HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 27, 2010, 05:40 PM
United States, OH, Richfield
Joined Aug 2007
1,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
Pops, I just noticed your collection of flight helmets and goggles, etc. Very nice! I had some nice gear myself, but it was stolen from my Dad's apartment parking storage locker when I was away playing Army. I had a black leather USN flying helmet, from the 30's. Had stiff leather openings around the ears for push fit of the headset speakers to go into. I had a khaki cloth USN helmet from WWII, with green oxygen mask that snapped onto it. And I had a WWII leather jacket that the B-17 pilots would have worn. I also had various collar insignia, pilots wings, and other regalia. All genuine stuff too. Some dirty rat bast**d stole it and lots more.
That is a dirty shame Kmot. What I am noticing is the original stuff is getting harder and harder to find, but there is getting to be more and more reproduction and knock off stuff showing up. Probably the most valuable piece I have is the A-8 oxygen mask. Even with the deteriorated bladder it, being original and rare has some value to it. Here is a closer look at the heads, and also the size of one of the barge segments next to the owner of the towboat.
pops52 is offline Find More Posts by pops52
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2010, 05:46 PM
Joined Aug 2007
1,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by more coffee View Post
Talk about brute force and ignorance

What do figure she could pick pops.?.
more coffee, I really don't know. I don't know where the weakest link will be. Line pull? Something structural? Displacement? I just hope I'm smart enough to stop short of whatever it is.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 08:17 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,181 Posts
LOL..Pops the lady in the last picture looks less than impressed.
That pontoon is massive!!

As far as she will pick ..I know its early and you plan to use brass on some parts ....

Generally just so i can keep from going insane with a calculator everytime..A gearhead motor that deliver's 30 N/cm at the shaft is over 2.70lb of torque@ the shaft
Very generally speaking ..on a single part line you'll generate a few ounces less than 2.5 lbs of pull at the shaft ..

the drum diameter's ..Im sure you already know well play an important roll in reducing your pull..If anything the line pull would be the fuse depending on the gear head you chose ..
Might be a good idea to use a self-re-setting breaker on the gearhead motors over a fuse ..at least if you trip it ,a moment later you can get rid of the load ..

Cant wait to see more !!..Man I really need a lathe
more coffee is offline Find More Posts by more coffee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hi!
Old Apr 27, 2010, 08:48 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,682 Posts
The crane in the picture is spectacular. Got anymore pics of it. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What's a blog for?
Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:04 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,017 Posts
Thanks for the closeup pics, Pops.

Your lady looks like she is suitably impressed with the new addition. The red and gray crane is awesome. I would love to play with something like that out at Hansen Dam.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Apr 28, 2010, 05:41 AM
Joined Aug 2007
1,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgale View Post
The crane in the picture is spectacular. Got anymore pics of it. Pete
Thanks Pete. Here is the link to the history of my tower crane: http://www.clayt.com/diversion-4.htm
Old Apr 28, 2010, 08:47 AM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,009 Posts
Nice crane. and big too.
You would be the perfect man pops to manufacture cranes to launch our boats at the lake. You game?
Jerome Morris is online now Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Apr 28, 2010, 09:57 AM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,691 Posts
Speaking of launching pops how is getting this beast in the water going to go? Maybe you will need one of these:

http://www.thebeachlauncher.com/

Hey, its R/C.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:29 AM
Joined Aug 2007
1,213 Posts
Jerome, I'm on it. when do you need me?

Prins,

I envision a grappling hook connected to the barge's freewheeling winch and tossed out in the pond. The barge would then drag itself from the back of the SUV, across the parking lot, over the park grounds, and finally into the water. Will dedicate one channel to operate an X-Acto #11 blade to allow the severing the grappling line.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 04:35 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,691 Posts
When you reverse the process what will the hook do to your SUV interior? Suppose you could tie off to the gearshift and eliminate the hook.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Apr 29, 2010, 04:41 AM
can you land on that ?
Scottish Highlands
Joined Jan 2005
3,236 Posts
Our local newspaper here in NE Scotland has a picture of a new arrival in the Moray Firth . Moored off the town of Nairn is the Saipem 7000 heavy lift (among other things) semi-submersible. Not a barge but it is a must-see, can lift 14,000 tonnes ! It is only 50 miles away so I`m sure the Lady Muriel would enjoy a shopping trip there soon ! Second largest in the world, Wikipedia has all the details and links to pics. Wonder if any enterprising boat owner is doing trips out to it. My Springer fleet is going to have a crane barge soon but this aint it , what a size it must be, can accomodate 800 people. Pops I`m in awe at your build, well done.
arrow5 is offline Find More Posts by arrow5
Last edited by arrow5; Apr 29, 2010 at 04:49 AM.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 05:50 AM
Joined Aug 2007
1,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow5 View Post
Our local newspaper here in NE Scotland has a picture of a new arrival in the Moray Firth . Moored off the town of Nairn is the Saipem 7000 heavy lift (among other things) semi-submersible. Not a barge but it is a must-see, can lift 14,000 tonnes ! It is only 50 miles away so I`m sure the Lady Muriel would enjoy a shopping trip there soon ! Second largest in the world, Wikipedia has all the details and links to pics. Wonder if any enterprising boat owner is doing trips out to it. My Springer fleet is going to have a crane barge soon but this aint it , what a size it must be, can accomodate 800 people. Pops I`m in awe at your build, well done.

She's a beauty for sure. Would be great to see her up close.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 07:39 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,438 Posts
if you like making Z-drives this would be a good boat for someone....The vessel was fitted with 10 thrusters—5 on each hull. They are, per hull:

* 1 No. 2,500 kW bow thrusters in athwartship tunnels
* 2 No. 3,500 kW azimuthing retractable thrusters under the hull
* 2 No. 4,500 kW azimuthing thrusters at the stern—these are used when transiting
here is the wikilink http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saipem_7000
I wonder is she is bound for the Gulf of Mexico for the cleanup when they figure out what they want to do?
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Apr 29, 2010, 08:14 AM
can you land on that ?
Scottish Highlands
Joined Jan 2005
3,236 Posts
Thanks for posting the link to Wiki Foo, I forgot. Some specification !!!! I`ll try to get some up-close pics , weather not so good at the moment. Now lemme see...who has a boat in Nairn that I know.. Hmmmm.
arrow5 is offline Find More Posts by arrow5
Old May 01, 2010, 10:42 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,438 Posts
Pops, et al.
I was on military.com and they have some videos. This one is a lift fail and I was thinking of what could have happened with a big lifter like yours.
http://shock.military.com/Shock/vide...=214299&page=1
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008