HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:17 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Hi guys, 2 quick questions regarding my V6:

1) How do I figure out where the best position is to mount the landing gear?

2) What is the CG for the V6?

Thanks guys
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:15 PM
Koo
A semi-advanced FPV newbie
United States, OH, Oxford
Joined Mar 2012
1,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamjames View Post

2) What is the CG for the V6?

Thanks guys
You might not even need landing gear. I have no trouble hand launching the plane myself while using a 4s 5000mah hardcase and FPV equipment. If you are planning to stuff her, yes, landing gear is a smart idea. I don't know where to put it though :S

And the CG is where the servo extensions come on the wings. Someone correct me if I'm wrong
Koo is offline Find More Posts by Koo
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:30 PM
Beyond the BlackStump
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Mar 2006
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by koo29 View Post
You might not even need landing gear. I have no trouble hand launching the plane myself while using a 4s 5000mah hardcase and FPV equipment. If you are planning to stuff her, yes, landing gear is a smart idea. I don't know where to put it though :S

And the CG is where the servo extensions come on the wings. Someone correct me if I'm wrong
CG is about 30mm behind servo wire
Macattaka is offline Find More Posts by Macattaka
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:49 AM
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
4,237 Posts
30-35 behind the servo wires.
Also, another way you can line things up is use some toothpicks, you know the round sharp ones that are sharp on both ends, and when you dry fit the fuselage together, use them in a few places that aren't in the way, and push them through. Some spots in the vertical stab for example, and shorter versions that you stick in beforehand in the front. Kind of like CG said, like pins almost. You space a few around, it will punch holes into the other half that will give you a reference. The shorter ones can be left in glued as they won't hurt anything, and the ones that you stick through like in the tail, you can pull out after you get it lined up. This will help you line it up the same as you dry fitted it.
Hope that makes sense, with one half on the table, push say a 1" long toothpick about 1/2" into a spot that will be glued to the other side, then when you push the halves together, it will push a hole in the other half and now give you a hole to line up with that same toothpick when you glue it together.
Shadrack is offline Find More Posts by Shadrack
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:13 AM
Athens
Joined Oct 2009
619 Posts
Quote:

A few posts back, showing Landing Gear stuff:
glassdogangle
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=14376

Phelec
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=14383
dk31 is offline Find More Posts by dk31
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:26 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
11,404 Posts
Shadrack, the toothpick trick for alignment is great ! I use them to hold foam parts together while the glue sets, sometimes leaves them in.
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:02 PM
Athens
Joined Oct 2009
619 Posts
I finally glued the two halves: I beginned from the tail and used a roll of tape in the battery compartment to keep the nose apart. As I was progreesing forward, I also moved the roll forward.
All went well. Alignment is not 100% perfect, but pretty good. I hanged the glued fuse from the ceiling for a day while the glue is setting, as a friend suggested to do in order to help the tail stay straight.
I think tommorow will be the last day of building as most things left to do are non time consuming.

Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:07 PM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,558 Posts
I never thought about hanging it during the glue up phase. Let us know how it works!

-Mike
Stone1295 is offline Find More Posts by Stone1295
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:32 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
11,404 Posts
Looking at the grey fuse, for a moment I tought you had the glass version I was telling to myself " oh no how did we suggest gluing it "
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:04 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Thanks to everyone that helped regarding advice for the CG and landing gear.

So I've been looking for a ready made landing gear strut and I can't seem to find one. Anyone know a good one from HK that you guys would recommend?

Would these work? ...if yes, what would I use to attach the wheels onto the struts?
Last edited by williamjames; Feb 02, 2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:09 PM
Athens
Joined Oct 2009
619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
Looking at the grey fuse, for a moment I tought you had the glass version I was telling to myself " oh no how did we suggest gluing it "
LOL
I just painted it light gray to have a "military" look. Also I put some black strips here and there, and black wing tips. Basically, I ve stolen the paint scheme from some photo from the "show us your plane" FPV thread. I wish I had keep the owners name for giving credit, but I didn't - had saved many pictures and long before I bought the SW...
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:26 PM
Athens
Joined Oct 2009
619 Posts
Quote:
Thanks to everyone that helped regarding advice for the CG and landing gear.

So I've been looking for a ready made landing gear strut and I can't seem to find one. Anyone know a good one from HK that you guys would recommend?
I took these for the SW and they are pretty good and cheap too:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=4952

Eventually, I decided that i will put no landing gear, and put the struts on my FunCub that suffered of flexy wire struts for so long.
I ditched the blue plastic cover and painted the struts with a mat black spray: the look much cooler.
If you decide to go for them, consider also including in the order
-Steel Axles D4 x L57 mm (ID:OR016-02201x5) - they ll need some chopping
-Nylon Screws - Diam:4 x Length:34mm (ID:09-00101x10) - I used 4 of them
-4mm blind nuts
-some light and thin wheels (I took these:http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9890 , but I cannot recommend them as I didn't use them)
Last edited by dk31; Feb 03, 2013 at 02:30 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:22 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk31 View Post
I took these for the SW and they are pretty good and cheap too:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...890&aff=201315

Eventually, I decided that i will put no landing gear, and put the struts on my FunCub that suffered of flexy wire struts for so long.
I ditched the blue plastic cover and painted the struts with a mat black spray: the look much cooler.
If you decide to go for them, consider also including in the order
-Steel Axles D4 x L57 mm (ID:OR016-02201x5) - they ll need some chopping
-Nylon Screws - Diam:4 x Length:34mm (ID:09-00101x10) - I used 4 of them
-4mm blind nuts
-some light and thin wheels (I took these:http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9890 , but I cannot recommend them as I didn't use them)
hey dk31,

much thanks for the input. Just a quick note, the first link and the last link are showing up as the same when I click on them. Can you please re-attach the link to the strut/landing gear you are using?
Cheers!
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:29 AM
Athens
Joined Oct 2009
619 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=4952
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:16 AM
United Kingdom, Bradford-on-Avon
Joined Jan 2011
38 Posts

hi I am just starting a V6 Skywalker I'm using a 5.8 fatshark system .
I would like some advice please Im using the ImmersionRC Circularly Polarized SpiroNet antennas i'd like to put the Immersion tx on the tail platform is this the best place for a 5.8 system ?
many thanks
storm42 is offline Find More Posts by storm42