HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:33 AM
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff82 View Post
I've tested with the antenna pointing up and i was having many issues when coming home at 1,3 km. The video is totally clear in the other direction. So I think i've a masking effect and I'm looking for another setup for my antenna.
I've tried also to put the antenna not in the alignment of the fuselage but the issue is the same when coming home with a little shift.
What are you running for your receiving antenna?
Shadrack is offline Find More Posts by Shadrack
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:53 PM
France
Joined Feb 2010
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadrack View Post
What are you running for your receiving antenna?
DUO5800 V2 with SP and Helical 9.5dbi antennas.
jeff82 is offline Find More Posts by jeff82
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:56 PM
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,919 Posts
I have a helical 7T with a windmill Tx and a fan Rx with the duo5800.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 02:12 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,092 Posts
Thanks for the dive test info guys and for the added explanation !
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:01 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,114 Posts
Quote:
So you think that the spar would break, or show signs of stress, before the foam was affected?
Maybe, I'm just saying that the permanent deformation or yielding of one material is not an indication of the state of the other.

Quote:
So if we braced one side of the wing so it can't move, and inserted the spar fully, and then grabbed the exposed end of the spar and started to move it to the side, you say that the spar would snap before the foam would deform?
That would not be a close test, but but I don't think quite the same as the flight load because the compression force on the foam should be evenly distributed, not a point load.

Quote:
I have had the wing lift and cause multiple high G loops that were unintended. People watching from the ground were surprised that the wing didn't snap.
Which probably shows that your spar is strong enough for normal aeros. If you can seriously abuse it like you have already, you should be fine provided you don't push it beyond that. Maybe others have just been unlucky.

Sub
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:02 PM
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,919 Posts
I think a lot have not had the wing strapped down tight enough.
I have witnessed that on a few planes that were flyable, but under the right load that elastic comes up and funny things happen. Have a friend with an apprentice. Did the same thing. Elastic got old and dry, and problems. Lucky enough I told the guys to land and checked it out. Sure enough, replacing them fixed the problem.
Now instead of watching it from the outside, pick up on that from the video from inside. Harder to pick up. Once that lifts up then crazy things happen and there is a lot of force that now doesn't have the extensions fully within the fuselage so the wing can now separate.
I try to tell the guys I fly with that at the first sign of trouble, or a funny noise, land.
Had a friend go across the field asking everyone...."you hear that buzzing? What do you think it is?"
My answer "the nut that is vibrating off the bolt as you keep on flying by. You will see what I mean right away."
He landed to find out it was the spinner starting to come loose on his prop.
I think if you keep this wing on the plane, bolts, or enough elastics, that a lot of these "wing problems" go away. How many people still needed to be told how to use the elastics. We had to have a video on youtube just to make sure people understood the concepts of "tight enough".
Something like that should be easy to check and easy to fix.
One of the little things that causes lost planes.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:15 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,114 Posts
"That video" that keeps getting posted wouldn't work for me. The only way I was able to get enough tension in the elastics to give me what I felt was enough tension (not measured, just going by experience and feel), was to double the elastics over, and use all 4.

My personal view, is that if I'd used the elastics singly, or as shown in the video, I'd have crashed by now.
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:39 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,869 Posts
The stock rubber bands installed the way that video shows, works just fine.
Full power loops, rolls, dives, aggressive turns, couple hundred hours of
flying in the last year and a half, and never had the wing lift.
There are various sources for standard #7 bands, which appear to be
a little tighter than the stock bands. Good idea to get some new bands
for when the stock ones get degraded by the sun and fail (they all will).

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:47 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2010
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
"That video" that keeps getting posted wouldn't work for me. The only way I was able to get enough tension in the elastics to give me what I felt was enough tension (not measured, just going by experience and feel), was to double the elastics over, and use all 4.

My personal view, is that if I'd used the elastics singly, or as shown in the video, I'd have crashed by now.
I agree. I installed the same as the video and lost the wing... I can only assume the rubbers were not tight enough, so now I double them over and its so much tighter, no problems since, just a bent nose after the rebuild from the vertical drop from 500 meters...
Haych is online now Find More Posts by Haych
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:25 AM
United States, CA, Santa Monica
Joined Jul 2011
494 Posts
Is there a US supplier for this plane?
Lpbug is offline Find More Posts by Lpbug
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:15 AM
Joined Jan 2012
249 Posts
got it fixed
Michael
mikenc is offline Find More Posts by mikenc
Last edited by mikenc; Sep 06, 2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:14 PM
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
The stock rubber bands installed the way that video shows, works just fine.
Full power loops, rolls, dives, aggressive turns, couple hundred hours of
flying in the last year and a half, and never had the wing lift.
There are various sources for standard #7 bands, which appear to be
a little tighter than the stock bands. Good idea to get some new bands
for when the stock ones get degraded by the sun and fail (they all will).

ian
Ian, I know my new rubber bands after getting torqued in one flight, were useless afterwards. I ended up buying some SIG #67 bands that I use 6 of and am very safe. I couldn't use the stock ones anymore and I was using the video method. Maybe some of them are subpar.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:37 AM
Foam Snow
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Aug 2011
1,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcimports View Post
Video?
Practice and attempt at filming mountain bike race with drone (9 min 11 sec)
heinduplessis is offline Find More Posts by heinduplessis
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:40 AM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,694 Posts
Looks good, but I'd scrap all of the wood...that's just a lot of extra weight. Where's the HD cam going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus44 View Post
So I'm almost done with my SW1900 build also. It's taken a long to time build but look forward to flying it. It's hard to fine time to build with two children under 3, house work, a wife, a job and life........ Here are some pictures..

The RVGS is not mounted to the back of that patch antenna it's just sitting there.

let me know what you think.
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:53 AM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,694 Posts
Antenna on the wingtip will give you the best video reception

On the pan behind the motor is just problems galore...been there, did that. Even if you're getting a decent signal back there now, just wait until you try the wingtip and then you'll be wondering why you ever put it behind the motor ...this is even more true with 5.8mhz where line of sight is even more important than it is at 2.4mhz or 1.3mhz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff82 View Post
Anyone has tried to put the antenna like this on its video TX ?
The antenna seems do not touch the ground when the SW is landing. But il's limit
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Last edited by AdamChicago; Sep 06, 2012 at 10:00 AM.