Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:00 AM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
AdamChicago's Avatar
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,650 Posts
Loitering is against the law after all LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
Even when you are pulling 50A out of your 4S 5000 pack, you're still only at 10C. I still argue that high C rated packs are over specced and over weight for any configuration, even your "aggressive" setup. For this reason I choose low C rated packs 15 - 20C. I'd use 10C if I could get them in this size, and enjoy a lighter weight aircraft.

As an aside, I read recently that one of the companies researching ultra long range, solar augmented surveylance aircraft are putting a good deal of research into LiPo batteries of under 1C discharge rate. These are the ultimate loiterers. Must really get under your skin Adam

Cheers,
Sub
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:55 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2011
92 Posts
Hey my Skywalker will arrive the next days So happy to get this plane.

Is there any detailed build with fotos etc ? I searched on youtube and google but those videos are not like a written build.
Airbuzzler is offline Find More Posts by Airbuzzler
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:46 PM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
AdamChicago's Avatar
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,650 Posts
There's almost as many unique builds as there are posters on this thread

Just do an image search for Gooogle "Skywalker Build" and you'll find everything you need.

Basics:

Before gluing the fuse together:
- Plan out component location thoroughly!
- Do not put VTx on boom pan behind motor...wingtip location is preferred
- Rx antenna(s) work great on wings away from VTx as well IMO
- GPS works great on top of motor pod behind wing
- ESC goes under motor on outside
- OSD Cam works well on top behind canopy while HD cam can go on canopy or in front just above nose (mine is just above the nose)
- Flaps are not necessary regardless of weight in my own experience (I have them and almost never use them)

Fuse:
- Insert wooden screw-downs for canopy/nose and horizontal stab/tail
- Insert CF rod in tail boom...decide whether you want to run cables thru center of rod or not (won't be able to if you use additional vertical CF rod to reinforce tail)
- Run rudder and elevator cables
- Some do extra reinforcing of the tail with a vertical CF rod and other don't, but by far not a necessity
- Preferably use the included CA glue with accelerator...Gorilla glue is a good sub but it will foam-out a bit
- Batteries go in nose (only way CG will work out)
- Use a separate BEC...with all of the control surfaces (especially if you use flaps and pan-tilt cam) and FPV gear it's risky trusting your ESC's internal BEC
- You can fit up to an 11inch prop...maybe 12 if you're creative

Wings:
- Don't glue spar-caps in with CF spar in place and DO NOT use gorilla glue because foam will fill CF slot
- Some people add extra wing-length CF tape spars for reinforcement and others don't (a couple strips of fiber tape wing length on bottom and top help a lot)

I'm sure others will add or refute my ideas...aaaargghhh!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbuzzler View Post
Hey my Skywalker will arrive the next days So happy to get this plane.

Is there any detailed build with fotos etc ? I searched on youtube and google but those videos are not like a written build.
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 03:10 PM
Registered User
snelan's Avatar
Joined Jul 2012
413 Posts
Just some questions about that, still a noob myself so not saying you are wrong, just curious:

1) Why is is better to have the VTX on the wing?
2) Why not glue the spar caps on?


And, some comments:

1) I definitely agree with you on the fuse reinforcement. I can't really compare it to anything, but I put a 1' or so rectangular CF rod inside the bottom of my fuse before gluing the two halves together, and it seems extremely rigid. Had some nose first crashes due to loss of control (bad receiver) and there's not a scratch on the plane!

2) I reinforced my vert stab with another rectangular CF rod, seems to help keep wiggle to a minimum.

3) I threw my ESC inside with plastic spoon method vents. It's a Plush 60a so it usually doesn't even work hard. If I had a 40a or so I think it would need to go outside.
snelan is offline Find More Posts by snelan
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 03:15 PM
Registered User
United States, IN, Carmel
Joined Jan 2008
2,395 Posts
Question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snelan View Post
1) why is is better to have the vtx on the wing?
2) why not glue the spar caps on?
Answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamchicago View Post
- do not put vtx on boom pan behind motor...wingtip location is preferred
- rx antenna(s) work great on wings away from vtx as well imo

wings:
- don't glue spar-caps in with cf spar in place and do not use gorilla glue because foam will fill cf slot
/Dimitrios
Dimitris76 is offline Find More Posts by Dimitris76
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 03:23 PM
Registered User
snelan's Avatar
Joined Jul 2012
413 Posts
I know, I was just wondering WHY it is better/worse to do those things, not whether or not I SHOULD do those things.
snelan is offline Find More Posts by snelan
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 03:26 PM
Registered User
United States, IN, Carmel
Joined Jan 2008
2,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snelan View Post
I know, I was just wondering WHY it is better/worse to do those things, not whether or not I SHOULD do those things.
Apparently you don't know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by snelan View Post
2) Why not glue the spar caps on?
- VTx away from R/C Rx = less interference/loss of sensitivity on Rx

- If you try to glue the spar-caps with the CF rod in place you'll probably glue it in there permanently too...

/Dimitrios
Dimitris76 is offline Find More Posts by Dimitris76
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:07 PM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
AdamChicago's Avatar
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,650 Posts
Primary reason for putting VTx on wingtip is that location has the least obstructions and secondly it reduces interference with the Rx. If you put it on the boom-pan it is behind all of the equipment and batteries in the fuse which act as a huge RF shadow (when flying towards you). Putting it on the tail causes the same problem and I've seen people put it on top between the canopy and main wing but that's a great location for the OSD cam and would also cause additional interference with other components IMO

Haha you definitely need to glue the spar caps on, just don't have the CF spars inside when you do it...you may accidentally glue them in...they're made to be removable

You do not need CF in the bottom of the fuse. I've had more hard landings and minor crashes than I can count and the fuse has never shown any signs of flexing or breaking. However extra CF in the boom, tail and wings can help.

One other reason to put the ESC outside is it saves room and helps reduce interference with OSD, Rx, video etc...both the ESC and VTx are very RF noisy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snelan View Post
Just some questions about that, still a noob myself so not saying you are wrong, just curious:

1) Why is is better to have the VTX on the wing?
2) Why not glue the spar caps on?


And, some comments:

1) I definitely agree with you on the fuse reinforcement. I can't really compare it to anything, but I put a 1' or so rectangular CF rod inside the bottom of my fuse before gluing the two halves together, and it seems extremely rigid. Had some nose first crashes due to loss of control (bad receiver) and there's not a scratch on the plane!

2) I reinforced my vert stab with another rectangular CF rod, seems to help keep wiggle to a minimum.

3) I threw my ESC inside with plastic spoon method vents. It's a Plush 60a so it usually doesn't even work hard. If I had a 40a or so I think it would need to go outside.
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:07 PM
Registered User
snelan's Avatar
Joined Jul 2012
413 Posts
Well I meant why is it better on the wing vs on the tail, but yea I guess you just mean because more separation is gained from putting it on the wings.

Also, I thought you meant never glue the spar caps on. I assume you mean don't glue them in place if you haven't glued your spar in yet. Personally, I went with the permanent spar solution, I just can't stand the notion of having my wing separate in flight.

Finally, by saying "I know" I did not mean that I know the reasons behind doing those things, I meant that I know he stated to do them, but in my first post I was curious as to WHY he suggest that.


EDIT: @ AdamChicago, I see. Thank you for clarifying I'm gonna move my VTx to the wing then. I honestly didn't know they were made to be removed. I thought they were meant to be glued in but some guys just ran it without gluing them in. Next time I'll try a non-glued solution.
snelan is offline Find More Posts by snelan
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:30 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
carguy1994ca's Avatar
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbuzzler View Post
Hey my Skywalker will arrive the next days So happy to get this plane.

Is there any detailed build with fotos etc ? I searched on youtube and google but those videos are not like a written build.
Go in the tread tools and look for tread attachments, you'll see all the pics of this tread.
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV week end with friends
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:39 PM
You can't take the sky from me
Rastislavko's Avatar
Slovakia, Bratislava Region, Bratislava
Joined Jun 2006
748 Posts
Here is my component layout for Skywalker. Perhaps it's not the best possible, today I would place ESC outside the fuselage under the motor (it's getting quite warm inside, even it's close to the airflow opening), but it works very well. I'm using TSLRS with two antennas on extension cables (you can buy them for Garmin GPS) - one leads to the vertical stabilizer and one to the wing. When I'm attaching wing I have to connect 4 connectors: 2x JR for ailerons, 1x MCX (LRS antenna) and 1x MPX (for video transmitter).
Rastislavko is offline Find More Posts by Rastislavko
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:44 PM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
AdamChicago's Avatar
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,650 Posts
Hey keep asking questions I don't know why anyone would feel they should challenge anyone's questions...that's what this forum is for


Quote:
Originally Posted by snelan View Post
Well I meant why is it better on the wing vs on the tail, but yea I guess you just mean because more separation is gained from putting it on the wings.

Also, I thought you meant never glue the spar caps on. I assume you mean don't glue them in place if you haven't glued your spar in yet. Personally, I went with the permanent spar solution, I just can't stand the notion of having my wing separate in flight.

Finally, by saying "I know" I did not mean that I know the reasons behind doing those things, I meant that I know he stated to do them, but in my first post I was curious as to WHY he suggest that.


EDIT: @ AdamChicago, I see. Thank you for clarifying I'm gonna move my VTx to the wing then. I honestly didn't know they were made to be removed. I thought they were meant to be glued in but some guys just ran it without gluing them in. Next time I'll try a non-glued solution.
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:45 PM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
AdamChicago's Avatar
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,650 Posts
Thanks for posting...actually since they changed to the new forum format a year or so ago I've been wondering how to just browse the photos without having to go through every page of the thread...awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
Go in the tread tools and look for tread attachments, you'll see all the pics of this tread.
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:48 PM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
AdamChicago's Avatar
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,650 Posts
Rast, you stole my layout! ...LOL Mine is almost identical except for my GPS is on top of the motor pod and I put the two Rx antennas vertically through the LE of the main wing about 5inches away from either side of the fuse...wanted to find a location where they could be a perfectly vertical bipole without impact the ground when landing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastislavko View Post
Here is my component layout for Skywalker. Perhaps it's not the best possible, today I would place ESC outside the fuselage under the motor (it's getting quite warm inside, even it's close to the airflow opening), but it works very well. I'm using TSLRS with two antennas on extension cables (you can buy them for Garmin GPS) - one leads to the vertical stabilizer and one to the wing. When I'm attaching wing I have to connect 4 connectors: 2x JR for ailerons, 1x MCX (LRS antenna) and 1x MPX (for video transmitter).
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 06:01 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
carguy1994ca's Avatar
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastislavko View Post
Here is my component layout for Skywalker. Perhaps it's not the best possible, today I would place ESC outside the fuselage under the motor (it's getting quite warm inside, even it's close to the airflow opening), but it works very well. I'm using TSLRS with two antennas on extension cables (you can buy them for Garmin GPS) - one leads to the vertical stabilizer and one to the wing. When I'm attaching wing I have to connect 4 connectors: 2x JR for ailerons, 1x MCX (LRS antenna) and 1x MPX (for video transmitter).
You could make some holes with plastic spoons over them so air enters the fuselage and cools the esc.
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV week end with friends
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Best plane for FPV while on vacation? patricklupo FPV Aircraft 23 Aug 08, 2010 06:27 AM
Cool FPV plane rescue with an FPV truck :-) AnthonyRC FPV Aircraft 17 Feb 24, 2008 10:45 PM
For Sale Skywalker plane and a bunch of extras moody07747 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 8 Sep 19, 2006 09:34 PM
Discussion Aviator Skywalker RC plane given to me moody07747 Electric Plane Talk 46 Sep 12, 2006 11:45 AM