Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 11, 2010, 12:58 AM
Hangar queen hoarder
Denver, CO
Joined Jul 2006
3,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
looking at those ducts, you could get a 2500 4s on each side no problem. i guess time will tell when we get them in our hands
Can't wait.... I bet she's gonna sound sweet with that tiny intake and 1200-2000 watts
tailslide5_0 is offline Find More Posts by tailslide5_0
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2010, 12:59 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,490 Posts
probably nice and quiet with a HEt fan.... i know my big sabre is stupid quiet with the nice small duct and round lip. sounds WAY clean. the alfa with the smaller duct and fat lip sounded wicked clean on the cut down HET. i bet you could fit a set of MAP's in this thing though....id never pay that much for gear that size though.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Apr 11, 2010, 01:15 AM
Suspended Account
Mokena,Illinois -United States
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
Yeah Glenn, but a 3300 mah lipo with a 2,000 watt motor wont get ya much of a flight. I dont mind my models weighing more anyways. Just look at the glassed ph3 16's. They are portly, but are still totally doable. I like landing hot anyways, more jet like.
lavochkin is offline Find More Posts by lavochkin
Old Apr 11, 2010, 01:16 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,490 Posts
were the anti ron! youll be able to get 4s 5000 in there no problem, even if that means 2s 5000's or 2500 4s's. going past 1500W seems kind adumb on a model this size, maybe a 5s flight here and there though... ;p
Old Apr 11, 2010, 06:08 PM
Miami, Florida
Joined Oct 2006
216 Posts
Has anyone looked at the Hobby Lobby F86 drop tanks? I wonder if they are sturdy enough to use on this bird. I think that the bottom of the tanks are re-enforced with plastic or something similar. With or without wheels the tanks are the way to go. Dolly or bungee launch, landing on the tanks. Specially when operating on grass.
Ralph E is offline Find More Posts by Ralph E
Old Apr 11, 2010, 06:11 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,490 Posts
theyd look way too small for 1, and 2....they are built real light....aka....not nearly strong enough for a fast landing, 3 lbs ship like this.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 07:50 PM
Miami, Florida
Joined Oct 2006
216 Posts
Parkflyerplastics.com has different sizes of drop tanks available. Worth taking a look
Ralph E is offline Find More Posts by Ralph E
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:29 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,705 Posts
I admit that I'm just a newb to EDF jets and am flying a GWS ME-262 with gear. I don't get it that smallish ARF scale model jets must have retracts, speed brakes, pencil sharpeners, etc. and go 140mph. A scale model, IMHO, should fly at scale-appearing speeds if the objective is scale-like flight. An over-powered P-51 appearing to fly at 1000 mph or a J-3 Cub that appears to be flying at 300mph looks all wrong to me. Our models normally fly in small racetrack patterns with frequent takeoffs and landings , so gear hanging down looks OK to me. If you must fly from a grass field, hand launches and belly landings are OK but I much prefer taxiing and scale-like takeoffs and landings on smooth surfaces.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:34 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,490 Posts
personal preferance i like scale looks, and good looking speed. i like performance. to put it kindly....scale speed for a model this size is about its takeoff speed. this particular model is about 1:12.5 scale. a real sabre could only go about 650mph at sea level(on a good day) thats about 65mph for this model.....thats REALLY slow. it would barely be flying at that point. id like to see a good 130mph or so. shouldnt be much of a problem. alot of us gus like scale touches like flaps ect. just because we like them, dosnt really mean you have to, again, its a personal preferance. if your happy with the fixed gear, thats great more power to ya.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:47 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,237 Posts
The problem with "scale speed" is that it's completely subjective. To my eyes, linear scaling simply doesn't work - and the aerodynamics don't hold up well using linear scaling either, due to Reynolds number effects and such. One of the reasons linear scaling doesn't work for me is the dynamics of the model. Wind gusts and all the other little bumps you see in flight are magnified at the lower speeds, and really distract from the scale appearance IMO.

It's not perfect, but I prefer using the square root of the scale to figure out how fast a model should go. A 1/12.5 scale jet would then fly at about 1/3.5 the speed of the full scale. A typical high speed airshow pass isn't 650 mph, it's more like 450-500. 1/3.5 of a 450mph pass would be about 129 mph, well within the capabilities of a model like the Sabre with the right power system.

My opinion is that this approach not only provides the best scale appearance, it also allows for impressive performance.
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 17, 2010, 01:24 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,490 Posts
well said dave

any update on arival?

thanks from one sabre driver to another
Old Apr 17, 2010, 09:17 PM
Suspended Account
Mokena,Illinois -United States
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
Dave I am begging you to make a mig-15 as this sabres stable mate. It will complement this model well and those Migs fly so well its not even funny. Just make sure ya do the same sized inlet as the sabre meaning keeping it scale and it must have proper anhedral. Oh man my wallet just lit on fire. LOL!!!! Please, I beg you guys to make that one next!!

Joe
lavochkin is offline Find More Posts by lavochkin
Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:57 AM
Gary P
Joined Aug 2007
224 Posts
Well. the real MIG had a bigger inlet than the Sabre of course, which means it works even better as a model without cheater holes. If E-Flite made a MIG with the same powertrain as the Sabre it would probably have a 10mph speed advantage. You're right, I hope they make one!
flamehead is offline Find More Posts by flamehead
Old Apr 19, 2010, 01:01 AM
Hangar queen hoarder
Denver, CO
Joined Jul 2006
3,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamehead View Post
Well. the real MIG had a bigger inlet than the Sabre of course, which means it works even better as a model without cheater holes. If E-Flite made a MIG with the same powertrain as the Sabre it would probably have a 10mph speed advantage. You're right, I hope they make one!
They have to! It's like selling peanut butter but not jelly.
tailslide5_0 is offline Find More Posts by tailslide5_0
Old Apr 19, 2010, 01:06 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,490 Posts
not really.....the larger inlet only means more drag. sure, it helps on takeoff....after it gets up to speed....it turns into more drag. yeah, the alfa mig is faster than the alfa sabre....why? because the inlet on the alfa sabre is rediculus. airframe wise, the sabre has more sweep angle, and rudder is far thinner and smaller, the fuse is more sleek, not being as "fat" as the mig. theres a reason the rael sabre was faster than the mig at high alt. its a much larger jet in full size than the mig as well. the small inlet is doing it only good in this case...a new way of thinking, and it works. case in point, jhh cougar...150mph with 120% FSA. jhh F-86, 160+ with 75% FSA. same exact power plant. now i know you cant compare them 100% because its not the same airframe, but weve seen this time and time again with the higher power setups. now...if your talking differance at say, 500W....yeah, more might be better...thats because the model cant reach the speed required to help overcome the small inlet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamehead View Post