HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2010, 10:01 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,804 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Plating brass parts

I have been asked by several people how I plated my brass parts, so here is the process I use. I owe all my success to my neighbor who is a chemist and worked in the plating industry. I use the Caswell plating kit which uses there own chemicals (I use PNPCC28 Copy Chrome) and a simple power supply. The temperature of the chemical should be 70 degrees.

Caswell also has an Electroless Nickel plating kit, which would be recommended for salt water use. The chemical for this process needs to be heated to 180 degrees.

I HAVE UPDATED MY PROCEDURE. SEE POST #36.

ED
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Last edited by Ed Crowell; Mar 10, 2014 at 07:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2010, 10:03 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,804 Posts
  • I start out sanding the brass with 400 and 600 w/d sand papers. Then buff it in progression with the black (emery), then red (Tripoli), then white (white rouge) you also need 3 buffing wheels 1 for each compound. If I see any scratches I sand it out with 600 w/d paper then go back to the red compound and repeat until the scratches are gone, then finish with the white. The two pictures show the buffing wheel and the completed brass part free of all scratches and ready for plating.
Old Apr 01, 2010, 10:04 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,804 Posts
  • The next picture shows the Caswell plating kit consisting of the Copy Chrome solution, the wand, and the power supply.
Old Apr 01, 2010, 10:05 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,804 Posts
  • Next you will need a container of OXI Clean to scrub the brass clean and remove any oxidation and buffing residue. You will also need distilled water to put the brass part in to remove the OXI Clean solution. DO NOT USE TAP WATER.
Old Apr 01, 2010, 10:06 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,804 Posts
  • You will need 3 containers, one for the plating liquid. One for OXI Clean and one for distilled water. The bowl for the OXI Clean is 6ĒX6ĒX3Ēdeep and I use 1 level teaspoon of OXI Clean. The container for the plating liquid is a 1 cup and made of glass (donít use metal); this will hold 1 bottle of plating liquid.
Old Apr 01, 2010, 10:07 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,804 Posts
  • Letís start the plating process by cleaning the part with OXI Clean and a firm tooth brush.
Old Apr 01, 2010, 10:08 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,804 Posts
  • After scrubbing the part, dip it into the distilled water and swirl it around. Then lift it out of the water, what you are looking for is to see the water sheet off the brass and bead up on the bottom. If you see beads of water on other areas then scrub it again with OXI Clean until the water sheets off. Once you accomplish this leave the part in the water until you get ready to dip it in the plating liquid. That will keep it from oxidizing.
Old Apr 01, 2010, 10:09 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,804 Posts
  • Attach the alligator clip to the part then go directly from the water to the plating solution.
Old Apr 01, 2010, 10:10 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,804 Posts
  • Here the part is in the solution, and you need to move it around in a slow circle. If you notice; the wand is only partially submerged in the solution. If you fully submerge the wand it will plate faster or heavier. You can pull the part out after 15 seconds and look at it but do not keep it out. After 30 seconds the part was fully plated. Be sure to keep the part away from the wand and as you have the part in the solution rotate all sides toward the wand. If you donít rotate the part it will plate heavier on the side facing the wand and lighter on the other sides.
Old Apr 01, 2010, 10:11 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,804 Posts
  • Here you see the part fully plated after 30 seconds.
Old Apr 01, 2010, 10:12 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,804 Posts
  • Here in the next 2 pictures I put the part back in the solution for another minute so you can see what happens, it turns dark gray or black. Donít despair it can be cleaned up with buffing.
Old Apr 01, 2010, 10:13 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,804 Posts
  • Here is another option for buffing. Dremel makes hard and soft buffing pads to use with the red and white compounds. However in this picture I used my lathe with the buffing wheel using the red then the white to clean up the part. After plating always buff it lightly with the white compound; it produces a better shine.
Old Apr 01, 2010, 10:14 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,804 Posts
  • The finished product.
Old Apr 01, 2010, 10:15 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,804 Posts
  • I recommend you use several test pieces of brass first. Trying different steps.

• The wand fully submerged in the solution.
    • The wand half submerged in the solution.
    • The brass part close to the wand.
    • The brass part far away from the wand.
    • Make sure the temperature is between 70 and 80 degrees.
    • Perfect the movement of the part in the solution to plate all sides evenly.

Hope this helps,
Ed
Old Apr 01, 2010, 10:44 PM
GSMB Member
United States, NJ, Howell
Joined Mar 2008
1,821 Posts
Never did this Ed, looks simple. Guess most of the time is spent buffing and polishing.

What voltage is the power supply? Does it need a specific current rating?

I used toothpaste just to give some brass a nice shine. Can you explain the different compounds that can be used. Where can you buy the compounds? Lowes or HD?
ken_nj is offline Find More Posts by ken_nj