HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2010, 07:20 PM
Joined Mar 2010
110 Posts
Discussion
So what do you guys think? I took my Super Cub to the

park last Thursday - April 1st - guess i should have know it was going to be bad.

The flight started off great - light breeze from the south a little gusty. Took it up and landed it twice no problems. Decided it was too nice to quite and tossed it one more time - brought it around to land, got a little to close to a tree - then a gust - and it got caught.

Tried everything to get it down. One nice guy went and got several sections of PVC pipe - but we couldn't reach it - left my phone number with him. I had to leave - came back - several guys offered to knock it down with a basket ball - baseball - they hit it no luck. I had to go out of town Friday.

Yesterday I went to the park when I got home - the plane was gone - no one to ask what happened - went home.

Today I found someone at the park who saw a guy in a van rig up a long pole, climb a ladder and reached it - knocked it down - put it in his van and drove away with it - gone.

I posed a lost plane note on the board with my phone number - nothing yet.

Now what?

Guess I buy another plane?

Mike
mrdb is offline Find More Posts by mrdb
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2010, 08:04 PM
What's that button do?
Hollywood, FL
Joined Feb 2008
1,347 Posts
Chalk it up to an insensitive society and learn from it. Sorry about your loss though.
Shpook is offline Find More Posts by Shpook
Old Apr 05, 2010, 06:44 AM
AMA #953123
Eugene, ORYGUN
Joined Mar 2009
2,203 Posts
Check at your LHS and see if someone came in with it. Either to ask about the owner or try to get it working.

Worth a shot.
VROOMSTER is offline Find More Posts by VROOMSTER
Old Apr 05, 2010, 07:48 AM
Joined Mar 2010
110 Posts
I posted my phone number on a missing plane poster with a picture of the plane.
The park guy said it was ok to put it up.

If the creep doesn't want to call me and turn it in - well - beyond that it ain't worth my time.

I could understand if the wind had blown it down and the guy was just walking by and picked it up.
But he rigged a 40+ foot pole and ladder to get it down - then drove off with it - well I just don't understand. creep.

I suppose someday I'll see the creep out flying it - creep.

Kinda spoiled the hobby for me. creep.
mrdb is offline Find More Posts by mrdb
Old Apr 05, 2010, 12:20 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,390 Posts
Crappy... really crappy. Probably you are not dealing with someone actually in this hobby. A Super Cub is not worth stealing. It's worth less than the good karma of giving it back. A noob might not know that. However, they may just not know how to find you. ALWAYS put your name and number on your planes. With foamies, you can write it on the actual plane, and put some packing tape over it.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Apr 05, 2010, 12:23 PM
Joined Aug 2007
709 Posts
The AMA club I used to fly with insisted that every model (and every TX) had the owner's name and phone number listed on/in it. This is, if I'm not mistaken, mentioned in the AMA rules.

I still follow this "rule" to this day (except for my land vehicles)

Sorry to hear about your loss.
FMB42 is offline Find More Posts by FMB42
Old Apr 05, 2010, 02:03 PM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
I added to my flying skills the ability to climb on trees..just in case
nicoyenny is offline Find More Posts by nicoyenny
Old Apr 05, 2010, 05:15 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
When things like that happen to me, I lay in bed at night and conjure up all kinds of vicious and evil and nasty stuff to happen to the thief. I would picture my plane on his workbench, starting up all by itself, and in his panic to shut it off, the prop would chop all his fingers off, and maybe one of his legs too. And then it would slice into a power cord and cause a short, and start his house on fire, and then the wind would pick up and his whole town would be burned down. And in the middle of it all his teenage son would come in and announce that he decided he likes guys and wants to run away and get married to his best buddy.

Then I fall asleep, all rested and calm.

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 05, 2010, 05:17 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone View Post
....wants to run away and get married to his best buddy.
Well at least it has a happy ending
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Apr 05, 2010, 05:18 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Roflmao !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 05, 2010, 06:12 PM
Im gilfrisco
Sacramento
Joined Mar 2010
24 Posts
Is time travel an option
Raab is offline Find More Posts by Raab
Old Apr 05, 2010, 06:24 PM
You torquing to me?
Vancouver, WA
Joined Mar 2010
610 Posts
When ever i go to a field with lots of trees i always bring a fishing pole with a big weight. it always works
slyfoxflyer66 is offline Find More Posts by slyfoxflyer66
Old Apr 05, 2010, 06:27 PM
Joined Apr 2006
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMB42 View Post
The AMA club I used to fly with insisted that every model (and every TX) had the owner's name and phone number listed on/in it. This is, if I'm not mistaken, mentioned in the AMA rules.

I still follow this "rule" to this day (except for my land vehicles)

Sorry to hear about your loss.

I know a couple O'l timers who used to lable all of their planes with address, phone #, etc.. Then I noticed one day that their lables had been removed. I asked why? Liability was the main reason.
"IF your plane flys out of sight, eventually lands in flower bed on top of a car, or house etc.. it can be sue baby sue!" Most everyone that day agreed it's better to loose a $200-$300.00 plane then being sued!
flyer2004 is offline Find More Posts by flyer2004
Old Apr 05, 2010, 06:35 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfoxflyer66 View Post
When ever i go to a field with lots of trees i always bring a fishing pole with a big weight. it always works
What do ya use for tree bait... squirrels?
Old Apr 05, 2010, 07:15 PM
You torquing to me?
Vancouver, WA
Joined Mar 2010
610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer2004 View Post
I know a couple O'l timers who used to lable all of their planes with address, phone #, etc.. Then I noticed one day that their lables had been removed. I asked why? Liability was the main reason.
"IF your plane flys out of sight, eventually lands in flower bed on top of a car, or house etc.. it can be sue baby sue!" Most everyone that day agreed it's better to loose a $200-$300.00 plane then being sued!
I was just about to write my number in my plane when you said that. lol
slyfoxflyer66 is offline Find More Posts by slyfoxflyer66