HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:03 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamChicago View Post
Here's my setup that has worked out great...have tried several other antenna locations but this one seemed to eliminate interference and greatly improve range:

Basically the Cloverleaf CP antenna is on the wing tip with VTx with mini-heatsinks venting out bottom of wing. Am using a shielded USB cable to run the video from OSD out to wingtip with multi torroids on it.

Placed the to TSLR Rx antennas through the main wing on either side of fuse and at slight angles taped to wooden skewers.
I have mine in the same location, but am using a normal servo wire from the OSD to the VTX. Since using the shielded wire, how did you do the disconnect at the wing saddle?

Sub,.
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:15 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauromassari View Post
Hey, did you copy my ideia, no problem with that at all we are here to help too and if not you are just like me, I've been using this for a long time and the heat metal I took of from a bad video card from a computer, it is aluminun and very light weight, it works really well and drop my temperature around 6C to 10C.

Cheers,
Mauro
I got my heatsink from radioshack. It's aluminum too and adds not very
much weight to the VTx, certainly a worthwhile trade for the temperature drop.

-Blues
Blueshy is offline Find More Posts by Blueshy
Old Jul 30, 2012, 09:13 PM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,694 Posts
I have all the wires just coming out of the bottom of where the wings join...just cut a slot all the end and cut out maybe a square inch underneath of both halves right where they touch so there's room for two halves to join with all the wires dangling down into the fuse. The top portion of the wing is untouched so the airflow isn't interrupted and 90% of the rest of the end (beginning, whatever) of the wing is intact so to two halves can be braced up against each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
I have mine in the same location, but am using a normal servo wire from the OSD to the VTX. Since using the shielded wire, how did you do the disconnect at the wing saddle?

Sub,.
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:26 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
How are you guys attaching the rubber bands on the wings??? I can't seem to get mine attached correctly and there is still lots of play in the wings to fuselage attachment.

Thanks
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:04 AM
Australia, NT, Lyons
Joined Oct 2010
636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
How are you guys attaching the rubber bands on the wings??? I can't seem to get mine attached correctly and there is still lots of play in the wings to fuselage attachment.

Thanks
Flick back a few pages, mate. You'll see a youtube vid of how to do it. I have Quoted it a couple of time so it might make it quicker if you search my member name.

Happy Days.
joel0407 is offline Find More Posts by joel0407
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:13 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamChicago View Post
I have all the wires just coming out of the bottom of where the wings join...just cut a slot all the end and cut out maybe a square inch underneath of both halves right where they touch so there's room for two halves to join with all the wires dangling down into the fuse. The top portion of the wing is untouched so the airflow isn't interrupted and 90% of the rest of the end (beginning, whatever) of the wing is intact so to two halves can be braced up against each other.
Ah, so you plug long VTX wires from the wing into the OSD each time you mate the wing. Got it.

I have another set of connectors in the cavity below the wing for servos and video TX. There are permanently fixed flyleads down to the OSD. I use the opposite gender plugs for the video system so I don’t mix the vtx plug with a servo plug. BZZZT!!

I figured that in a crash, I just wanted the connectors to pull apart as the wing departs, rather than yanking directly on the OSD pins. This approach though makes it difficult to have a shielded video cable from the OSD to the VTX.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:15 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,128 Posts
Quote:

Thanks
I found that the method described in the video did not make the bands tight enough for me. I doubled my bands over and use all 4. The connection is "flexible", but isn't going to come apart in flight. There have been too many SW's lost to this in the early days.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:43 AM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
Still can't find the video??? Any help???

I think the wings seperating contributed to my crash today. So I'm trying to figure out a more rigid attachment method.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:20 AM
United Kingdom, Southend-on-Sea
Joined Feb 2011
307 Posts
Quote:
Still can't find the video??? Any help???

I think the wings seperating contributed to my crash today. So I'm trying to figure out a more rigid attachment method.
Here you go

Skywalker rubber band installation. (1 min 29 sec)
papa_lazerous is offline Find More Posts by papa_lazerous
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:30 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Brøndbyvester
Joined Jun 2009
617 Posts
I had a crash with my skywalker and had glued the pieces together with UhuPor. But after 1 1/2 day the glue is still not hard, and I'm not sure that it will work. Should I just wait one more day for the glue to be okay?
SpookiePower is offline Find More Posts by SpookiePower
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:00 AM
www.shop.trisembly.co.za
South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
1,583 Posts
Add some skewers to stiffen that tail as well..
rcimports is offline Find More Posts by rcimports
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:01 AM
Joined Mar 2012
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEVRC View Post
The 1900 wings and 1880 wings are different, size first, the biggest difference is the wing type, the 1880 use the same wing type as 1680, just make the wing area bigger, the 1900 is a totally different wing type, for the purpose of payload and cruise time, not only simply increase the wing area.

There is little difference for 1900 white and black except color, but just the wing angle diffs by 1 degree, there is an easy way to improve the white 1900 climbing performance, elevate the leading edge by adding a around 6mm wood piece to have a 1 degree angle as the black 1900 black version.
Hi BEV, if you wich is the best wheigt for s.w. 168??

I use 2x 4s 4000 and 1x 3s 1000 for the video....is it too fat???
thanks
TheSecretAviator is offline Find More Posts by TheSecretAviator
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:27 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
Hi Guys. Looking for some advice please on SW build.

I have the EZOSD system with current sensor and using an Immersion RC VTx and GoPro as camera.
Started to layout components on one half of the fuse and quickly realised the the limitations of distance between components with the various cables / conectors.
Is it feasible to mount the EZOSD with GPS on that board to the top of wing, VTx just forward of that on rear of pod and then GoPro ahead of that on pod?
Or......do I add in cable length to get all these pieces apart?
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:54 AM
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,694 Posts
Why not put servo plugs on the shielded video cable so it connects like the rest? It will cause an inch or so not to be shielded but at least in my case no internal interference is making its way through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
Ah, so you plug long VTX wires from the wing into the OSD each time you mate the wing. Got it.

I have another set of connectors in the cavity below the wing for servos and video TX. There are permanently fixed flyleads down to the OSD. I use the opposite gender plugs for the video system so I don’t mix the vtx plug with a servo plug. BZZZT!!

I figured that in a crash, I just wanted the connectors to pull apart as the wing departs, rather than yanking directly on the OSD pins. This approach though makes it difficult to have a shielded video cable from the OSD to the VTX.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:57 AM
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,694 Posts
I'm flying at 3.7kgs Weight is irrelevant provided you have enough thrust and have reinforced the critical areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSecretAviator View Post
Hi BEV, if you wich is the best wheigt for s.w. 168??

I use 2x 4s 4000 and 1x 3s 1000 for the video....is it too fat???
thanks