HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2010, 11:19 AM
My Karma ran over my Dogma
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Feb 2010
950 Posts
I agree with the last 2 comments. Without a motor or servos, this plane should be less than $100. The price is the reason I have NOT bought this plane yet.
fireslayer26 is offline Find More Posts by fireslayer26
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2010, 12:21 PM
I AP'd myself again......
Yawn....Iowa
Joined Mar 2005
2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tconners View Post
"I will give you a secret, They are thinking to BRING UP THE PRICE"

Well I will give you a secret you just LOST my interest all together now as well as three of my buddy’s!

Someone is getting greedy! It a foam bare airframe i mean come on man!

The box has to cost more than the materials to create the plane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireslayer26 View Post
I agree with the last 2 comments. Without a motor or servos, this plane should be less than $100. The price is the reason I have NOT bought this plane yet.
Kicking a dead horse..........same reason here. I cannot justify the price.
aviatordave is offline Find More Posts by aviatordave
Old May 07, 2010, 12:27 PM
France
Joined Sep 2009
80 Posts
Quote:
+1
50$ would be a good price =))
fjnetcom is offline Find More Posts by fjnetcom
Old May 07, 2010, 12:56 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2005
353 Posts
CEO,

Great to see you joining the forum.

Some constructive comments for you after now building two Skywalker kits.

Could you replace the metal bolts which hold the horizontal tail plane with nylon bolts. This will provide a 'weak' point which will allow the tail plane to break away in a crash without tearing the foam.

Secondly the metal bolt which secures the canopy is directly above the flight pack. In a crash the lipo will be driven up into the bolt which would likely destroy the pack. Again a nylon sacrificial bolt may be a better option.

Thirdly a hatch should be added to the bottom of the vertical tail section. This could be used to access the end of the two tail section servo extension leads. This will facilitate easy replacement of an elevator or rudder servo without having to break open the fuselage.

Lastly the forces which caused the wing to snap will also cause perhaps even more flex on the EPO version as it is not as rigid. This will undoubtably cause an aileron to lock up and result in a crash. The spars provided are currently ending where the dihedral in the wing begins. Additional rigidity is required beyond this point. Perhaps an angled bracket at the termination of the existing spars would allow a shorter apar to be used to extend the overall length and increase the overall rigidity of the wing and reduce flex.

None of these changes would require an adjustment of the existing mould per say. Just extra cutting of slots after the moulding is complete.

The other issue which I have seen is the sudden nose up attitude adopted when turning into wind. As stated earlier I will examine this further with my friends EPS model but would be interested in any thoughts you might have about it.

Regards

Fergus
Fergus is offline Find More Posts by Fergus
Old May 07, 2010, 01:08 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2005
353 Posts
I forgot one point.

The existing spar running the length of the tail section terminates at the rear of the fuselage cavity. On both models I have added a smaller diameter solid carbon rod below this all the way to the nose. This is pictured earlier in the thread.

I have no doubt this helped keep the front section of the plane intact during two crashes. Perhaps this is something you could consider adding. Again it means cutting an extra channel but would not require a change to the mould design.

Regards

Fergus.
Old May 07, 2010, 02:52 PM
My Karma ran over my Dogma
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Feb 2010
950 Posts
I think I'll be ordering this plane. Its strong and less than a third the price.

I'd still love to have the EPO Skywalker, but not at its current price. I would buy it if the price gets down below $75. I hope the CEO is reading all these posts and takes it to heart.
fireslayer26 is offline Find More Posts by fireslayer26
Old May 07, 2010, 03:20 PM
Any excuse to fly
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Apr 2008
546 Posts
I think alot of the price may also depend on how many are built, Build half a dozen and the price will be a whole lot more than building a 1000. It's also easy to say it just cheap foam but anyone that has been involved in producing anything will know there's a lot more cost than meets the eye.Saying that I think if it's in the sub hundred dollar range it would sell like crazy.
It's also funny to think folks will put a grand worth of electronics together then want a 50 cent plane to fly them around...lol.
LHTPlane is offline Find More Posts by LHTPlane
Old May 07, 2010, 03:22 PM
South Australia
Joined Mar 2003
195 Posts
I'd just like my plane replaced, like Fergus and zaguruinzasky. I'm struggling to understand why some get replaced and others don't. Hello Adnan, CEO ?
wilsonj is offline Find More Posts by wilsonj
Old May 07, 2010, 05:02 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2005
353 Posts

Well the weather was dead calm before sunset so I took out my friends EPS Skywalker for its maiden flight.

Things went much better this time. I didn't push it. Just did 15minutes of gentle circuits and climbs. I did not see a repeat of the unusual pitch up movement evident on the first model. I was using the same elevator servo and horizontal tail plane (It survived the crash on the previous model).

I have checked some of the numbers so others may benefit.

AUW 1370grams

The all up weight this time around was almost 500grams lighter than the previous model.

Centre of Gravity is putting me slightly nose heavy at 76mm from leading edge.

This plane really is designed with a camera up front in mind! I had to use a 3s 5450mAh pack way up in the nose AND then add a 1000mAh 2s rx pack with a regulator to get the plane to balance (That's 438grams of battery). Flight times will be massive for those who chose lightweight minimal FPV gear. I am using a bigger than suggested motor though.

The lack of wind and lighter auw definitely made the plane behave better. I am still baffled by the nose pitching up on the old model though.

I put the Gopro on the peak of my cap so I got some video of it in action. Unfortunately the plane was out of shot for most of the flight but I have edited 3minutes of video with a nice slow low pass included. I will upload it shortly (If my broadband behaves. My last attempts have not worked so well).

My first impressions of this model were good. I am cautious of not praising it prematurely but after this evenings flights I am alot more confident with the model. I will continue to fly this model in the coming days slowly pushing the boundaries. I am really looking forward to trying the EPO version.

Video to follow if I can get it to upload

Regards

Fergus
Old May 07, 2010, 05:05 PM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Quote:
Yip, and the fact that there are no positive reviews on these groups by our builders. Maybe a few reviews from other sites.. but we're yet to get a good review from a trusted objective reviewer. I'm lucky in that I don't need a plane right now. So, there is no way I'll buy, until the price goes less than $99. Out of interest - is there price fixing going on? A shop sold it initially for $99. But as I was about to buy, it went to $135. I asked the shop owner what happened, and they said that the manufacturer was not happy about them selling for $99.... Which sounds dodgy...
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old May 07, 2010, 08:00 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2005
353 Posts
Here is an extract from the maiden flight.

EPS Skywalker Maiden (3 min 3 sec)

Regards

Fergus
Old May 07, 2010, 09:33 PM
Senior Gravity Checker
Tampa, Florida
Joined Mar 2001
1,045 Posts
Guys. I bet that the molds for this plane cost thousands of dollars to produce. Everyone wants one for the price of a Multiplex plane but they have the economy of scale. Also shipping from China is not cheap. Add to teh fact that you have a guy in Turkey essentially doing nothing but doubling the price by shipping each individual plane from the producer. If someone was to import a few hundred at a time I am sure the price would be more reasonable.

I guess Sanders OSD costs $40 in parts. Is everyone demanding for a cheap Ez-OSD. No because Sander needs to be reimbursed for assembly, programming, shipping and R and D costs. No difference with this model.

-Ken
kist2001 is offline Find More Posts by kist2001
Old May 07, 2010, 10:10 PM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
I agree, Ken...

But... Looks at DragonOSD+'s plan.. They sold loads at $99. People went bezerk buying them and they sold their 'cheap' pack very quick. Now they're still at a reasonable price... ($130) and selling.

Skywalker did the opposite. Sold an inferior product to start with, at a high price, and now want to raise the price even more - and they're yet to have a happy customer.

Also, the unit price drops as the volume increases - fair enough, but that's not our problem. We buy, or we don't. It's the seller/manufacturers problem if they can't make a unit sellable. They need to put their backing behind it, and order a large volume to sell at a better price. Instead, they're putting the burden on their plane not being a success on us. We lose in every way. Pay a lot for a plane that might not even fly (on the market), and if it doesn't, we're left with a plane that we can't get spares for. If they're confident in their product, they should order more volume and drop the price.
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old May 08, 2010, 01:58 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,007 Posts
consider the EPO version cost 550yuan (80$) in China.
this is an OK price to me but the problem is buying it from China.

They dont take credit cards or Paypal and you need agents to deal with the person that sells it a this price (I guess this is not the factory outlet).

China is not exactly close by so you have to consider the shipping an distribution cost(consider the rising price of fuel).

I guess if you want to earn a little money and offer the kind of service Adnan does then it all adds up.

Hey Fergus : what a lovely place you fly from. Make sure you post some videos when you get your new plane in the air. just watching your test flight gave me a feeling of tranquility
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Last edited by rcmonster99; May 08, 2010 at 02:07 AM.
Old May 08, 2010, 03:26 AM
USA, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2008
1,517 Posts
Fergus, I am not sure about this plane but I love Ireland
tushev is offline Find More Posts by tushev