HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:46 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,203 Posts
Adding carbon spars to prevent the wing breaking is different than adding them for rigidity.
I'm primarily concerned with rigidity because this wing will flutter at high speeds.

That one piece wing decision may come back to bite you, as it doesn't take all that much
to break the stock joiner and then there's no way to replace it. Happened to someone
a few pages back.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:22 AM
Canberra, Australia
Joined Oct 2010
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Adding carbon spars to prevent the wing breaking is different than adding them for rigidity.
I'm primarily concerned with rigidity because this wing will flutter at high speeds.
It may not be as ridged as top and bottom but it must increase rigidity considerably. The flex is as much part strech on the bottom as it is compression on the top. Adding CF strip on the bottom takes all the strech out of the bottom.

Doesn't worry me any way as I have added top and bottom, although not in the thickest part of the wing as you pointed out previously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
That one piece wing decision may come back to bite you, as it doesn't take all that much
to break the stock joiner and then there's no way to replace it. Happened to someone
a few pages back.

ian
Thats why my CF stips pass right across the middle without joins.
joel0407 is offline Find More Posts by joel0407
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:33 AM
Joined Jun 2004
839 Posts
The downside I can see to having them both on one side only is that when pulled in one direction the spars can pull out of the foam. With one on each side, at least one spar is resisting that as it has foam above it.

I think I've negated much of that by using 10mm wide strip which I took great care to squeeze in as tight and deep and nicely wicked in CA. Certainly they are vastly improved in stiffness already.
Dogzilla is offline Find More Posts by Dogzilla
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:05 AM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,650 Posts
Here's another video...mixed Skywalker and Zephyr, see if you can tell which is which

Just discovered the DVR was set for "High Compression" on the OSD shot towards the end which I have been disappointed in the resolution so am glad to see it should be improved for future footage not that I changed the setting

Shoe Factory FPV 7-15-12 (3 min 15 sec)
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Last edited by AdamChicago; Jul 20, 2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:31 PM
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,364 Posts
Think the shadows give it away!
I want that flying field!!
Shadrack is online now Find More Posts by Shadrack
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:54 AM
John
United States, WA, Mason
Joined Apr 2011
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamChicago View Post
Here's another video...mixed Skywalker and Zephyr, see if you can tell which is which

https://vimeo.com/45949778
Looks like the Zepher has a GoPro. Is the Skywalker camera a GoPro with a different lens ? -- JOHN
digitalCAM is offline Find More Posts by digitalCAM
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:03 AM
Australia, VIC, Dandenong
Joined Jul 2010
69 Posts
is it appropriate if i post a few pics of the skywalker V6 here? and get a few building tips of it, and people could get a glimpse of it as well.
Alyas is offline Find More Posts by Alyas
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:14 AM
Outta Sight
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Jul 2008
928 Posts
Go for it, the more the merrier.
RolandS888 is offline Find More Posts by RolandS888
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:25 AM
Canberra, Australia
Joined Oct 2010
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyas View Post
is it appropriate if i post a few pics of the skywalker V6 here? and get a few building tips of it, and people could get a glimpse of it as well.
Go for it. Lets see it.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:34 AM
Canberra, Australia
Joined Oct 2010
540 Posts
Hey guys.

Today was the maiden for my Skywalker. The plan was a little trimming and some Dragon OSD Auto Pilot testing.

I was surprised by how much trimming it took. I haven't measures the control surface adjustments yet but it seemed like a lot when I was clicking the trim again and again.

Anyway while trimming I got into more of a dive than I wanted. I pulled back more and more. The more I pulled with little effect the faster I pulled until the following happened (see Vid). I suspect my wing lifted. It just flipped so quick. I thought it was just going to fall right out of the sky.

Also need to add that I haven't calibrated the Current sensor yet. The OSD showed 10amp cruising but my Castle ESC recorded 6amp.

And I crashed at the end. It was only very minor with no damage. The Skywalker just kept on floating. It floated right past where I was standing at the beginning of the runway. I thought I would get it down by the end but it over shot. I couldn't throttle up and come around again because I was too late to to get height over some trees at the end. I landed before the trees but in a ditch.

With OSD
Skywalker Flip (0 min 25 sec)

In my youtube rendered HD vid, now 480p
HD Skywalker Flip (0 min 36 sec)
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:32 AM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,650 Posts
Nope flew the same cam/lens on both planes...there's a chance I changed the setting for which level of wide-angle, now I'm going to have to back and analyze

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalCAM View Post
Looks like the Zepher has a GoPro. Is the Skywalker camera a GoPro with a different lens ? -- JOHN
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Last edited by AdamChicago; Jul 19, 2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:22 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel0407 View Post
Hey guys.

Today was the maiden for my Skywalker. The plan was a little trimming and some Dragon OSD Auto Pilot testing.

I was surprised by how much trimming it took. I haven't measures the control surface adjustments yet but it seemed like a lot when I was clicking the trim again and again.

Anyway while trimming I got into more of a dive than I wanted. I pulled back more and more. The more I pulled with little effect the faster I pulled until the following happened (see Vid). I suspect my wing lifted. It just flipped so quick. I thought it was just going to fall right out of the sky.

Also need to add that I haven't calibrated the Current sensor yet. The OSD showed 10amp cruising but my Castle ESC recorded 6amp.

And I crashed at the end. It was only very minor with no damage. The Skywalker just kept on floating. It floated right past where I was standing at the beginning of the runway. I thought I would get it down by the end but it over shot. I couldn't throttle up and come around again because I was too late to to get height over some trees at the end. I landed before the trees but in a ditch.

With OSD
Wow that was a wild ride I assume that was a LOS flight?

Two things I'd recommend.

1) Try using some of the "other" power settings.
2) It certainly looked like your wing lifted off when at a high power setting in a dive. You would never intentionally fly the aircraft this way, but it makes sense to have enough elastic tension so that if it did happen accidentally things will stay together. you just need to add more bands, a different type, or do as I did with the stock bands and doubled them over, using all 4 supplied.
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:24 PM
Canberra, Australia
Joined Oct 2010
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
Wow that was a wild ride I assume that was a LOS flight?
Yep, LOS, testing Dragon OSD Auto Pilot and trimming the Skywalker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
1) Try using some of the "other" power settings.
2) It certainly looked like your wing lifted off when at a high power setting in a dive. You would never intentionally fly the aircraft this way, but it makes sense to have enough elastic tension so that if it did happen accidentally things will stay together. you just need to add more bands, a different type, or do as I did with the stock bands and doubled them over, using all 4 supplied.
I was backing off, trying not to make any sudden movements. I'm sure I had my rates far too high. I might not have been right off the throttle but It wasn't on much. The OSD shows 6amp but it's not calibrated. 10amp on the OSD is only about 6 so 6 must be only 3 - 4 amp.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:19 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel0407 View Post
Yep, LOS, testing Dragon OSD Auto Pilot and trimming the Skywalker.

I was backing off, trying not to make any sudden movements. I'm sure I had my rates far too high. I might not have been right off the throttle but It wasn't on much. The OSD shows 6amp but it's not calibrated. 10amp on the OSD is only about 6 so 6 must be only 3 - 4 amp.
Ah, it just sounded like high power then. Yep, with the CG where it needs to be on this plane, control throws should be set farile low on the elevator. I think mine only has about 10mm up and down. It is ample.

Definitely need to re assess your wing retention then. More rubber I say!
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic