HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 06, 2010, 02:14 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2008
736 Posts
Discussion
How do I do a snap roll?

Guys can I just confirm how to do this. A snap roll is full up elevator, full left aileron and full right rudder correct?
Mattvr1ck is offline Find More Posts by Mattvr1ck
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2010, 02:47 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
It all depends on the airframe. For 3d planes, it's mainly punching WOT quickly going into it, then giving full up elevator, and full right aileron/rudder (or left). For inverted, you give it opposite aileron as rudder.

Then for sport planes, some will like to do it better inverted than upright, and others will like to do them upright. Then SOME will do it the same either way
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Apr 06, 2010, 07:12 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2008
736 Posts
How about that, thats what I thought it was. But for some reason I cant seem to do blenders on the sim using 3D planes. I climb high, put it into a dive with little throttle, left aileron for a few revolutions, then full down elevator and right rudder and medium power. Plane sort of goes into a spin, but its certainly not flat and it keeps falling. Stupid hobby, why is it so hard
Old Apr 06, 2010, 09:01 AM
Silent but deadly
Cataula, Ga
Joined Mar 2005
799 Posts
I thought if you were rolling left, you would give left rudder to make the left wing drop faster. Isn't that what makes it snap over?
CRASH_Jim is offline Find More Posts by CRASH_Jim
Old Apr 06, 2010, 10:26 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,372 Posts
That's what I thought too. At least that's how I've been doing them. Bang both sticks left or right = snap roll.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Apr 06, 2010, 11:06 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,861 Posts
Both sticks in the same direction for a snap. slightly off topic I know, but I've been doing what I was told was a "sullivan" roll. A really cool maneuver, basically a snap but with opposite rudder. You lead slightly with the elevator and it's always a climbing maneuver. Come down the runway, full throttle, lead with up elevator, hard aileron and hard opposite rudder. If you're disciplined enough to always lead with the elevator, you can do it on takeoff, if not, well ......

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Apr 06, 2010, 11:44 AM
Sleepy Hollow, IL
Joined Dec 2008
456 Posts
The June 2010 issue of MODEL AIRPLANE NEWS has a whole story on how to do snap rolls with all of the positions of the transmitter controls.

ampmaker
ampmaker is offline Find More Posts by ampmaker
Old Apr 06, 2010, 01:23 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattvr1ck View Post
How about that, thats what I thought it was. But for some reason I cant seem to do blenders on the sim using 3D planes. I climb high, put it into a dive with little throttle, left aileron for a few revolutions, then full down elevator and right rudder and medium power. Plane sort of goes into a spin, but its certainly not flat and it keeps falling. Stupid hobby, why is it so hard
No, you'll need left rudder if you're rolling left. Right rudder is going to push it out of the blender
Old Apr 06, 2010, 01:29 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
Both sticks in the same direction for a snap. slightly off topic I know, but I've been doing what I was told was a "sullivan" roll. A really cool maneuver, basically a snap but with opposite rudder. You lead slightly with the elevator and it's always a climbing maneuver. Come down the runway, full throttle, lead with up elevator, hard aileron and hard opposite rudder. If you're disciplined enough to always lead with the elevator, you can do it on takeoff, if not, well ......

Azarr
Sullivan Roll!
Guess that's what I do .. It just looks so pretty and flies right out of it when released.
Though I think I am leading with the rudder. Now I will make a conscious effort to lead with the elevator.
Thanks
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Apr 06, 2010, 01:32 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,689 Posts
I don't think that's right. If you're inverted, you want right rudder. (this is for a blender, which Mike says ends in an inverted snap roll)

http://www.quicktechhobby.com/articl...mcconville.htm
Bigster is online now Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Apr 06, 2010, 03:53 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2008
736 Posts
Thats what I read, but I just cant seem to do it. It doesnt sound very hard to do, but my plane just slowly spirals down to the dirt. Maybe Im letting it dive too long and build up too much speed, I dont know
Old Apr 06, 2010, 04:20 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,689 Posts
"slowly spirals to the ground" sounds just like an inverted flat spin, which is essentially what you want. If it is flat, the addition of a little throttle will keep it from descending quickly. If it isn't flat, it will race to the ground faster.
Bigster is online now Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Apr 06, 2010, 04:52 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
No, you'll need left rudder if you're rolling left. Right rudder is going to push it out of the blender
He said "snap roll", not blender.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Apr 06, 2010, 04:53 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
^But in this post he was talking about blenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattvr1ck View Post
Old Apr 06, 2010, 08:16 PM
Aircrafting is noisey...what?!
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Dec 2005
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampmaker View Post
The June 2010 issue of MODEL AIRPLANE NEWS has a whole story on how to do snap rolls with all of the positions of the transmitter controls.

ampmaker
Is that out already or are you from ythe future?
charlieoneseven is offline Find More Posts by charlieoneseven