HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:04 AM
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamChicago View Post
I'm flying at 3.7kgs Weight is irrelevant provided you have enough thrust and have reinforced the critical areas.
Seriously...you are flying at over 8 pounds? Wow, I thought my Twinstar was heavy at 4 lbs 6 oz!
Is that a lot of battery? I am flying with a 5100 3S and could easily add another and still be short of 8 lbs.

What do you have in there that gives you all that weight?
You have a special edition gold plated OSD?
Shadrack is online now Find More Posts by Shadrack
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:09 AM
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
Hi Guys. Looking for some advice please on SW build.

I have the EZOSD system with current sensor and using an Immersion RC VTx and GoPro as camera.
Started to layout components on one half of the fuse and quickly realised the the limitations of distance between components with the various cables / conectors.
Is it feasible to mount the EZOSD with GPS on that board to the top of wing, VTx just forward of that on rear of pod and then GoPro ahead of that on pod?
Or......do I add in cable length to get all these pieces apart?
I will be placing my vTx on the tail or out on the wing to keep that distance from the rest of the equipment as all the other equipment (ezosd/current sensor/FY31AP/ezUHF) are receivers or product that doesn't emit RF. You want to keep the vTx away from everything.

My question is whether I should be using shielded cat5e cable for the cable runs from the tail, and whether this will help reduce interference in the wire.
The ezosd needs to see the sky for the GPS and I will be using the ezuhf with the sander style antenna on the top.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:03 AM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
Thanks for posting the video. The simplest things can certainly mess up your day at times.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:05 PM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,694 Posts
And that's why I feel bad people struggle so much trying to save an gram/ounce here or there, trying bigger wings etc...it's not worth the hassle. Frankly I find RC planes fly a helll of lot better and more stable for videography with more weight and if you have the thrust, hand launching is no problem.

My extra weight is a combo of big batteries, extra stabilization and therefore bigger and heavier power plant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadrack View Post
Seriously...you are flying at over 8 pounds? Wow, I thought my Twinstar was heavy at 4 lbs 6 oz!
Is that a lot of battery? I am flying with a 5100 3S and could easily add another and still be short of 8 lbs.

What do you have in there that gives you all that weight?
You have a special edition gold plated OSD?
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:56 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,337 Posts
Adam, you shouldn't use your starter battery to power your SW
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:32 PM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,694 Posts
Well when you're using a starter for your SW motor you need the battery that goes with LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
Adam, you shouldn't use your starter battery to power your SW
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Last edited by AdamChicago; Jul 31, 2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:01 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamchicago View Post
well when you're using a starter for your sw motor you need the battery that goes with lol
lol
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by carguy1994ca; Jul 31, 2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:06 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,350 Posts
I'm planning on 2 x 5800 4S for power and 1 x 1300 3S for video. Hoping for nearly 2 hour endurance. Not sure what the weight will end up being.
hendrnk is online now Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:12 PM
Australia, NT, Lyons
Joined Oct 2010
652 Posts
Quote:
Well when you're using a starter for your SW motor you need the battery that goes with LOL
Lipo batteries are pretty common these days. Maybe you should upgrade the old lead acid. LSHMSFOAIDMT
joel0407 is online now Find More Posts by joel0407
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:02 PM View Post
motojoe996
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Cross-posting. It is temporarily hidden while motojoe996 edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:38 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookiePower View Post
I had a crash with my skywalker and had glued the pieces together with UhuPor. But after 1 1/2 day the glue is still not hard, and I'm not sure that it will work. Should I just wait one more day for the glue to be okay?
How did you apply the glue? UHUPOR is a contact glue. normally you smear both sides, then wait until both surfaces are touch dry and you join the pieces together.
this glue just grabs the surfaces in contact without going solid.
for example there is a method that consists in making hinges with the glue itself. put a thin line of glue on the aileron edge that meets with the wing and the same on the wing. let it touch dry and join.
to my surprise this works really well on EPP foam...this anecdote is to prove my point that the glue will not solidify.

I have assembled my SW with this glue with excellent results (I had to because I ran out of the supplied glue which works in a similar way)

If you just applied the glue on one side and joined the surfaces immediately then the glue seems to take ages to dry. maybe wait a couple of days
rcmonster99 is online now Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Aug 01, 2012, 05:10 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Apr 2004
464 Posts
Quote:
I'm flying at 3.7kgs Weight is irrelevant provided you have enough thrust and have reinforced the critical areas.
All this talk of weight..just checked mine..all up 2.6kilo..& I thought mine was heavy..but it does leap into the air
muduck is offline Find More Posts by muduck
Old Aug 01, 2012, 06:27 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmonster99 View Post
How did you apply the glue? UHUPOR is a contact glue. normally you smear both sides, then wait until both surfaces are touch dry and you join the pieces together.
this glue just grabs the surfaces in contact without going solid.
for example there is a method that consists in making hinges with the glue itself. put a thin line of glue on the aileron edge that meets with the wing and the same on the wing. let it touch dry and join.
to my surprise this works really well on EPP foam...this anecdote is to prove my point that the glue will not solidify.

I have assembled my SW with this glue with excellent results (I had to because I ran out of the supplied glue which works in a similar way)

If you just applied the glue on one side and joined the surfaces immediately then the glue seems to take ages to dry. maybe wait a couple of days
Or if possible, pull the pieces apart and let them touch dry then put them together again.
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Aug 01, 2012, 04:19 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Brøndbyvester
Joined Jun 2009
617 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookiePower<br />
I had a crash with my skywalker and had glued the pieces together with UhuPor. But after 1 1/2 day the glue is still not hard, and I'm not sure that it will work. Should I just wait one more day for the glue to be okay?
<br />
<br />
How did you apply the glue? UHUPOR is a contact glue. normally you smear both sides, then wait until both surfaces are touch dry and you join the pieces together.<br />
this glue just grabs the surfaces in contact without going solid.<br />
for example there is a method that consists in making hinges with the glue itself. put a thin line of glue on the aileron edge that meets with the wing and the same on the wing. let it touch dry and join.<br />
to my surprise this works really well on EPP foam...this anecdote is to prove my point that the glue will not solidify.<br />
<br />
I have assembled my SW with this glue with excellent results (I had to because I ran out of the supplied glue which works in a similar way)<br />
<br />

It seems to work now I think that I was a little too fast to put the pieces together and then I did not know that this glue will not go solid when it is dry.

- Kim -
SpookiePower is online now Find More Posts by SpookiePower
Old Aug 01, 2012, 06:52 PM
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,969 Posts
So got my skywalker today, newest version that has cf rod in the wings that goes to about 8 inches from the wingtip. Then you have the cf spar that fits in the wing as well.
My issue is that there was some dented foam in one wing and near the tail.
What is the easiest way to get the dents out?
I have an iron, is that the best way, boiling water I heard?
Going to go with the OS 1200kv 3820 and a 60A eflite esc.
Will have to check out some of the FPV builds to see what guys have done.
I have a few things to put on it.
ezuhf diversity
fy31ap
immersion 600mW vTx
will go with sander style antenna
Don't know whether I should put the vTx out on the wing, and if so what do I put on the other side to balance it out.
I was thinking maybe the fy31 gps as it needs to face up as well.
Since I want to be able to ship this plane to Montreal for the FPV event in a few weeks, wondering how many guys glue the wing together or are fine with it being more transportable?