HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:35 PM
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,851 Posts
I look at mine and don't know how they could do that. If the wing is held in properly, you look at where the stress would be, and whether there is a seam there or not doesn't overly affect the strength at that point.
Take a look at where the stress is, and how much has to be applied to the wing before you would get a break at the spar. I think you would get a lot of deformity of the foam and breakage there far before the spar would snap.
I could even believe the spar ripping the wings at the ends as it held up and the foam didn't.
I don't know what really happened with those that snapped that spar on the v5-6, but I would guess that the crashes happened out of LOS and it is a guess as to what happened more than what really happened.
I have watched my wing curve due to un-intended stress in LOS situations.
It holds up well.
The strips sure don't hurt, but I would hate for anyone to think that this is a necessity.
Shadrack is offline Find More Posts by Shadrack
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:08 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,643 Posts
No, it wasn't from crashing. It happened in the air while flying FPV.
Believe what you like, but it's the weak point of the newer wings.

This is with my old V2 wings with ribbon spars. Most of the bend is in
the dual joiners. It'd be interesting to see what this test would look like with single joiner wings. .

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:07 PM
FPV Pilot
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2007
2,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raRaRa View Post
You get two small wooden plates and 2 screws. When you glue the plane together you should insert the wooden plate inside the vertical stabilizer and the other one on top of the horizontal stabilizer. Then you put the 2 screws in to secure it together.

Screenshot of it assembled:
[IMG]http://api.ning.com/files/z7f*7oRHFFUp5GgHZdtnUl6WnnQd3m8vAbuaoPSBunsSCuIQpt 2S2xoLWisfAqP1OAZw0LxlW8mO4OfBLxmsyyg2vRYtgdT5/2.png[/IMG]
I looked over my hardware bag and it wasnt included. Grrrr
blueprint is online now Find More Posts by blueprint
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:58 AM
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
No, it wasn't from crashing. It happened in the air while flying FPV.
Believe what you like, but it's the weak point of the newer wings.

This is with my old V2 wings with ribbon spars. Most of the bend is in
the dual joiners. It'd be interesting to see what this test would look like with single joiner wings. .

ian
Yes I would like to see someone sacrifice their wing to do the same test.
I don't know how it happened, but how were they flying is my point.
If there is one folded wing and a few thousand of these out there, I wouldn't be so prone to blame the wing.
Took these type of problems in stats, and I think you use a chi squared test. Samples from production and testing to see if the whole batch is bad.
I agree that what you do helps Ian, just don't think that everyone needs to do it. They use roll cages in certain cars due to how they drive them, personally, I don't drive that way, so the basic frame strength is good enough for me.
Shadrack is offline Find More Posts by Shadrack
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:34 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,643 Posts
It's not about how hard you push the plane intentionally.
All it takes is a few seconds of failsafe to put any FPV plane in a vertical dive.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:40 PM
Foam Snow
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Aug 2011
1,333 Posts
I'm setting up a pan & tilt mount for the first time now and I'm having a hard time getting the right pan servo. I've tried three different servos, analogue & digital, and both of them have jitters at some stage through the pan. As soon as I switch my TX off, the jitter stops though.

What can be the cause? How can I solve this? I have some MG Digital Servos with express courier coming tomorrow, really hoping that will do the trick, but I'm worried that the jitter is caused by my tx, though it's not the case with most of my control surfaces servos.
heinduplessis is online now Find More Posts by heinduplessis
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:42 PM
Joined Sep 2012
208 Posts
Anyone seen the new skywalker?

Looks like there is a newer skywalker coming out that is redesigned.

It's at bevrc.com. Under the "facebook" updates.
Northern Flier is offline Find More Posts by Northern Flier
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:12 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,643 Posts
Yes it was posted on the previous page of this thread. It also has its own thread.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:38 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinduplessis View Post
I'm setting up a pan & tilt mount for the first time now and I'm having a hard time getting the right pan servo. I've tried three different servos, analogue & digital, and both of them have jitters at some stage through the pan. As soon as I switch my TX off, the jitter stops though.

What can be the cause? How can I solve this? I have some MG Digital Servos with express courier coming tomorrow, really hoping that will do the trick, but I'm worried that the jitter is caused by my tx, though it's not the case with most of my control surfaces servos.
If you turn your video transmitter and camera off, does it still jitter?
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:41 PM
Foam Snow
Joined Aug 2011
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
If you turn your video transmitter and camera off, does it still jitter?
I don't have the tx connected yet, but with the camera or without, it still jitters. Only when I turn my TX (Radio controller) off does it stop.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:45 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinduplessis View Post
I don't have the tx connected yet, but with the camera or without, it still jitters. Only when I turn my TX (Radio controller) off does it stop.
Well then I don't know. Maybe if you posted more information about your RC system, and what servos you've been using, others may chime in. Have you tried a torroid on the servo lead? What other kind of filtering do you have? What happens when you move the RC TX futher away?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:54 PM
Foam Snow
Joined Aug 2011
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
Well then I don't know. Maybe if you posted more information about your RC system, and what servos you've been using, others may chime in. Have you tried a torroid on the servo lead? What other kind of filtering do you have? What happens when you move the RC TX futher away?
I've tried 2 different HXT900's a TowerPro 9g and some unbranded orange and blue digital servo from HK. Proximity of the RC TX makes no difference.

Maybe I should invest in more expensive servos.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:01 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,091 Posts
Sometimes too high a voltage to the servo can make it jitter as well. What have you set your BEC to?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:31 PM
"Every boy has a dream to fly"
Fort Collins Colorado
Joined Sep 2009
510 Posts
could i get away using 3s? or does this airplane absolutely need power for FPV? what is the biggest prop i can put on this badboy? i will be ordering one for christmas.
Airplanekid333 is offline Find More Posts by Airplanekid333
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:55 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,643 Posts
Yes, many people run 3S with a 10 inch prop. Have to move the motor mount up a bit.
RCG Plus Member