SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 21, 2012, 03:50 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,667 Posts
You'll get a lot more rigidity by adding light carbon stiffeners into the surfaces of the stab and/or
boom than you will linking together relatively small diameter round rods along their centerline.
It's basic physics.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:18 PM
Australia, NT, Lyons
Joined Oct 2010
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
You'll get a lot more rigidity by adding light carbon stiffeners into the surfaces of the stab and/or
boom than you will linking together relatively small diameter round rods along their centerline.
It's basic physics.

ian
+1

Also if you are trying to achieve a more rigid horizontal stabilizer, you and better of with the stays at an angle like the kebab skewers that are often recommended. I believe the flex comes from the small area that the horizontal stabilizer attaches to the vertical stabilizer.

Happy Days
joel0407 is online now Find More Posts by joel0407
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:22 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,667 Posts
Small area and squishy foam. When I run my carbon stiffeners up the sides of the vertical
stab I run them all the way up to the top of the saddle, and that helps stabilize
the foam there on either side, so the horizontal stab doesn't rock as much.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:32 PM
Australia, NT, Lyons
Joined Oct 2010
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Small area and squishy foam. When I run my carbon stiffeners up the sides of the vertical
stab I run them all the way up to the top of the saddle, and that helps stabilize
the foam there on either side, so the horizontal stab doesn't rock as much.

ian
It would be interesting to try running them up each side and then running even a short length across the horizontal stabilizer like a " T " configuration.

I haven't done anything yet as I'm not flying very aggressively (at least not on purpose) and I'm heavy to what I want it to be. My FPV pod needs lightening and then I might afford the weight to strengthen the tail.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:39 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,855 Posts
Tried the RTH on the SW today, pretty stable without any stabilisation. Even when wind gusts or thermals tried to disrupt the plane's flying path, the RTH could easily control the plane. Nice !

It's good to be back in the SW after a month of tricopter flying. Long distance FPV is fun
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:27 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,851 Posts
Well here is my listing for my Skywalker:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post22229308
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:42 AM
The way of being is doing.
Italia, Emilia Romagna, Ravenna
Joined Apr 2009
434 Posts
Hello guys,
I fly with a Zephyr FPV but I write in this section to do a favor for a friend who just bought a Skywalker, but that hasn't an internet access at the moment.

First, my friend wants to know if it is necessary to reinforce the wing and fuselage of the Skywalker?

Second, could you give me some advice on the distribution of the material FPV (TXV, OSD, etc.) on board the model.. so I can tell to him ?
IMEIV is offline Find More Posts by IMEIV
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:57 AM
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,865 Posts
There are a ton of configs on here IMEIV if you search. Probably 2 forums that have the distribution of the fpv equipment on the plane.
Just make sure that you have the vTx far away from the receiver.
That is most important.
Other than that, you are kind of limited as you need the gps on an osd have access to the sky, so that mounts on top.
Shadrack is offline Find More Posts by Shadrack
Old Jul 22, 2012, 03:38 AM
Foam Snow
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Aug 2011
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel0407 View Post
Shrinking? I just remove and then reinstall the pins.
I'm confused. The stock servo wires & plugs fit through the tube easily?
heinduplessis is offline Find More Posts by heinduplessis
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:15 AM
Australia, NT, Lyons
Joined Oct 2010
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinduplessis View Post
The plugs on the end dont.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:19 AM
FPV 23Km
Portugal, Faro
Joined Dec 2011
260 Posts
Quote:
Hi

If you remove the plastic plug
lbarreiro is online now Find More Posts by lbarreiro
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:28 AM
ITALY
Joined Aug 2006
418 Posts
thanks Mauro
but will it have some effects on fy31??

anyway it really difficult to have cg at 25 mm behind the servo wire with a gopro and a fpv camera on the nose.... (4s 5000mah and 3s 1800 mah for the fpv stuff,..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauromassari View Post
I had the same issue and what I did is a little mix with throtle and elevator, so when you give throtle the elevator make the adjustments, just a very little percentage will do the job. This is my 2 cents ideia.

Mauro
brifa is offline Find More Posts by brifa
Old Jul 22, 2012, 05:25 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2006
538 Posts
Quote:
JR plugs fit through the boom but Futaba have that lip on them and they don't fit unless you trim them.
helichoper is offline Find More Posts by helichoper
Old Jul 22, 2012, 05:29 AM
United States, IN, Carmel
Joined Jan 2008
2,558 Posts
I am going to "recommission" my old Skywalker after a couple of years. (You can read my old posts back in this thread...)

I bought this plane from Low Price RC back in july 2010 and I remember that it flew decently back then without FPV gear on. I usually mark with a Sharpie the optimal CoG after the first test flights but for some reason I didn't do it back then and now I forgot the place.
I vaguely remember something about the servo wire being the right point but I am not sure and I might mix it up with another foamie.

Searching through this huge thread I read that alot of new versions have been marketed since then and alot of posts mention conflicting CoG. On the servo wire, 25mm behind, 75mm from the leading edge,etc.

Could you please remind me which version do I have and Most Importantly what's the consensus about the optimal CoG for this particular version? Like I said it was bought exactly 2 years ago.

/Dimitrios

PS I am looking at my old model memory settings and I see that I had it trimmed in-flight with quite some up elevator....
Dimitris76 is offline Find More Posts by Dimitris76
Old Jul 22, 2012, 05:35 AM
Outta Sight
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Jul 2008
929 Posts
15mm to as far as 30mm behind the servo wires.
Lose the up elevator trim completely, adjust your elevator throws to a small amount (+/-5mm) for normal rate.
Ian flys at 30mm, I find that a little tail heavy. Personal preference I suppose.
If you had heaps of up trim previously then I suspect you had it balanced too far forward, like on the servo wires.
RolandS888 is offline Find More Posts by RolandS888