SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 03, 2010, 04:09 AM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2005
353 Posts
Quote:
Wow that looks so good, its very nice and clean !!!
The GoPro Hd can you tell me which pin is + and - on the mini USB and if you power your cam from the main battery or if you have a separate battery just for the video tx and the cam.
Thanks,
Rob
Thanks Rob

The gopro needs 5volts. Anything more will fry it!! I am running an 8amp bec with two 5volt outputs. One is powering the receiver with the second is running to the gopro. The mini USB was cut about three inches from the connector. There are four wires. Red and black are + and-. The green and white are isolated from each other with heatshrink. I used a regular servo extension with a ferrite ring to connect to the BEC output (signal wire on servo extension is heatshrinked as well).

I have a seperate 12volts going to the av tx. I am still reading up on ground loops and wonder if I will have an issue with two power sources on the video end. It works fine on the bench but I have yet to range check it.

Anyone running a 5volt camera with a 12volt tx? Anything I need to do to ensure clean signal?

Regards

Fergus
Fergus is offline Find More Posts by Fergus
Last edited by Fergus; May 03, 2010 at 04:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2010, 07:30 AM
V
USA
Joined Mar 2009
392 Posts
Thanks for the reply Fergus !!!
My mini USB that I use is from a phone charger and it doesn't have any color wires it has only 2 wires in the shielded tubing . So I'm still trying to figure it out which one is + and -.
Tim from readymaderc.com his running the gopro from the video tx and he suggested to use the turnigy 3A BEC he has them listed on this webiste.
Thanks,
Rob
V is offline Find More Posts by V
Old May 03, 2010, 07:54 AM
Any excuse to fly
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Apr 2008
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
Can you compare the quality of the foam to another plane? Seem OK now?
It feels very much like the Multiplex foam, the outside of it feel a little smoother and almost has a shine to it. I'm very impressed with it.
LHTPlane is offline Find More Posts by LHTPlane
Old May 04, 2010, 08:58 AM
Egypt
Joined Apr 2010
36 Posts
I ordered mine from Adnan today ! i hope it will be here Soon
ahmose is offline Find More Posts by ahmose
Old May 04, 2010, 02:09 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2005
353 Posts

I had a successful maiden with the Skywalker today. The wind was 5mph gusting to 12mph. The plane handled it well. AUW is 1880g with the Gopro and case. The plane loiters nicely into wind.

I couldn't trim it out due to the wind but it seems to fly ok. It has a minor roll moment which I think is rudder induced. I will wait for calm weather to adjust it though.

Amp draw is averaging 6amps with a high at WOT of 25amps.

I did have one scare on the first flight. While flying downwind I got a sudden and violent nose up action. I managed to correct before stalling. Something was not right though. I landed then flew another five minute flight without issue.

Came back inside and gave the plane the once over then went out again.

Flight three did not go so well. After about 20seconds of a smooth gradual climb-out the violent elevator glitch returned. The plane stalled, rolled and went in hard!!

Damage was minimal really. Some wrinkles in the stockings around the front of the fuselage. Snapped the camera platform and cracked open the nose. The horizontal stab ripped off and the foam pillar for the co-pilot thermopile sensor was broken by the wings.

God the WBPU and stockings really paid off. If this was raw foam then it would have been a right-off. The wings suffered no damage!!

Its all ready to go again once the glue sets up.

I am still not certain what caused the elevator glitch (If thats what it was). The servo is behaving properly on the bench and the control rod and arm are still in place. I suspect the copilot. I just transferred it from the ez* and checked correct throw response. Remote gain was at zero though I had tested the copilot on the second launch and it seemed to be working ok. I think I should look at it a little closer and redo the co-pilot setup.

Should add the downlink was off and there was no external power to the gopro so I dont think its an RF issue.

I don't think its an aerodynamic issue either as I am slightly nose heavy. Anyone who has suggestions please let me know.

Before I'm asked - Yes the crash was recorded on the Gopro lol. I will post it later tonight if I get time.

Regards

Fergus
Last edited by Fergus; May 04, 2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old May 04, 2010, 02:31 PM
France, Pyrénées Orientales
Joined Feb 2009
423 Posts
Hi

beautiful plateform FPV HD

jdm66
jdm66 is offline Find More Posts by jdm66
Old May 04, 2010, 02:41 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,195 Posts
Fergus, thanks for the review, weird thing on the elevator...I wonder if you have an issue with the servo itself, a jammed tooth on the cogs.

So first impressions, better or equal than an easystar for example ?

I went ahead and ordered one too. So I might add to the upcoming reviews.
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old May 04, 2010, 03:00 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2005
353 Posts
First impressions are very good. Much easier to work on than an easystar and seems to fly nicely with huge payload capability. I'm a little spooked after the crash but thats not the airframes doing.

Now I can inspect all the components and see what the problem is. No way I could have done that easily on the EZ*.

Regards

Fergus
Old May 04, 2010, 03:33 PM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,229 Posts
idea for glitching servo's

Hi Fergus,
congratulations on putting together and getting the project to fly.

The Airtronics 2.4ghz FHSS (5~8ch)receivers have a unique feature where you can setup the *all* channels 1~4 to a default failsafe setting when the RX loses contact/sync with the TX.
I recently lost a 3m woody glider with a non-airtronics 2.4ghz Rx due to lockout and don't plan to do that again.

john s.
jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain
Last edited by jswain; May 05, 2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old May 04, 2010, 04:05 PM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,190 Posts
I don't know how everyone else do but when doing the maiden flight of a brand new, never flown before type of plane, I always do it without any additionnal FPV gear, only the minimum (motor, ESC, servos et lipo pack) so I can see how well it performs.

Once I'm familiar enough with the new rig, then, I put all the FPV gear and do some tests flights.
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse
Old May 05, 2010, 05:03 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Man, prices sure have gone up, $144 with an additional $40 in shipping? That's rather steep for a foamy!

Cheers,

Sander.
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 05, 2010, 07:54 AM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2005
353 Posts
Got it back in the air today for all of 1 minute........ turned into wind and the wings folded

The left wing snapped right at the end of the carbon spars where the wing starts its dihedral. The plane was not travelling fast although winds were 15mph.

The plane again exhibited a nose up tendency in the turn which makes me wonder if the recommended COG of 3inches from the leading edge is correct!!

Failsafe was set on all channels this time. I have no reason to believe it was a glitch.

My conclusion on this EPS plane is its garbage!! Perhaps the EPO version is better. I will wait for others to post feedback before I consider buying one though.

I'll post pics of the damage when I calm down!

Not a happy camper right now

Regards

Fergus
Old May 05, 2010, 07:57 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Oops! Sorry to hear about that, but I've had a similar experience ...

Must be one of those days ... (0 min 21 sec)

Cheers,

Sander.
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 05, 2010, 07:58 AM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Sorry Fergus. That's really a shame... Loads of effort for not much joy.. Sorry man...

Maybe the shop will help you out and sort this out. Wings snapping - plane isn't doing what it's meant to do... You may get something from the shop?

Sorry man.
Cralis is online now Find More Posts by Cralis
Old May 05, 2010, 08:00 AM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2005
353 Posts
Sander,

Sorry man. That is almost identical to my flight. Did the plane pitch up prior to the wing snapping?

Whats your thoughts on the cause?

Regards

Fergus