wheel serves no purpose and you would be better off taping the belly with duck tape or packaging tape..

-if you want to take off and land on wheels, then it is a no no , you will not be able to ROG on one wheel

if you decide to install the wheel then do it right under the CofG spot
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Sep 12, 2010, 02:18 AM
A few Models is not enough Hon
Australia, WA, Noranda
Joined Mar 2007
172 Posts
Singlr wheel

And if you want to use that last channel LOL

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...lider_style%29
GadgetEric is online now Find More Posts by GadgetEric
Old Sep 12, 2010, 02:49 AM
Romania
Joined Jan 2009
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina540 View Post
You may want to range check with the flasher on, I built a flasher circuit with a few transistors and a cap and it sent out an RF spike every time the cap discharged.

I found out because my friend came and told me something was wrong with the TV turns out every time it discharged the cap the picture on the TV would go to static!

good luck...

-Anson
Thank you for advice,if problems,I make it shine continuously.
takeoff2 is offline Find More Posts by takeoff2
Old Sep 12, 2010, 09:45 AM
Joined Mar 2010
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigotti View Post
Easy. Sand the rear face of the motor mount area till it is flat. What you're doing is to get rid of the "inset" firewall. Then trace the outline on some 1/8 5 ply plywood. The set the X-mount on the firewall and locate the mounting holes for blind nuts. Drill and mount the blind nuts, glue firewall to the foam, and enjoy a great mount.
Someone should sell these. I did something similar and it took forever and didn't look half as nice as yours, Crist.
VAMountains is offline Find More Posts by VAMountains