SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:33 PM
Registered User
Daemon's Avatar
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,468 Posts
Order of 3 wires matters only for direction of motor. There's no "wrong" way to hook
them up. ESC is unlikely to cause heating of the motor unless timing was
severely wrong, but you'd hear that in the motor. Note that a static bench test
of a pusher prop may not provide adequate cooling but still unlikely that the motor would heat up
as much as you say unless there's something wrong with the motor itself.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:13 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
subsonic's Avatar
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fade2Gray View Post
Yes, l can comfirm the batteries are wired in parallel as l tested this with my multimeter.
Prop is on the correct way - Perhaps l could take the prop off the spin up the motor to see if the heat problem still exists, l suspect it will.
Motor is not rubbing onto anything as it turns freely
l have tried 2 ESC's 1st ESC was 40AMP which l thought this was causing the issue in which l then upgraded to a brand new 60AMP ESC and the problem still exists henc emy post on this forum as l am out of ideas and are very worried.

Could it be a case of the 3 wires be hooked up the wrong way? I suspect not but worth suggesting..
If you've changed the ESC and are confident in the input voltage, it is possible that you have a dud motor. It's very easy to miss wire a motor in the factory so that it's KV is much higher than it should be, so it pulls much more current than you expect. Also, If the motor has been abused (overheated) in the past, it's possible that the magnets will have lost some of their strength, and the KV will climb, making subsequent runs on "on spec" props draw too much current also. This causes further damage and the KV rises again. At some point the motor will pop a winding.

You should have a meter to be able to measure the current draw, but I suspect it's a dud. No problem, they are cheap and I've had great service out of mine, aside from a noisy bearing that has been that way for the last 10 hours of airtime. At some point I'll replace it

Sub.
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:31 PM
Registered User
Australia, VIC, Brighton
Joined Aug 2007
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
If you've changed the ESC and are confident in the input voltage, it is possible that you have a dud motor. It's very easy to miss wire a motor in the factory so that it's KV is much higher than it should be, so it pulls much more current than you expect. Also, If the motor has been abused (overheated) in the past, it's possible that the magnets will have lost some of their strength, and the KV will climb, making subsequent runs on "on spec" props draw too much current also. This causes further damage and the KV rises again. At some point the motor will pop a winding.

You should have a meter to be able to measure the current draw, but I suspect it's a dud. No problem, they are cheap and I've had great service out of mine, aside from a noisy bearing that has been that way for the last 10 hours of airtime. At some point I'll replace it

Sub.
A dud motor, doesn't sound good as l bought this motor brand new which it has never been used. I'm a bit reluctant to purchase the exact same motor again (once bitten, twice....).
Is there another motor that you could recommned with my ESC and prop configuration, hopefully the Aussie hobby king will have it in stock. This is not my preffered option but at this stage l don't have many other options.
Fade2Gray is offline Find More Posts by Fade2Gray
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:52 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
subsonic's Avatar
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fade2Gray View Post
A dud motor, doesn't sound good as l bought this motor brand new which it has never been used. I'm a bit reluctant to purchase the exact same motor again (once bitten, twice....).
Is there another motor that you could recommned with my ESC and prop configuration, hopefully the Aussie hobby king will have it in stock. This is not my preffered option but at this stage l don't have many other options.
Have you seen this thread? http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1494373

With your battery / prop you will be limited to motors around that size / kV, so your options are limited if you want to use HK. I see your original motor (and mine) is in stock in AU and pretty cheap too. Based on my (good) experience, I'd recommend just getting a replacement of the same. You already have the adapters etc and it will go right in an be on your doorstep in a few days...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:00 PM
Romans 8:34-39
bhoov128's Avatar
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fade2Gray View Post
A dud motor, doesn't sound good as l bought this motor brand new which it has never been used. I'm a bit reluctant to purchase the exact same motor again (once bitten, twice....).
Is there another motor that you could recommned with my ESC and prop configuration, hopefully the Aussie hobby king will have it in stock. This is not my preffered option but at this stage l don't have many other options.
I haven't seen very many threads on here or any comments on HK website regarding dud motors. I think you got bit by a tiny statistic Personally I'd order up another one and call HK to see if they'll make any sort of concession on price or anything for you. Can't hurt to try.
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:22 AM
Registered User
Maldives, Malé
Joined Nov 2012
14 Posts
Skywalker build thread

guys,

i have started building my own sky walker i just want to share some of my work with you guys will be happy if you could give me gud ideas to improve my build

specs
1880mm wing
1160mm length
turnigy 3536 1400 kv
turnigy metal gear servo
turnigy 40amp ESC
lipo 2200 20c

materials used
2" pink core
2 part epoxy 30 mnts
CA glue
carbon fiber rods and fiber rods
g4ce is offline Find More Posts by g4ce
Last edited by g4ce; Jan 09, 2013 at 12:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:55 AM
Registered User
Maldives, Malé
Joined Nov 2012
14 Posts
Skywalker build thread

hi guys


i have uploaded my recent building photos of my sky-walker almost done need to install the electronics will upload the pics later

thank you
akram
g4ce is offline Find More Posts by g4ce
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2013, 05:00 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Since I only see two stored in the photos, worth mentioning that you should
be sure to use all four rubber bands in at *least* a crossed configuration
when you attach the wing.
2 on each side to stop me loosing them
mawright89 is offline Find More Posts by mawright89
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:52 AM
Registered User
Maldives, Malé
Joined Nov 2012
14 Posts
Thank you a lot for the suggestion will upload the veils when doing the maidenflight hope to get more help from guys like you in future will will begreatway to increase my skill in this hobby
Thank you
g4ce is offline Find More Posts by g4ce
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:37 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2012
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fade2Gray View Post
Hi Everyone,

I was wanting to get some advice please with a motor heating related issue. My motor is getting extremely hot after running it for a minute at half throttle. The motor is so hot you would burn your finger by touching it.

I wanted to ask if anyone else has/is experiencing this problem with this particular motor? i.e. is this normal, do l have a major issue, is my setup wrong?

My specs are as follows;

Motor:NTM Prop Drive Series 35-36A 1400Kv / 550W
Prop: APC Style Propeller 9x6
ESC: TURNIGY Plush 60amp Speed Controller
Battery: 2x 3S (2200mah) connected in parallel

Thanks in advance.
I have same motor with 60 amp esc using 3 cell 5000 and it has never over heated . Sounds like You may have a bad motor. Probably have over 10 hours on mine to.Using 9x6 prop to.
mikenc is offline Find More Posts by mikenc
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:04 PM
Waypoint Collector
TNug's Avatar
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Feb 2012
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fade2Gray View Post
Hi Everyone,

I was wanting to get some advice please with a motor heating related issue. My motor is getting extremely hot after running it for a minute at half throttle. The motor is so hot you would burn your finger by touching it.

I wanted to ask if anyone else has/is experiencing this problem with this particular motor? i.e. is this normal, do l have a major issue, is my setup wrong?

My specs are as follows;

Motor:NTM Prop Drive Series 35-36A 1400Kv / 550W
Prop: APC Style Propeller 9x6
ESC: TURNIGY Plush 60amp Speed Controller
Battery: 2x 3S (2200mah) connected in parallel

Thanks in advance.
You have a pretty popular/typical setup for the SW. You might want to cut open the connector shrinkwrap and see if you have a bad/broken solder joint. I'm not sure that would heat the motor. I have seen them heat up the connector and melt the solder. Also, check the wire insulation where they enter the motor. Sometimes a sharp edge can cut the insulation and short out the lead. Again, I'm not sure it would cause what you're describing, but it may be worth checking if you're going to scrap the motor anyway.
TNug is offline Find More Posts by TNug
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:10 PM
Waypoint Collector
TNug's Avatar
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Feb 2012
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by g4ce View Post
guys,

i have started building my own sky walker i just want to share some of my work with you guys will be happy if you could give me gud ideas to improve my build

specs
1880mm wing
1160mm length
turnigy 3536 1400 kv
turnigy metal gear servo
turnigy 40amp ESC
lipo 2200 20c

materials used
2" pink core
2 part epoxy 30 mnts
CA glue
carbon fiber rods and fiber rods
g4ce,
Now I see why my phone couldn't open this page! Did you accidentally upload your entire album?

Nice build by the way. I wouldn't mind seeing more about your wing joining & mounting method. That may be interesting/applicable to those building standard SWs.
TNug is offline Find More Posts by TNug
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:39 PM
Registered User
Shadrack's Avatar
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,757 Posts
You have a few planes in there don't you g4ce?
Shadrack is online now Find More Posts by Shadrack
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:24 PM
Waypoint Collector
TNug's Avatar
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Feb 2012
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk31 View Post
Thanks - I have read many of your posts (and bookmarked some). Do you think that a CF rod and 4 pin hinges wouldn't make it rigid enough? I have plenty of balsa stock, but I am not comfortable(yet) in shaping a nice&straight elevator.
I picked up a stick of balsa aileron from the LHS for a few bucks for a build that never happened. It just happened to fit the SW horizontal stab perfectly. The balsa "aileron" stock is the same thickness (3/8") and width (1-1/2") as the SW elevator. The balsa trailing edge is thinner. It is much stiffer than the foam.
TNug is offline Find More Posts by TNug
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:45 PM
Registered User
Maldives, Malé
Joined Nov 2012
14 Posts
Thank you, yea I accidentally uploaded the whole album I will upload the wing joining method later some time have a look I will post all the pics
g4ce is offline Find More Posts by g4ce
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Best plane for FPV while on vacation? patricklupo FPV Aircraft 23 Aug 08, 2010 06:27 AM
Cool FPV plane rescue with an FPV truck :-) AnthonyRC FPV Aircraft 17 Feb 24, 2008 10:45 PM
For Sale Skywalker plane and a bunch of extras moody07747 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 8 Sep 19, 2006 09:34 PM
Discussion Aviator Skywalker RC plane given to me moody07747 Electric Plane Talk 46 Sep 12, 2006 11:45 AM