HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2010, 07:23 AM
Joined Jan 2009
2 Posts
Discussion
Problem with lost phase on brushless motor

Can anyone help me please?
I recently had ongoing problems with continually losing one phase on my brushless motor, I took it apart, resoldered on the lead and it worked, however midflight the problem reocurred. I took it apart several times repairing it, and the leads have falled apart, now after two leads came adrift, and I cannot find where to resolder the leads, I am have soldered on new leads, but the motor tries to go forward and backwards and will not start, when it did start once, it squealed then some smoke appeared. How do I determine where to solder the leads back on, do I do some unwinding and locate the winding twist and solder onto these, the motor does not have a brand on it, it has 12 posts of winds. Could part of the problem be that I made the new leads much longer?

Please help, Mark!
greentigermoth is offline Find More Posts by greentigermoth
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2010, 07:31 AM
Beep...Beep...beep
waterdown,ontario
Joined Mar 2007
1,038 Posts
Sounds like a burnt phase, probably time to rewind or replace.

Since you had smoke we know the windings over heated and burnt off the coating on the wire.

Shane.
imyohero is offline Find More Posts by imyohero
Old Apr 04, 2010, 08:12 AM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,900 Posts
If you keep running the motor with a bad phase you risk burning out your speed control.

As above: Rewind or replace.

Any time you let out some magic smoke its done.
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed