HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 02, 2010, 02:04 AM
Suspended Account
Mokena,Illinois -United States
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
Build Log
E-flites new fully ducted F-86 Sabre "Official Mod thread"

Well its a nice change of pace from the old Cheese grater cheaters that were in the Bae hawk of theirs. It looks like a nice model. At least they kept the inlet to a small mouth bass instead of Largemouth. I wonder if it can handle retracts with a custom made duct.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL8100
I know there is another thread already, but I wanted to start a special one up.
I figured I'd start a mod thread for those who want more out of it. I pre-ordered one, so I'll try rudder and flap mods. Maybe Rodger will do some ducting to accept the e-flite retracts.
lavochkin is offline Find More Posts by lavochkin
Last edited by lavochkin; Apr 09, 2010 at 01:12 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2010, 02:32 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
I plan on a different motor setup for mine also. I'll keep the e-flite fan, but use an arc 28-47-1 instead or maybe a 28-58-1. It looks packed in the fuse, so maybe dual 2s packs would benefit more? If we absolutely can not do retracts then I'll belly land this one. Bungee may be needed. Hope not!
Old Apr 02, 2010, 05:07 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
This thread will blow up when it's released 10 months from now
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Apr 02, 2010, 11:12 AM
Gary P
Joined Aug 2007
224 Posts
The only limit to mods is the weight I reckon. Even stock it's no lightweight.

By the way, on my Mig 15 I'm using 2 x 2S packs so the airstream is less interrupted. But I see the Sabre has an internal duct up front so that doesn't really apply.

No doubt you could use 2 x 2S on top if you wanted to (for instance if you already had some). But if you're buying batteries specifically for the Sabre, one 4S might be easier.
flamehead is offline Find More Posts by flamehead
Old Apr 02, 2010, 12:16 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,931 Posts
That challenges with retracts will be how thick the wing is near the back, where the wingspars are, and how room there is under the inlet duct in the front.

I just recalled seeing a rotating electric retract at the AMA Show in Pasdena in January. I think it was SonicElectrics, the same guys that have put out the larger electric retracts. That might be the ticket. They were installed in an A-4 (Alfa maybe or GWS or the other one, not sure). The mains were rotating, don't know about the nosewheel, maybe it can be modded or that option is included?
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Apr 02, 2010, 12:32 PM
Gary P
Joined Aug 2007
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Waldrep View Post
...how room there is under the inlet duct in the front.
On my OK Models Mig-15 (which is same size as E-Flite Sabre) the height under the duct in the nose (if it had a duct) would be about 10mm (a little under half an inch). The max internal thickness of the wing is also this amount, although of course it's thinner near the trailing edge.

I guess this is enough for the retracts you're thinking of?
flamehead is offline Find More Posts by flamehead
Old Apr 02, 2010, 03:33 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,088 Posts
I'm new to the hobby, but I don't see getting retracts in this thing as the wing is paper-thin. Maybe the wheels can reside in the fuse, but that looks packed with the tube. Given 32oz loading, flap mod would be a must for a guy like me - slotted flaps in fact. Beautiful plane otherwise and probably a real rocket. Seems a little on the small side.

Don't know if I'd belly this nice plane. Wing is not fully sheeted so damage would ensue.

I think I'm still partial to the fly fly as it is bigger and seems to land easier. The gear on that one seems pretty cool as well. That one can defiinitely be bellied in.
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
Old Apr 02, 2010, 04:58 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,856 Posts
well this is by far the best looking small F-86 ...i sure wish it would have been at least 41" wing span , cause you know guys will mod them up
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Apr 02, 2010, 05:47 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,088 Posts
...And see it better. Would be nice if they would do like World Models and make 2-3 different sizes.
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
Old Apr 02, 2010, 05:48 PM
Hangar queen hoarder
Denver, CO
Joined Jul 2006
3,939 Posts
Website says "53-55 oz flying weight"

Good looking jet, though. I wonder how much just the airframe weighs...
tailslide5_0 is offline Find More Posts by tailslide5_0
Last edited by tailslide5_0; Apr 02, 2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2010, 02:01 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,856 Posts
must have retracts ....i have a few ideas just need to see if i can get it to work
Old Apr 05, 2010, 10:19 AM
Travelin' Trailer Trash
St. John, WA
Joined Jun 2008
62 Posts
E-Flite F-86

yee-haw!!!!!!!!!!!!
speycast is offline Find More Posts by speycast
Old Apr 05, 2010, 11:13 AM
Joined Sep 2005
22 Posts
Question is "can the gear handle grass like the Habu?" If so, I'm in.
jpc570 is offline Find More Posts by jpc570
Old Apr 08, 2010, 02:04 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
Well My dumb ass didnt even really read the horizon website to see that it already has a rudder. Oh well, so flaps it is and maybe working speed brakes. If we all cant figure out how to get lg in this thing than maybe as Brent said before A/S can make some bitchin drop tanks so we can throw wheels in them. Or else I'm hand launching it. I think I'll use a spare 28-47-1 arc on 4s for starters. The e-flite fan is nice too so I'll keep that. I am so happy and still in dis-belief that horizon actually used a small fsa inlet. Way to go horizon!!! You will have one hell of a FAST jet on your hands that looks more scale than almost any one I have seen.
Now all I want is for Dave at Horizon to hear my screams for a matching Hangar mate (MIG-15) with a small scale inlet also. I'd be on that like XXX on my CP!! LOL!!
Old Apr 08, 2010, 11:16 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,856 Posts
joe what do you use to adapt the arc to the 4mm adaptor on the E-flite rotor?