HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2010, 08:30 PM
Joined Feb 2009
822 Posts
Discussion
Anyone else up for a woodie forum?

We now have forums for steam and scale sail. It would be nice to have one for the old woodies such as Minette, Greavette, Dodge etc. I just went looking for a set of Dodge Watercar plans that were drawn by Gary Griswold back in the '90's and google found nothing. Another piece of model boat history lost. I personally am very fond of the old goldcup boats like Baby Bootlegger, Scotty and others but plans are difficult to find and a focused forum might help preserve this history.

Opinions, discussion?
Nederlander is offline Find More Posts by Nederlander
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2010, 08:35 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,186 Posts
Sorry ..I thought you were going to discuss the Male urology..

While I havent a clue wwhat your talking about ..you have tickled my interest ..curiousity as it is ..
more coffee is offline Find More Posts by more coffee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hi!
Old Apr 04, 2010, 09:30 PM
United States, NJ, Waldwick
Joined Jan 2009
152 Posts
I would enjoy it, my family has been restoring the 1:1 woodies for over 40 years. I also am very fond of the old Gold Cup race boats. Have rode in a bunch of them and have had the pleasure of driving several. Spent the most time in Delphine IV. If I can learn how to post pictures (computers are not my thing) I have an old Hacker Craft that was a rum runner and we believe it to be a gentlemans race boat, if not a early gold cup boat.
MKC Syd is offline Find More Posts by MKC Syd
Old Apr 04, 2010, 09:55 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,779 Posts
I think it would be a good idea. Here are some of my thoughts.

You mention old woodies; that implies some sort of age cutoff - like prior to 1950 or any woodie older than 30 years. That type of cutoff would eliminate some newer manufacturers like Grand Craft and Van Dam boats.

The few boats you mentioned are either pleasure boats or race boats. Would the wooden warships be included? I'm talking about the PT's by Elco, Higgins, & Huckins; LCP/LCR/LCVP made by Higgins, Chris craft, and others; wooden subchasers from WWI; USCG 75' 78' & 80' Patrol Boats built or designed during Prohibition.

I did a search of the Scale Boats forum for various makes of wooden boats, and got almost 1200 threads; figuring about 15% to be duplicate listing, brings the number down to 1000 threads. Here are the results by the numbers (and they do include this thread):
Chris Craft - 409 threads
Century - 162
Elco - 139
Matthews - 138
Trojan - 72
Higgins - 72
Dodge - 53
Lyman - 50
Dolphin - 21
Garwood - 13
Hackercraft - 11
Hutchinson - 8
Dart - 7
Huckins - 6
Stancraft - 4
Truscott - 4
Greavette -3
Sea Lion - 2
Minette - 1
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Last edited by CG Bob; Apr 04, 2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old Apr 05, 2010, 06:33 AM
Joined Feb 2009
822 Posts
Initially it seems the idea of a vintage group has interest from some highly qualified sources, urologists not withstanding. I sure would like to see PatMat and MACK with their Legend Model Boats step in here and give their 2 cents as well as others. My shop is ready and the mahoghany is waiting.
Nederlander is offline Find More Posts by Nederlander
Old Apr 05, 2010, 09:07 AM
1000 Islands, NY
Joined Dec 2009
466 Posts
I would also be up for that - Like Syd's, my family has long been active in the 1:1 antique boating scene, from small outboards to 26-foot mahogany utilities. I've built several static model outboard boats over the years using plans from 1950s era "How To Build 20 Boats" and "Boatbuilder's Handbook" type collections.
- Scott
Chinewalker is online now Find More Posts by Chinewalker
Old Apr 05, 2010, 11:10 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,571 Posts
On the subject of multiple specialized forums, I'm torn. Check out the "complexity" at:
http://www.modeltugforum.com/
and
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php

It's almost too much to deal with...
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Apr 05, 2010, 11:49 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,697 Posts
If we keep this up there won't be any more "scale boats" topic. I can see the "steam" topic and the "sail" topic and nobody like the old wood runabouts any more than I do but this is getting too spread out. Don't see a need for another topic for wood as most of what we have here now is wood. Seems redundant to me. Pete
norgale is online now Find More Posts by norgale
Old Apr 05, 2010, 11:53 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,598 Posts
"Classic Woodies" is what I think the OP was suggesting. If a forum for all wood boats, as CG Bob suggested, was made it would basically be a near clone to the Scale Boats forum as it exists now.

I think a forum dedicated to the classic woodies, IE the mahogany runabouts, would be just dandy.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Apr 05, 2010, 01:15 PM
1000 Islands, NY
Joined Dec 2009
466 Posts
I agree. The current scale forum runs the gamut of tug boats, warships, fishing vessels, scale racing boats, runabouts, cruisers, etc. Some sort of delineation between warships/work boats and classic runabouts/pleasure boats might be in order. The term "woodie" is most often used to refer to the classic mahogany boats from prior to 1960, but I think can be used in our terms to denote a classically styled power boat constructed mainly of wood.

A better means may be to simply split Scale into two groups: warships/workboats and pleasure boats.

- Scott
Chinewalker is online now Find More Posts by Chinewalker
Old Apr 05, 2010, 06:02 PM
NW NW Washington
Joined Aug 2007
713 Posts
If you look at the count of members online for Scale Sail and Steam, it's usually very small. Why start another specialty topic when Scale boats seems to cover all of them, and gives the reader a chance to easily look at boats other than those in his specialty? K. I. S. S.
CGAux26 is offline Find More Posts by CGAux26
Old Apr 05, 2010, 06:51 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,385 Posts
Fat Beech was working on a "Watercar"... here in the scale forum.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=912474

Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Apr 05, 2010, 07:28 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,784 Posts
I am just posting my thoughts on the idea of a separate forum for just “woodies” as you call them. I do not think that it could add much more than what has been coming forth on this forum. To split off to a separate forum might even hurt more than help because a person who really is not in to that type boat would have no reason to go to that forum.

The difference, as I see it, with this forum is that you do have a varied group of craftsman and craftswoman building and posting on this forum, if you do look at it, more than likely you will read the different threads as they are posted. The chances of a person looking at one of the “woodies” threads is increased because of the fact that it is intermingled with the other typed of scale built threads that are being posted.

As for Legend Model Boats, we are committed to manufacturing the finest possible scale wooden kits we can, from the ranks of the great boat builders and companies of the past. With are partnership with the Antique Boat Museum of Clayton, NY, we have the wherewithal to be manufacturing scale model boat kits from a variety of manufactures far into the future. We will be stretching or legs how ever, from time to time, to manufacture subjects other than the classic mahogany’s, as variety will keep the senses sharp and free from monotony.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Apr 05, 2010, 11:17 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,599 Posts
I am a member of the Avalanche Fan Club of North America. http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php . Their forums are a mess. The mess is from over organizing the categories. I love the club, I love my truck, and I try to help out there when ever I can just as I do here, but it is hard to keep track of what you posted and where and what questions have an have not been asked/answered because the information is too spread out. I feel that even though these boats are wood and that makes them different from the glass, steel, alum. hulls they should not be on their own category. Even though the prototype is made of wood it is still a scale boat. If we keep breaking it up like that then we would have subcategories like:

Wood, sailing
Wood, tugs
Wood, Steamers (not tugs)
Wood, pattleboats
Wood, Racing boats
Wood, Chriscraft
Wood, Etc
and them make the same with glass, steel (riveted and welded) aluminum, and so on for materials.

At the end of the day they are all scale boats and should just be treated as such, I dont want to have to search through 15 different categories to find information on finishing a stained deck and what kind of boat would I be able to find that information from. ya see what I mean? Lets keep it nice and neat like it is now.

Massey
Massey is offline Find More Posts by Massey
Old Apr 05, 2010, 11:34 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,606 Posts
Massey,

Ditto, A+
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat