HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:48 AM
You can't take the sky from me
Slovakia, Bratislava Region, Bratislava
Joined Jun 2006
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
The way to puff a lipo is to keep drawing current with the cell voltage well below 3V.
This is true for all but Nanotech batteries. Don't pay for that junk. I ordered 5000mAh Nanotech and it puffed after 3-4 flights in Skywalker! Peak current is around 42 Amps for few seconds after start, standard flying power comsumption is around 11A... Low (20-25) C-rate Zippy are much better...
Rastislavko is online now Find More Posts by Rastislavko
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:34 PM
Fatalities caused by FPV: Zero
United States, OR, Springfield
Joined Jun 2011
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastislavko View Post
Low (20-25) C-rate Zippy are much better...
I agree. My 5000mah Zippy's have been going strong for 50+ flights (I have 2 of them). No puffing at all. Power or capacity may have sagged a little, but it's hard to really notice, I can't really tell.
glassdogangle is offline Find More Posts by glassdogangle
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:01 PM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,651 Posts
Agreed...recently switched to NanoTech 60C plus ratings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthOrbiter View Post
There is one part of a battery that has to be considered. That is the C rating.
I recently purchased a Gens Ace 60-120C 3S at 5000 Mah 12 min flight time. Compared to the 5800 Mah Turningy's 40 C that flew for 9 Min on a Quad and Ballooned after a few flights. I would suggest a higher C Rating. It might cost you double but is worth 5 times the flights with the same battery. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_2VNe5I9Sw
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:07 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamChicago View Post
Agreed...recently switched to NanoTech 60C plus ratings.
This has all been hashed out in the battery forums. Don't buy more "C" than you need. It's a waste of money and weight.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:12 PM
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,651 Posts
Not everyone sets up their SW's to be "loiterers" If you can't tell this by now it is a pet-peeve of mine. The goal isn't to make the lightest and wimpiest SW out there like so many brag about. And adding those new huge wings takes this to a whole new level of bobbling around like a butterfly in the sky. Some of use like to reinforce the SW and fly more aggressive. While I can sludge through the air at 11amps I typically fly more aggressively in the 20amp range while proximity flying etc. I often hit 40amps several times during a flight and in the 50's on launch and/or aggressive climb. And with all of that I still stay airborne for close to 40mins on a 5000 4S. High C rating batteries are a definite plus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
Is this in reference to the Skywalker? 60+C rated batteries are a totally out of spec on an aircraft such as this. These are not 3D helicopters with a 4 minute flight time and 200A bursts. They are loiterers which sip current at 1 to 15C max. My Skywalker cruises at 7.6A, which from my 3S 5000 pack is about 1.5C. Max power is about 60A, so 12C is the most it can ever pull, and that for just the briefest of moments on takeoff until about 30mph is reached. What would be the point of 60C packs when your 15C pack of the same capacity is lighter, and can therefore fly further, for longer and costs less to boot. “5 times the flitghts”? What are you talking about?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:19 PM
Joined Dec 2010
6,984 Posts
Quote:
Not everyone sets up their SW's to be "loiterers" If you can't tell this by now it is a pet-peeve of mine. The goal isn't to make the lightest and wimpiest SW out there like so many brag about. And adding those new huge wings takes this to a whole new level of bobbling around like a butterfly in the sky. Some of use like to reinforce the SW and fly more aggressive. While I can sludge through the air at 11amps I typically fly more aggressively in the 20amp range while proximity flying etc. I often hit 40amps several times during a flight and in the 50's on launch and/or aggressive climb. And with all of that I still stay airborne for close to 40mins on a 5000 4S. High C rating batteries are a definite plus!
Within reason. I have 4 GensAce 25C batteries I fly in a 1kw 3D plane. I have hundreds of flights with no puff at all. You just need a quality pack and don't go below 20% capacity.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:38 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,219 Posts
Flying at 20-40A versus 7-10 doesn't change the fact that you absolutely
positively don't need a battery rated for 300A. My X8 pulls up
to 65A, and still runs just fine on 25C 5000mAh packs.
And high C packs don't hold any more capacity than low.
The only way to get 40min out of a 5000mAh pack of any C rating
is to average about 7.5A draw over the whole flight.
The only place you can see any difference is if you're trying to
run full throttle down into the last 20% of the pack's capacity and then
there'll be a little faster voltage sag as it goes over the "knee"
in the curve.

I don't own any Nanotech packs. Maybe they're just junk
and will really puff after 3-4 normal flights, but I really doubt it.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Aug 22, 2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 02:18 PM
Joined Jun 2006
748 Posts
It's not only with 5000mAh Nanotech - I'm flying also MaxiSwift with 2x2200mAh 3S Nanotech batteries. They are puffing like popcorn - I've just made a little photo. From left to right: Zippy, not puffed at all, few flights only to the left, in the middle is a little puffed Nanotech, few flights only (the same age and using as Zippy), to the right Nanotech with cca 10-15 flights - not usable anymore... Peak current of my MaxiSwift is 36A, standard flying current cca 11A.

My 5000mAh Nanotech in skywalker is now only slightly puffed, looks like the battery in the middle. But I can't recommend buying this - I was thinking "the more C-rate, the cooler and less puffed battery". Forget it...
Old Aug 22, 2012, 02:19 PM
Joined Dec 2010
6,984 Posts
Quote:
It's not only with 5000mAh Nanotech - I'm flying also MaxiSwift with 2x2200mAh 3S Nanotech batteries. They are puffing like popcorn - I've just made a little photo. From left to right: Zippy, not puffed at all, few flights only to the left, in the middle is a little puffed Nanotech, few flights only (the same age and using as Zippy), to the right Nanotech with cca 10-15 flights - not usable anymore... Peak current of my MaxiSwift is 36A, standard flying current cca 11A.

My 5000mAh Nanotech in skywalker is now only slightly puffed, looks like the battery in the middle. But I can't recommend buying this - I was thinking "the more C-rate, the cooler and less puffed battery". Forget it...
This doesn't look right at all. How many mAh are you putting back in these batteries after a flight?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 02:37 PM
Joined Jun 2006
748 Posts
I never discharge batteries under 3.3V under load. Battery warning is set to 10.5V. So I always charge less then 2000mAh. I have never such problem with other battery brands than Turnigy (my 30-40C 3600mAh were pretty bad, too) - but those Nanotechs are worst of them all. I bought them three times, so it can't be just a bad serie. First I thought it's because of my parallel connection, but also my Nanotech in tricopter get puffed and now the one in Skywalker... I don't trust them anymore.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 02:42 PM
Joined Dec 2010
6,984 Posts
Quote:
I never discharge batteries under 3.3V under load. Battery warning is set to 10.5V. So I always charge less then 2000mAh. I have never such problem with other battery brands than Turnigy (my 30-40C 3600mAh were pretty bad, too) - but those Nanotechs are worst of them all. I bought them three times, so it can't be just a bad serie. First I thought it's because of my parallel connection, but also my Nanotech in tricopter get puffed and now the one in Skywalker... I don't trust them anymore.
If you're putting back under 2000mAh, you're completely babying them. I guess they are just bad batteries. I dunno. Are you charging at 1C? Well, I guess we're beating a dead horse at this point. Sorry for your rotten luck. Batteries are expensive!
Old Aug 22, 2012, 02:53 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,251 Posts
I have been using Nanotech 3.3 4S batteries in a Sbach 342 with no puffing, never warm. Only had 1 battery puff up, it was a Rhino 3s 0.610 First cycle buffed up, still works fine..the other similar ones works fine.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Aug 22, 2012, 04:24 PM
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,651 Posts
That one on the right is a goner...it's time for the recycling plant

Quote:

Old Aug 22, 2012, 04:33 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,021 Posts
Quote:
Even when you are pulling 50A out of your 4S 5000 pack, you're still only at 10C. I still argue that high C rated packs are over specced and over weight for any configuration, even your "aggressive" setup. For this reason I choose low C rated packs 15 - 20C. I'd use 10C if I could get them in this size, and enjoy a lighter weight aircraft.

As an aside, I read recently that one of the companies researching ultra long range, solar augmented surveylance aircraft are putting a good deal of research into LiPo batteries of under 1C discharge rate. These are the ultimate loiterers. Must really get under your skin Adam

Cheers,
Sub
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:19 AM
The way of being is doing.
Italia, Emilia Romagna, Ravenna
Joined Apr 2009
431 Posts
Hi,
I fly FPV with a Zephyr from some months.. It's a great plane but sometime, on occasion, I need a plane more calm for a relaxed FPV tourism. For this reason I'm interested to buy a SkyWalker.

I would ask if it's better to buy the 168cm or 190cm version ?

Who owns them could tell me the strengths and weaknesses of the two versions ?

thanks
IMEIV is online now Find More Posts by IMEIV