HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2003, 11:41 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,597 Posts
F4F Wildcat Foam Parkflier Pic

Carved and sanded blue foam from plan by Don Srull. Original stick and tissue model. WS-30",Elev. rudder, M-100, Gws equip.
11 oz AUW with 7-270 nicads. ready to maiden if wind ever dies down! It's been blowing here for over a week!
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2003, 10:51 AM
I crash, therefore I FLY!
Spring Hill, FL
Joined Feb 2003
1,489 Posts
Perzactly! This is the kind of model I'd like to be building! (And if it came out looking *half* that good, I'd call it a sucess.)

Carved and sanded out of blue foam? Was this from the blue core fan fold stuff? Or is there a thicker blue foam available? I've heard where people have taken thinner sheets and laminated them together, but haven't heard which of the various glues was used for that process.

Part of what makes this particular model so appealing to me is that it's size and weight puts it in the same class as the F.F.X. Foam Fighters, so it should fly very well with the same power systems those models were designed for. Namely, speed 400, direct drive or geared. Low-cost, fast and FUN!

I'm not familiar with the designer's name, so where might I find this or a similar plan?

Next time you build one like this, pull-eeeez take some construction pics!

Mike S.
(aka "mad mike")
Spring Hill, FL

-----------------------------------------
Are they supposed to do *that* ?!?
There is no one true way.
I crash, therefore, I FLY!
mad mike is offline Find More Posts by mad mike
Old Jun 02, 2003, 03:39 PM
Dude, where's My Plane?
Green Lane PA USA
Joined Mar 2001
2,167 Posts
Very nice! More pictures.
JasonJ is offline Find More Posts by JasonJ
Old Jun 02, 2003, 04:17 PM
Go Giants!
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Jun 2002
1,069 Posts
I agree, that is a beautiful plane. Great job.
Flybyguy is offline Find More Posts by Flybyguy
Old Jun 02, 2003, 04:57 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,712 Posts
Schweet!

Now that's what I like to see, light-weight parkflyers. There's a lot of Speed 400 models in this size but I think lighter is better.

I'd probably go up to a Speed 300 with 720 NiMHs which would add about 3 ounces but still nice and light!

A real inspiration. I've been looking for a light-weight foam F8F but all that's around is balsa. Maybe I'll have to get some depron and start fiddeling...

--Mark
thunder1 is online now Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Jun 02, 2003, 05:03 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,597 Posts
Mad mike,
I think you need to stay with geared systems for these types. This is a full airfoil wing unlike the Storch and Zero which are undercambered. But this is for park and slowfly, actually should fly quite scale to its full size counterpart. It does have a thick airfoil so slow and stable should be the norm. I think a sp400 either geared or not would be too much raw power besides the weight gain. With a sp400 at 3 oz plus the bigger batteries needed, then you're looking at at least a 3 oz weight gain. Instead of a WL of around 8oz, you're looking at maybe a 12 oz WL. Big difference and you have just defeated the purpose of the model. Just my feelings.
Have to give all the credit to Don Srull. He's just one of a bunch of tremendously talented modelers out of the D.C. area, Maxecuters they're called. I have several of his plans and they're all great. He used to have articles in Flying Models all the time and I'm sure you can get the plans from them. I do like the way it came out but wasn't crazy about the paint, just looked better when I bought it. Came out lighter looking than I wanted. But hey, got bleached out on Guadalcanal, right?
And the blue foam I'm talking about is the 2" thick in sheets 4' by 8'. Costs around $28 per sheet here and they use alot of it. I have heard of people in other areas getting it alot cheaper. You might have to pay a premium for it but I really like working with it. I can scroll or hot wire, carve, and sand a rough fuse out in about an hour of solid work. After that everything slows down.
I also ordered fan-fold( the 1/4" blue with plastic covering ) from Kansas and it cost about $41 including shipping. The Storch's wings are made of it. All the other undercambered wings I have built were hot wire cut with two separate templets. Now that is a little time consuming.
You will really need to have a hot wire to do wing cores. Much better chance of success instead of trying to carve a true airfoil by hand. They are super easy to build although I bought my first one from Wing Mfg and still use it. I just use a 12 V car battery that I keep in the garage and have a little trickle charger hooked up to it to keep it going. Works great. I had a 6-12 volt charger that I tried but the amps weren't high enough so I went to the battery. If your doing it in the garage( NOT IN THE HOUSE!!!) I guess you could just use one of the cars' batteries. Anyway a guy once told me, you can't do a proper job without the proper tools.
If you need the address of Flying models, let me know but they are on the web. I have been collecting plans ( almost all scale ) for the last 25-30 years. Last count was something like 350-400. Have them cataloged so I can find them, well most of them. Anymore questions, shoot, I'll try!

Jason J and Flybyguy,
Appreciate the kind comments, glad to share. John
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 02, 2003, 05:19 PM
A Little Left of Reality
Joined May 2003
47 Posts
Thunder1

If you're looking for some Depron check www.depronusa.com. we're stocking it in the US now.

Carl
seacrabb is offline Find More Posts by seacrabb
Old Jun 03, 2003, 04:04 PM
USA, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Jun 2003
94 Posts
Bowers and Srull gave you the inspiration aqnd the outline, but you deserve a lot of credit for making this stickand tissue cutie into a foamie.

The plan was published in Model Aviation, Nov. 1978.

Plan No. 238
Wildcat: RC Ace pulse rudder, .02 Grumman fighter by Bowers and Srull.

$3.75

PLEASE ALLOW 3 TO 6 WEEKS FOR DELIVERY. within the United States--longer for overseas. All plans are sent by First Class mail. (If you wish your plans mailed in a tube, please add $3.00 tube cost.) Please include $3.95 for shipping and handling for domestic orders. (Customers outside the U.S., please add an additional $3.00 for postage and handling.)

Make check or money order (payable in U.S. funds drawn on a U.S. bank)

AMA
5161 East Memorial Drive,
Muncie, Indiana 47302.
Snow Owl is offline Find More Posts by Snow Owl
Old Jun 03, 2003, 04:42 PM
Zen Flying Master
Sweetwater, TN
Joined Sep 2002
829 Posts
thought I'd help out a little here, the link should not have the period.... http://www.depronusa.com otherwise you end up at the bank of america website....lol
AUBrian is offline Find More Posts by AUBrian
Old Jun 03, 2003, 04:57 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,597 Posts
Snow Owl,
Thank you very much for pointing that out and providing the info for the plan. I didn't get it out, just tried from memory ( and that's getting worse every year)! I forgot Hurst Bowers and I apologize.
If anyone wants this, there is the info. It is a nice plan as are all of these fellows creations. I have several others.
You might also want to tell about other plans available thru AMA.
John
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2003, 06:03 PM
Baboon McGoon
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
Joined Jun 2002
671 Posts
Absolutely a work of art. I thought about building the F4F Wildcat from those very same plans back in 1978, but it would have been too much of a high speed missle for me. Really ingenious converting plan to blue foam. Don't criticize your paint job. I'm also a plastic modeler and its looks great. Bowers and Srull's designs are really "the bees knees" aren't they?!
ClipperBill is offline Find More Posts by ClipperBill
Old Jun 03, 2003, 08:18 PM
Camarillo, CA.
Joined Aug 2002
113 Posts
John:

Joe Foss would be delighted. And what an outstanding finish for carved foam. I would be very interested how you did it and kept it light.

If Don Srull designed this mid-wing ship with such little dihedral and it was okay on R & E so be it. I'm a little uneasy about the lack of roll moment with the configuration the way it is.

Let's hear how she flies.

Nathan
aeronately is offline Find More Posts by aeronately
Old Jun 03, 2003, 11:57 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,597 Posts
Clipper Bill,
I didn't build this as a slimer because I as recall it required a .020 TD and I din't have one. Had a .020 but w/o throttle. I flew enough rudder only w/o throttle to know they can sometimes be a handful- you are sort of committed if you know what I mean.
Aeronately,
Yes, if Don and Hurst designed it, I don't see any problem with it. Am itching to get it in the air but our weather has been horrible- wind, wind, and more wind. I trashed up my Corsair yesterday just for the sake of a couple of pics.
Am a little worried about tip stalls but we'll get some altitude and check things out.
Thanks for the comments guys. John
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2003, 01:35 AM
Coquitlam BC
Joined Jan 2003
536 Posts
Did you make templates for the fuse based on the stick and tissue formers? Or did you eyeball it?

I would love to know how to carve a fuse like that!

Master teach us!!
Huckebein is offline Find More Posts by Huckebein
Old Jun 04, 2003, 06:49 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,913 Posts
Hey J,
Man... that is super! The fus. looks great... Why didn't you do a scale wing? What pilot did you use? Can you do a close up pic.?
Great job!
Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr