HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:31 AM
Joined May 2005
1,185 Posts
Think I have the time.. weather have been like this the last 3 weeks, and it`s supposed to rain the next 7 days also

arr
liteglow is offline Find More Posts by liteglow
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:33 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,457 Posts
Ouch ! Time to build a new plane !
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:06 AM
TromsÝ / Norway
Joined Nov 2009
80 Posts
Liteglow: Looks like BodÝ?
Same weather in TromsÝ... F...!!!
Kaspers1 is offline Find More Posts by Kaspers1
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:08 AM
Foam Snow
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Aug 2011
1,325 Posts
Plane is perfect, weather is perfect, I have spare time, but car broke down, waiting on new one. I realised the most important accessory of my SW is my car...
heinduplessis is offline Find More Posts by heinduplessis
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:01 AM
Brasil, CE, Fortaleza
Joined Jun 2011
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinduplessis View Post
Plane is perfect, weather is perfect, I have spare time, but car broke down, waiting on new one. I realised the most important accessory of my SW is my car...
That is a must have..... , Plane is fine, weather is fine, I don't have a spare time, but my car is not broken.....

Mauro
mauromassari is offline Find More Posts by mauromassari
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:04 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,457 Posts
Don't forget the computer: No computer, no skywalker !
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:31 AM
www.shop.trisembly.co.za
South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
1,570 Posts
Crap, it's dark now.....
rcimports is offline Find More Posts by rcimports
Old Jul 24, 2012, 01:01 PM
Brasil, CE, Fortaleza
Joined Jun 2011
1,100 Posts
Easy, go for a Night Long Range Flight.....
mauromassari is offline Find More Posts by mauromassari
Old Jul 24, 2012, 01:34 PM
www.shop.trisembly.co.za
South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
1,570 Posts
Still growing a pair!
rcimports is offline Find More Posts by rcimports
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:36 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,457 Posts
Now that I have RTH, I'd like to try night flying, just have to find a place that has some lights I could easily recognize so I could use them as landmark.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:39 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,465 Posts
Big lit parking lot or a street that ends near your launch/landing
area is usually enough. Most of the cameras we use can see in the dark
a lot better than our eyes do. Just be sure there are city lights all the
way around you to orient on. My first night flight was in rural Kansas,
and there were only lights visible for about 90 degrees out of 360, and it
was jet black the other 270. That eventually led to the plane splatting
down hard in an open field because a banked turn, eventually turned into
a dive.

Next night flight was from a cul de sac at the end of a street having a
J hook shape I could see fairly easily from a mile away.
Also parked my car in the middle the cul de sac with the high beams
left on pointing in the general direction I planned to fly.

Since then most of my night flights have been with tricopter just buzzing
around lit parks and parking lots.

All done without RTH or even OSD.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:30 PM
Outta Sight
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Jul 2008
929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
..... That eventually led to the plane splatting
down hard in an open field because a banked turn, eventually turned into
a dive......
......All done without RTH or even OSD.

ian
There's an important lesson there.
RolandS888 is offline Find More Posts by RolandS888
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:43 PM
Joined Jan 2011
94 Posts
FPV night flying

I use super bright blue LED Lights
From the air it looks like when your on approach in a FS plane
LEDs are pretty cheap these days. I purchased mine for $0.99 for 3 feet so my nighttime runway is 24ft long X 9ft wide

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
Now that I have RTH, I'd like to try night flying, just have to find a place that has some lights I could easily recognize so I could use them as landmark.
GuyPilot is online now Find More Posts by GuyPilot
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:14 PM
Canberra, Australia
Joined Oct 2010
540 Posts
My Skywalker died yesterday RIP.

My Skywalker only made 2 flights and I know I flew it far rougher than it was designed for. It wasn't my intention, just my inexperience. All the planes I have had up until now whilst maybe not designed for hard flight would not exhibit too bad traits if flown too hard.

My AXN floater Jet preferred to glide around but I could pull full up elevator to do loops, it took some work to do a smooth roll due to the wing dihedral but it got there in the end. I could hold full throttle for the entire battery and zip around the sky with no fear of wings lifting or flutter or anything really. The dihedral also made it hard to keep it flying upside down. I've lost count of how many of these I've built, half were damaged more in transport than those crashed. About the only thing that would make it fall from the sky was if I pulled full rudder in the opposite direction to ailerons and even then as soon as I released it would straighten. As the AXN was my first plane coming from a 450 size Heli, I could fly vertical to get plenty of height before trying anything too adventurous.

I had a Bixler which was less agile than the AXN but control was much the same, just slower.

I cant do anything control wise to make my Falcon wing fall from the sky. The only thing stopping me from holding the throtle at full is the motor is too big and pulls too much current from the batteries causing my battery alarm to come on.

I have an AXN which would roll during up elevator but it had a pretty badly damaged horizontal stabilizer (HS). The HS had been folded during transport and I just folded it back. The bend had made it soft and it just gave way during full up elevator which caused a spiral instead of a loop. It took very little to pull out and fly straight though.

Please don't misunderstand my following comments. I am buying another as I still think its the best value FPV plane going. It's got it's problems but I just needed to be aware of them.

The Sky Walker (SW) on the other hand is far from easy to fly, for me anyway. I'm pretty sure I have the power to go vertical but I cant control it to get it that steep. I feel the plane is just too flimsy. I think the Horizontal Stabilizer is giving way and flopping about under up elevator. The whole tail just flops about and I believe that's what caused my plane to flip when pulling out of a dive and then spiral to it's death yesterday. I'll be adding the kebab skewers to my next SW, not because I want to fly hard but sometimes I get in situations where I'll pull full control surface to right the plane and it then that I need it to fly.

I was only flying LOS trying to test some auto pilot stuff. It was pretty close and easy to see. The wings didn't lift and there was no aileron input.

Skywalker spiral to death (0 min 13 sec)
joel0407 is offline Find More Posts by joel0407
Last edited by joel0407; Jul 24, 2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:17 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel0407 View Post
My Skywalker died yesterday RIP.

My Skywalker only made 2 flights and I know I flew it far rougher than it was designed for. It wasn't my intention, just my inexperience. All the planes I have had up until now whilst maybe not designed for hard flight would not exhibit too bad traits if flown too hard.

The Sky Walker (SW) on the other hand is far from easy to fly, for me anyway. I'm pretty sure I have the power to go vertical but I cant control it to get it that steep. I feel the plane is just too flimsy. I think the Horizontal Stabilizer is giving way and flopping about under up elevator. The whole tail just flops about and I believe that's what caused my plane to flip when pulling out of a dive and then spiral to it's death yesterday. I'll be adding the kebab skewers to my next SW, not because I want to fly hard but sometimes I get in situations where I'll pull full control surface to right the plane and it then that I need it to fly.

I was only flying LOS trying to test some auto pilot stuff. It was pretty close and easy to see. The wings didn't lift and there was no aileron input.
Mate, that is bad news.

From your video, it looks like there was a big pitch up response that put the aircraft into a spin. The aircraft was in a tight right turn at about the 3 second mark, and something caused it to pitch up. Was that you? It entered a spin from then on. What did you do to try and recover it? The correct response would be to neutralise the controls, even pushing down if you have to, in order to un stall the wing and fly out. If the aircraft was in a proper developed spin, pulling up elevator might give the appearance that something is broken, or bending, but the real story is that the wing is just stalled and so no amount of up elevator will pull it out. Fairly typical of models like this.

I was flying with a mate of mine a few months ago who was a new pilot at the time. He had one of those cloud sky planes. He managed to get it into a fully developed spin and could not recover it. After it hit the ground, I looked over at his radio. Sure enough, he was still holding full up elevator and no throttle. He now practices spins and can initiate and end them at will. Pattern flyers will practice two and three full turn spins. The idea is to enter and exit on the same line along the strip.

Further, are you sure it is permanently dead? Sounds like youíve had a few foamies like this before, so I guess you know what is repairable and what isnít. Itís just that Iím always surprised how easy they are to repair and how good they look after.

Sub.
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic