HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2012, 02:10 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2011
228 Posts
I think I burned my motor or ESC today. One of them does not work properly so I desiced to change both.

Can you recommend me a motor + ESC combo for my 1900 Skywalker. It is pretty heavy loaded with FPV gear.

Thanks..
slarys is offline Find More Posts by slarys
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2012, 02:50 PM
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmonster99 View Post
I love that plan...this is something I always wanted to do with other local clubs . let us know the result. It would be great if you had a friend in the know in the middle of the crowd and ask him to record the conversations
I do.
The owner of the hobby store.
Just went and told him what I was going to do.
He loves the idea.
He thinks it will be so funny when a plane comes from nowhere that they can see a pilot, takes some video, and then screws off.
He will fill me in on the reactions.
Shadrack is online now Find More Posts by Shadrack
Old Aug 08, 2012, 05:59 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadrack View Post
I don't know why so many people glue the wing? Maybe the early ones were different but this one, when setup right, is pretty strong in the center area, so much that I don't know what more glue would do.
The wing is often glued together so people can add additional spars top and bottom. It's been often reported on this thread that the single spar wing used in version 5 and on is quite weak and flexible. There have been failures in flight of which we don't always have all the details, but one thing is certain, that the single spar wing from V5 and on is weaker and more flexible than previous models. If you want to add spars top and bottom to solve both these problems, making the wing one piece is one way.

Others have supplemented the single joiner with another, but it requires careful drilling from the wing root.
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Aug 08, 2012, 06:10 PM
Foam Snow
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Aug 2011
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauromassari View Post
Will love to see that too. Don't do it, you are alredy too lucky from the 1st one.

Mauro
There hasn't been a first time! I consider myself now properly warned!
heinduplessis is offline Find More Posts by heinduplessis
Old Aug 08, 2012, 06:12 PM
Foam Snow
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Aug 2011
1,333 Posts
Quote:
I do.
He loves the idea.
He thinks it will be so funny when a plane comes from nowhere that they can see a pilot, takes some video, and then screws off.
I can hear you now... "please don't crash...please don't crash..." ;-)

Do let us know!
heinduplessis is offline Find More Posts by heinduplessis
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:57 PM
United States, IN, Carmel
Joined Jan 2008
2,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raRaRa View Post
From experience, please try to remove the cable under the prop. I had my video tx wire going under the prop taped on the bloom, but guess what, Skywalker can bend a lot. I managed to cut my video tx wires on hard landing, but just barely so it worked randomly. I didn't notice it until like few days later. Really dangerous!
I thought that too - but I am using an 8inch prop

Thanks for the suggestion anyway!
Dimitris76 is offline Find More Posts by Dimitris76
Old Aug 09, 2012, 12:43 PM
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slarys View Post
I think I burned my motor or ESC today. One of them does not work properly so I desiced to change both.

Can you recommend me a motor + ESC combo for my 1900 Skywalker. It is pretty heavy loaded with FPV gear.

Thanks..
What is the weight?
Old Aug 09, 2012, 12:45 PM
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,859 Posts
My 9 x 6 comes close too.
Either I put a small aluminum protector over the wire just to be safe, or think about an 8 x 7. Just don't want to lose thrust.
Flies perfect now.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 12:48 PM
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinduplessis View Post
I can hear you now... "please don't crash...please don't crash..." ;-)

Do let us know!
You have that right!!
We have some grumpy old timers that don't like that FPV is becoming more popular. They seem to think that it isn't safe.
I think that old timers with failing vision flying 1/3 scale gas powered 75 lb airplanes is a little more dangerous than a foamie pusher plane weighing 4.5 lbs usually flying over empty terrain.

Think that I will stay high enough to not bother them more than needed, but still give them something to look at and confuse them.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 12:56 PM
Brasil, CE, Fortaleza
Joined Jun 2011
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinduplessis View Post
There hasn't been a first time! I consider myself now properly warned!
Not you, the one that almost hit that house with the lost of this SW.

Mauro
mauromassari is offline Find More Posts by mauromassari
Old Aug 09, 2012, 04:41 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,127 Posts
Quote:
I do.
He loves the idea.
keep us posted
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:27 AM
Needs more cowbell...
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Jul 2011
27 Posts
Its taken a while, (~6 months, no excuses ) but over the past weekend I finally maidened the skywalker.

Flew for about 5 minutes LOS before I lost all control. Flaps where fully down with np up elevator mixed in so it nosed into the ground. Fortunately I only destroyed a flap and I now have a slightly peanut shaped nose.

Good news is on Wednesday I had 3 very successful flights using a borrowed DX8 at school. I convinced my teacher to let me use it for my physics assignment with the ardupilot in it for data logging.

It flew very nicely, glided way better than I hoped and was extremely stable. Good power without being over the top. CoG was about 15-20mm behind the servo wire. Nearly perfect conditions. It flys exactly like a radian crossed with a truck, and turns in its own length. All in all i'm pretty happy with everything except for my radio gear (my fault anyway) and im anxious to load it up and start doing more fpv.

My setup:
4 HS-65hg for the primary flight controls
2 HXT 900 for the flaps
AXI 2814-12
Turnigy Plush 60
15c 5000mAh 3s batteries - I had two in there for cg and predicted finished weight but was only using one, and when i do some more testing I will take the second one out and fly at ~35mm.

Turnigy 9x with ER9x firmware and dragonlink

And then my fpv and autopilot gear. I haven't looked at the fpv gear for so long I cant really remember exactly whats going into it.

Anyway, I want some help diagnosing the first crash.

1.Just before it crashed, I got it back for a second and then it went again. The time between when I first lost it to when I got it back was about how long it takes for the 9X it to reboot. I was using a spare 3s 1300 in it, but during testing before and after the crash it showed no signs of having a dodgy connection or being remotely close to flat. It was still around 12.3v.

2. When I was double checking the module pin out of the 9X for the dragonlink I absent mindedly touched the ppm to + instead of to ground. Could have burnt something inside making the 9x work inconsistently. When I opened it up I could not see any obviously burnt tracks or fried components. Also, the dragonlink never showed any signs of not getting a signal when testing (constant red light).

3. I was using the built in 3a BEC on the ESC. It was in the little compartment with no cooling. The increased load of putting flaps down could have caused a brown out. I have a 10a bec soldered to my current sensor, but I was reluctant to put any fpv gear on during maiden. I did use it on the flights on Wednesday.

4. I think i calibrated the dragon link receiver wrong. The pin labeled 1 on my receiver actually is channel 8, and the one labeled 8 receives channel 1, so i think I might have jumped the wrong pins. I dont know what effect this could of had.

5. I meant to range check, but I was flying with friends and you know how that always turns out. Also, I set my fail safe wrong so it went to half power when it crashed. I didn't realize this until I did a post mortem range check after the crash.

I hope I get this radio sorted soon, I cant wait to put all the gear on.

Thanks
zach.h is offline Find More Posts by zach.h
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:13 PM
USA, UT, North Ogden
Joined Dec 2010
70 Posts
New Skywalker Wing honeycomb

I purchased one of the longer wingspan skywalkers from Bevrc. Both wings have honeycomb areas. Looks like they didnt completely fill the mold with foam? Its bad on the top of one wing and leading edge, and noticable on top and bottom of the other. . Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions on what to fill these areas with? I have sent pictures to Bevrc and haven't received any response. Pics attached-- I hope
cavu flyer is offline Find More Posts by cavu flyer
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:04 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,663 Posts
First time I've seen that, but it should never have made it out of the factory.
Send em those photos and I'm sure they'll send you some new wings.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:17 PM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu flyer View Post
I purchased one of the longer wingspan skywalkers from Bevrc. Both wings have honeycomb areas. Looks like they didnt completely fill the mold with foam? Its bad on the top of one wing and leading edge, and noticable on top and bottom of the other. . Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions on what to fill these areas with? I have sent pictures to Bevrc and haven't received any response. Pics attached-- I hope
Find some color tape, tape over it and forget about it.

It doesn't look like it will affect the strength at all. The tape will cover it and make the wing look good at the same time.

Steve
Floater73 is offline Find More Posts by Floater73