HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 02, 2003, 09:42 AM
toothpick maker
Hollywood, MD
Joined Mar 2003
145 Posts
Third time is a charm

I did it, I finally beat the battery. On my third flight attempt everything went perfectly. Friday was the first flyable evening in a month. It was dead calm outside, I couldn't ask for a better evening. I met up with a friend of mine to go flying at a local school. The back field where I usually fly had a little league game going on so we decided to try to fly in the front parking lot. I was a little worried because of the amount of time that had passed since I was last able to fly (It seems like it has been raining here forever) and the fact that there were way more obstacles (trees, lamp posts) out front that I would be forced to fly around. My friend tossed his T-52 in the air as I prepared myself and planned out my intended flight path. I am happy to report that it was just like riding a bike. I did an ROG with my DuskStik and kept it up for the duration of battery. My two week old slightly used battery allowed me about 15 mins. of calm flight.

I didn't panic and over control when I would temporaraly lose orientation of the plane. This was a major accomplishment for me and had been the cause of a few close calls and minor mishaps on prior attempts at flying. The landing was a little rough but not bad all in all. To the casual observer it was a boring flight but to me it was a grand accomplishment. Soon I will be ready for the next step. I already have my second plane picked out and will be ordering it soon. A Dandy Sport from Mountain Models . If it is as easy to learn on as my DuskStik I'll be an expert in no time.

The DuskStik is such a relaxing plane to fly that it will be a permanet resident in my hangar. I just can't praise it enough as a trainer. Its tough and easy to fly. Even my flying buddy, who is much more advanced than I, seemed impressed by its flight characteristics.
Hollywood Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Hollywood Flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2003, 10:39 AM
North Vancouver, BC, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
170 Posts
Congratualtions!!

I get lots of good comments on the flight characteristics of my DuskStik. I have been soaring with it lately. With LiPoly batteries I usually bring it down after 30 minutes. It has about 200 flights on it.

mike i.
mimai is offline Find More Posts by mimai
Old Jun 02, 2003, 10:58 AM
toothpick maker
Hollywood, MD
Joined Mar 2003
145 Posts
Li-Poly question

I was considering getting Li-Polys for mine. But I wasn't sure what their weight is compared to the 7 cell packs I currently use. Did you have to do anything special to adjust the CG with the Li-Polys or are they pretty much an even substitute weight wise?
Old Jun 02, 2003, 11:23 AM
North Vancouver, BC, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
170 Posts
The LiPoly pack is a 2s1p 1020 mahr Kokam pack. It is a bit lighter than the 7-cell 220 nimh pack that I had previously used. I just move the pack as far forward as I can go and it balances. I had also set-up the DuskStik with a 7-cell 150 mahr nimh pack for indoors with no problem.

mike i.
mimai is offline Find More Posts by mimai
Old Jun 02, 2003, 12:45 PM
I ain't got it!!!
USA, SC, Spartanburg
Joined Apr 2001
867 Posts
Hollywood,
Good job on the flight Friday night. It was nice seeing you fly silly circles around my T-52! Bring on the Dandy!!!!

Adam
Flying Low is offline Find More Posts by Flying Low
Old Jun 02, 2003, 12:51 PM
Smooth Air
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Joined Apr 2003
1,500 Posts
Re: Third time is a charm

Quote:
Originally posted by Hollywood Flyer
This was a major accomplishment for me and had been the cause of a few close calls and minor mishaps on prior attempts at flying. The landing was a little rough but not bad all in all. To the casual observer it was a boring flight but to me it was a grand accomplishment. Soon I will be ready for the next step. I already have my second plane picked out and will be ordering it soon. A Dandy Sport from Mountain Models . If it is as easy to learn on as my DuskStik I'll be an expert in no time.
Congratulations on your flight! My opinion is, when your beginning, (one newbie to another) that every safe landing is a good landing, and what might occur to you as a boring flight, is interesting and enjoyable by those flying that can't fly.

Great going!
Morb is offline Find More Posts by Morb
Old Jun 02, 2003, 02:24 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Congrats on the successful flights!

==I was considering getting Li-Polys for mine==

If you're flying the stock DX-A setup on your Duskstik, you can expect great run times in the 30+ minute range on li-polys.

==But I wasn't sure what their weight is compared to the 7 cell packs I currently use==

You can use any of the following with a DX-A:

2x700 E Tec- 1.2 ounces
2x1200 E Tec- 1.9 oz.
2x1020 Kokams- 1.6 oz.

Compare those weights to NiMH:
7x300 NiMH- 2.0 oz.
8x300 NiMH- 2.3 oz.

I ran 2x1020 Kokams on my DX-A powered Tiger Moth, the only time I flew the pack out I got just over 50 minutes flight time. The 1200's would be more, the 700's less.

==Did you have to do anything special to adjust the CG with the Li-Polys or are they pretty much an even substitute weight wise?==

You should always re-check your CG when making a battery pack change. You should have the CG marked under your wing with pieces of tape or pinstripe, etc. That way you can check it even out at the field by balancing on your fingertips. I use a couple of 2" long strips of clear tape, they're pretty much invisible until I want to check the CG. On foam planes I mark the CG line on the underside of the wing with pencil. Try to balance by shifting the battery weight rather than adding lead to the plane. You will probably have to slide the pack forward because it's likely lighter than what you're using now. You might find the plane flies better with li-poly packs because of the weight savings too
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Jun 03, 2003, 08:28 AM
toothpick maker
Hollywood, MD
Joined Mar 2003
145 Posts
Thanks for the info on the Li-Poly and 7 cell pack weights. That really did help alot!! I was concerned about the CG on mine because my current 7 cell packs sit almost all the way forward on my battery mount to get it balanced. I wasn't sure if the weight difference was going to be significant enough that I was going to need to add extra weight to the nose. The 1200 E Tecs look like the right choice for me as they are so close I can probabaly get it adjusted without adding weight

Right now I can pull 20-30 min out of my fully charged packs. I can't wait to see what I can get out of the Li-Polys